Thread: Gain before drop? page

Chevalrose is offline Junior Member

Gain before drop?

Shop Now
    My fiance recently went to the doctor and found that he seems to have gained weight since March. We started doing low-carb a little after then although we haven't actually been strict about it until really this week. We first went down the WAPF route trying soaked and sprouted grains, and then I found paleo. We've been mildly dabbling for about a month in paleo...although as I said, have really only been strict starting this week.

In any case. Is it possible for lower carb to cause you to gain weight before you lose, or could it just have been the way he was eating between March and now that caused him to perhaps gain weight?
    -Rachel

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    There is no way anyone here can tell you for sure why he lost weight but it is possible to lose or gain being primal or low carb.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Get a body composition test done.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Being primal or low carb doesn't mean you're going to lose weight.

I can have two eggs and a couple of slices of bacon for breakfast ... or I could have a 12 oz t-bone and six eggs

Everyone's appetites and energy needs are different.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    ... or I could have a 12 oz t-bone and six eggs
    sounds good
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevalrose View Post
    *snip*
    we haven't actually been strict about it until really this week.
    *snip*
    although as I said, have really only been strict starting this week.
    It can take a month or more for people following a strict paleo/primal plan to start seeing weight loss sometimes. Other people can drop 30 pounds in that first month. Some people require strict gluten/wheat-free diets to lose weight, while some can handle it in moderation (and by "some" I mean me, but I tend to feel pretty crappy afterwards, though it doesn't seem to affect my weight).

All this means that by loosely following Atkins, Paleo, or Primal, there are no guarantees that he would lose any weight at all, even in the past several months, depending on what he ate and how his body responded to it. Everyone is different, and he'll have to work out for himself just how strict he needs to be to meet his goals.

hottierockstar is offline Senior Member
    also...gain before loss can be that fat is being released from organs/muscles (think of steak marbling) and not being burned off....ppl always think that when you go on a weight-loss journey that fat is only in your fat cells...which is why a lot of ppl give up....because you can get bigger/heavier while your body adjusts to your new habits...

oliviascotland is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by hottierockstar View Post
    also...gain before loss can be that fat is being released from organs/muscles (think of steak marbling) and not being burned off....ppl always think that when you go on a weight-loss journey that fat is only in your fat cells...which is why a lot of ppl give up....because you can get bigger/heavier while your body adjusts to your new habits...
    That is very interesting - I have noticed over the past months that whilst I have lost a lot of weight (and gone down 4 dress sizes!), it is a very bumpy ride, with some weightloss followed by quite a big gain, then more weightloss (to below the point when I started regaining) - it is very frustrating, but I think part of the whole process. It doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason to it that I can find!