Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb Refeed - Works! page

abc123 is offline Senior Member

Carb Refeed - Works!

Primal Fuel
    New to the forum, & certaintly glad to be here.. I've been reading MDA for probably a year, & just recently started reading through the forum.. Good stuff! Really like the info. & as an avid reader & web surfer of nutrition & health, I would say this has to be the most intelligent collection of "brainstorming", Q&A, etc. on the web.. (relative to nutrition & "wellness").. I thank Mark for bringing us all together, & giving us a platform to create the synergy going on here everday.. Good stuff! Hope life is good for all of you!

I walk around pretty lean, & stay in decent shape, but the principles I follow may be able to assist any level.. Every body is different, but I've been running a little experiment & have to say, I'm seeing good results.. Wanted to relay

I eat low carb on days I don't work out.. I don't do cardio (play a lot of golf though), I lift heavy weights for 30 min, 3 days a week (Monday, Wed. & Friday), & I don't eat anything until lunch.. I eat a big lunch (6 eggs, 1 avocado, banana, full fat yogurt, & cook my eggs in a lot of Olive Oil), then I eat dinner (Typically about 10-16oz of chkn, steak, salmon, etc. & maybe some vegetables).. May have a cheat meal or ice cream once a week - 10 days (or Mexican which I can't eat enough of!)

The above keeps me around 9-10% bodyfat, pretty much on cruise control..

I've started playing with the effects of a big "Carb refeed" (twice a week) to see if it would lean me out a little more (when I needed it.. If I'm going to the beach on Sat, I may refeed on Thr., so I'm a little more lean by the day I'll be shirtless).. For the past week I've been eating a ton of fruit & maybe a potato after my workout.. the only fruit I'm eating is Watermelon, Cantaloupe, & Honeydew.. But I really go after it & eat a lot (Thought it was better than slamming Gatorade, or starches.. Of course, never eating grains still)

Fruit appears to be shedding water from my body (These melons may have a "diuretic" effect on my body.. Seems to be shedding water, but I also feel amazing, look really lean, & the leptin reset literally makes me feel on top of the world.. ha.. My mood jumps through the roof for the entire next day & a half or so.. Pretty interesting.. But no doubt, this is the only effect because I'm doing a good job of dumping my glycogen stores & insulin spike isn't leading to "overkill" & fat storage.. & I'm not eating junk.. Still nutritious "watery" fruits..

I don't have a before pic, but I believe I look around 9-10% after 2 days of low carb, but after this refeed twice a week, I tighten up & may look more leaner (I understand this is simply water that I'm dumping, but could be a good tool for getting leaner looking quick for a big day.. Wedding, beach, etc)

Here's what I looked like this morning.. Calculated feed seems to work.. (I'm 5'10.5", 163lbs)

Last edited by abc123; 08-02-2011 at 10:19 AM.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    good deal, many around here are doing the carb refeeding

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Nice. Looks like you're getting good results. I'm almost exactly the same weight and height as you, but I think you're a little leaner than I am. Keep up the good work!

Also, starch (as opposed to fruit) is generally recommended for refeeds since fructose can only replenish liver glyocgen and glucose can replenish muscle glycogen, but hey, whatever you're doing seems to be working.

sweetp is offline Junior Member
    Just curious about your age and how long you've been following PB?

Edit: forgot to say I love melons too and they have the same watershed effect for me
    I eat them post training and then 30 min later have a meal high in fat and protein
    Last edited by sweetp; 08-02-2011 at 12:54 PM.

erikJ is offline Senior Member
    Nice. I just started playing around with refeeds and i notice a nice uptick in energy and less burnout. I usually do rice, potato and or sweet potato. I fend this to be a significant difference from fruit. I also do the occasional fast, usually I just skip breakfast but am going to go for a 24 hour fast in the next couple days as i need to ditch some belly fat and nothing dips into that like a good fast now and then.

abc123 is offline Senior Member
    I just turned 30.. I've been following PB for about 1 year.. I've noticed so many positive effects, only one being cutting body fat.. Love eating & training this way..

m e g a n foxy is offline Senior Member
    Congrats, you look awesome! I have a question...is it necessary to do the refeeds on workout days? If it is necessary, is it ok to do them on nonconsecutive days? I was thinking of incorporating them, but staying low carb throughout the week (even though I lift Monday Wednesday and Friday) and doing the refeed Saturday and Sunday. I'm finding it hard to know exactly when and what days to incorporate them...wouldn't doing them on my workout days keep me out of ketosis even on my low carb days? Thanks to everyone in advance
    && It's not just about living well, it's about dying well.

m e g a n foxy is offline Senior Member
    *I mean SHOULD I be doing them on nonconsecutive days as opposed the the weekend?
    && It's not just about living well, it's about dying well.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Instead of carb refeeding I just eat carbs every day. Seems to be the thing to do. You need about 50g of carbohydrate every day to prevent a drop in thyroid activity and you need more carbs for glycolytic exercise if you don't want to raise cortisol levels. That is the real carb requirement.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    For the up regulation of hormones that decline when dieting(especially in lean people), it's best to do a carb refeed on consecutive days - ie 48 hrs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast