Thread: Whipped-like Cream with Coconut Milk? page

IndigoBanshee is offline Senior Member

Whipped-like Cream with Coconut Milk?

I have to admit that I'm not much of a food scientist, but is it possible to make a whipped cream out of coconut milk? Maybe with egg whites or something? I'm lactose intolerant and can't handle cream.

I found this recipe, but it had an awful lot of powdered sugar in it, as did most of the other ones I found. I also tried this simple coconut whip recipe but I don't think I have a good enough mixer because it didn't seem to work right.

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    This was just posted the other day:
    How To Make Whipped Cream from a Can of Coconut Milk | Apartment Therapy The Kitchn
    It looks pretty easy and the sugar is optional
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

IndigoBanshee is offline Senior Member
    Ah, that's like the recipe I tried, but skims off the cream into the whip and leaves the liquid. Maybe that was my problem when I was whipping it.

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    I would guess that makes a difference. Based on the picture, it doesn't look like it gets quite as fluffy as whipped cream, but still, I bet it's a delicious substitute if you want to avoid dairy.
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Put the can of coconut milk in the freezer for 1/2 hour or hour, or in the fridge over night. Skim off the cream and only use that, beat in a cold metal bowl, add a little stevia and vanilla extract if you want, and eat soon after making. YUMMO!!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    I've always been thinking about egg whites too... I think it should be tested, but it may get an eggy flavour, which may not really be what you're looking for with whipped cream :-/

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Put the can of coconut milk in the freezer for 1/2 hour or hour, or in the fridge over night. Skim off the cream and only use that, beat in a cold metal bowl, add a little stevia and vanilla extract if you want, and eat soon after making. YUMMO!!
    Can something be done with the leftovers? I have a 15 oz can of milk in my fridge for a week now, and really want to try it, but I cant' really imagine eating more than a couple tbsps, and don't really feel like throwing away the rest.

Nion is offline Senior Member
    I'm gonna try beating a can later then.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

I'm gonna try it with egg white tomorrow.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    OK, so I tried it today instead. It works OK, and I believe it would make a decent substitute. It doesn't taste eggy, which was my biggest concern.

You can't whisk them together; you have to whisk them separately, or else you'll never get air into the whites - just like it goes for any dish with whipped egg whites. Slowly mix the coconut cream with the whites, and you've got yourself something really good!
    Maybe it's a good idea to have the coconut at room temperature so it's not too hard; makes it difficult to mix. Then maybe refrigerate it before use... don't know if it's as firm with warm coconut, though.