Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why butter? page

Kaizen Guest

Shop Now

Well I've been reading around here lately, and there's some confusion on my part. If we are to avoid dairy, how is butter allowed? Maybe I'm wrong here, but isn't butter dairy? I understand it's pure fat, but is there a reason why it's still used in a primal diet? On that note, it seems dairy seems to be used more often than I thought, either because people still want it or I'm not sure why. I haven't finished the book yet, but can someone clear this up for me? I've always been anti-dairy, it's never sit right with me and I just cringe knowing how it was made and what it is. I'm just a bit confused and it's throwing me off, not sure if I'm going the right way.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Kaizen butter is better than milk because of the lower carb content. lard is better than butter because of the lack of casein and other milk proteins.

Butter can be good or bad for you depending on your individual reaction to casein. Some people report a stall in weight loss when including casein in their diet.

Here's an interesting parallel between casein and gluten: http://2.ly/c66

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Kaizen Guest

Thanks for the info, but doesn't that give too broad a generalization for our foods? I mean couldn't I say "this has lower carbs, even though it's a bad food, it's still better than that food". Not trying to start anything here, just wondering why butter is used when all other dairy is bad, other than the carb content. Don't get me wrong, I love butter, that's why I'd like to know before I start eating it more often. Overall what would be the best fat to cook with or use on a regular basis? And you mean lard as in Crisco? Thanks.

Kaizen, this is my list of priorities:

Paleo

Primal

Low-carb

SAD

If I remember correctly, butter has significantly less than whole milk. That alone, plus the lower carb content makes butter better than other types of dairy.

About Lard: avoid hydrogenated lard, as it contains trans-fats.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Progenitor is offline Junior Member

The amount of both casein and lactose is low in butter compared to other dairy. You can use clarified butter if you want to eliminate both entirely. Clarified butter also has no water and can be stored longer.

I believe SS meant regular pork fat for lard. Personally, I prefer butter to lard due to the lower PUFA content, but as stated, individual reactions should be taken into account. Lard is also cheaper (compared to grass-fed butter). Butter is a good source of CLAs, and is a decent source of the fat-soluble vitamins. Not as potent as liver, but I would consider butter a "superfood".

Kaizen Guest

Thanks for the detailed info, that's what I was looking for. I suppose I'll read up more on butter, so is "clarified" butter good tasting? Obviously I'd like the highest quality I can get, but I'm not sure if grass fed butter would be the best.

edit: by "significant less than milk" I was referring to casein.

Marvin: yes that's what I meant. Butter does have lower PUFAs than lard. On the other hand, a healthy and properly-fed pig would have a better lipid profile than a CAFO pig.

It's a trade-off I guess: casein vs. PUFAs. It's a personal choice.

Grass fed vs. grain fed: http://2.ly/c7c

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Clarified butter is also known as Ghee, and can be found at Whole Foods among other places. Or you can do it yourself, it's not too hard! Paleo definitely excludes dairy, but Mark includes it as a "sensible vice" that can be a part of the 20% of your 80/20. He does stress, however, that all dairy should be as processed as little as possible (ie: unhomogenized, raw if possible) and the cows should be hormone free and pastured.

Some people have substantial issues with dairy, some people don't, and some people just don't know that they have issues with it yet! I have stopped drinking milk, and include very little heavy cream in my diet because I found that I'm lactose intolerant (causes some irregularity issues to put it nicely). Cheese doesn't bother me intestinally, but it still gives me acne on my chin, which leads me to believe it's the casein causing my skin issues, and the lactose causing the digestive issues. I did cut dairy out entirely for the first few months, but have let the cheese back in lately (I have the pimples on my chin to prove it...boo). It really should be no more than a sensible vice at best, not an every day inclusion in the diet.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Kaizen Guest

Well I try to exclude cheese from my diet, in fact unless I'm missing something, I don't eat dairy at all. I found it gave me acne as well, and drinking milk or eating yogurt gave me some bad stomach pains and gas and bloating. Wasn't a big fan of dairy to begin with, besides coconut milk is a wonderful substitute.

I'll be adding grass fed butter to my diet, might turn out to be better than I thought. So are any cheeses "primal"? I just read in the blueprint that Mark Sisson talks about eating an omelette with veggies, meats, and cheese. A few pages later he adds a list of the "primal pyramid", which notes that high fat dairy can be taken in moderation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast