Thread: chat first, introduce later page

Kristy2078 Guest

chat first, introduce later

Primal Fuel
    Got some chatting done, so now for my intro. I noticed that some would introduce themselves, then drop off the forums. Why not chat around for a bit, then intro?

So, HI!

I am Kristy, soon to be 33, 5'7", roughly 310 pounds. Health wise, the only two problems are my weight and hypothyroidism (yay for Hashimoto's!). Despite being fat for most of my life, my blood pressure is normal, cholesterol is normal, etc. Before 2004, I was 280 pounds. I was actually able to drop about 35 pounds in about half a year despite being busy with student teaching. Then, my health started to tank hard (fatigue, anemia, brain fog, more weight gain, really bad body pains, etc). My weight piled on until 315 pounds. I would take a nap at 5PM or so and then wake up at 2-3AM. Then go back to bed. In 2008, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and then prescribed levothyroxine. Since then, I feel 95% better. Naps are rare now, though my body insists on getting 9 hours of sleep (10 if I let it, usually after a few rough days at work). My weight had stabilized since diagnosis and so I hover around the 308 pounds mark.

I also have a big family history of hypothyroidism; both of my parents have it, my brother has it, one of my mom's brothers has it (and has had thyroid cancer as well), and I don't know who else.

I probably am not going to be 100% primal, but I do plan to try out the basics at least. Like taking out processed grain and starch foods, cutting out sugar, etc. I am really happy to see that workouts are not a huge part of Primal Blueprint :P I did go to the gym when I regained the weight I lost plus more and I still kept on gaining. I think I do have a good portion of the exercise part of PB down considering the nature of my job. I work at Walmart, but I do a lot of walking, quick sprints, squatting, reaching, bending, kneeling, using the ladder, standing on my toes, hauling loads of clothes with my hands or arms (ten pairs of jeans is heavy!), pushing/pulling loads, stacking heavy boxes on a shelf above my head, carrying heavy boxes up a ladder, standing, and so on. I had started out in the toys department, so I was dealing with lifting the heavy bikes onto their racks. Has anyone tried lifting a "dirt bike" themed bike? Holy shit... My retail job made me much stronger over the last five years.

In a thyroid disorders community I belong to, a lot of members talked about cutting out grains and that had helped them. So, BP is a good way to go and see if that works for me.

Speaking of carbs, I noticed that when I started my thyroid meds, my interest for carby foods went way down. I hardly eat ice cream, I don't care much for pastas, etc. I still love pizza, but my interest depends on where I buy the pizza (I am picky about that now). I hardly ever buy processed treats (except chocolate, of course!).

My weight goal for the meantime is 180 pounds. After that, I will see what goes.

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Kristy, and good luck to you.
    42 yo female; 5'8"
    Oct 2009: 205 lbs
    Dec 2010: 167 lbs
    Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
    Goal weight: 145 lbs

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Hi Kristy. Welcome.

I agree that you get enough exercise. Don't let some helpful person talk you into doing more.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Kristy2078 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    Hi Kristy. Welcome.

I agree that you get enough exercise. Don't let some helpful person talk you into doing more.
    Well, I have been considering adding in a bit of playground activity and basic parkour just for fun.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. And play if you like
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy2078 View Post
    Well, I have been considering adding in a bit of playground activity and basic parkour just for fun.
    Sure! You can add lots of play. Enjoy!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Dan208 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Welcome. I know what you mean about jeans being heavy. I work for Wal-Mart Distribution and always hate seeing cases of jeans. Good luck with your goals.