Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P90X...anyone done it? page

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member

P90X...anyone done it?

Hubby just bought the P90X workout and is all revved to start it. I'm a little skeptical (sheesh, the spelling errors just in the mini-books!), I sense a lot of pain and soreness coming but for what he spent I'm game. Has anyone done the program? Did it work? Do you have any tips or advice before we start?

Do we need all the supplements they list? Good lord, there are TWO pages of suggested supplements!! Is there a way we can get the same goodness but in normal food? More bone broth maybe? (Guess that's a question for the nutrition forum.)
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

primalfamily is offline Member
    I am on 2nd round (phase 3) of p90x. while it is overtraining by primal definition, between eating primal and p90x, I went from 245 to 193lb and currently at 14% bodyfat in about 5+ month. hoping to hit 12% by end of this round.

I would throw away the nutritional guide though. eating primal has probably done more than the p90x.

we did the lean program in the first round with one small change. plyometric instead of cardiox. the second round has been classic. after this round, we will be doing a hypertrophy variation, which will get in more line with primal fitness. (3 day resistance and 2 day yoga is how we are doing it)

anyway, let me know if you got any questions. I am also on tbb forum.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    i think the majority of the people doing P90X dont follow the diet or really any diet. theres just no way anyone is gonna end up looking like the people in the commercials without following some sort of diet plan, be it the P90x nutrition, paleo/primal, or whatever

to me P90X just seems like a lot of work. i think you would be better off sticking to the primal blueprint formula. if you wanted to incorporate some of the P90x exercises into your schedule that would be great, just dont over do it
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I did it for 90 days and I hated it. Not because it was hard (it's hard in the beginning but you do see results quickly) but because Tony Horton needs to be shot. Most annoying person on the planet, bar none.
    If you can stand his incessant yammering, you will do fine. Just eat primally (as primalfamily said) and you will see amazing results. 80-90% of you look is what you eat. Exercising augments this process and can even speed the process, but don't expect to exercise a lot and be lackadaisical about the diet and get the results you are after. Diet first and THEN figure out what exercise regimen works best for you.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

That was my thought...well, actually, I got to the part in the nutritional guide where it said real athletics don't eat low carb and I threw it across the room (I'm flat out grumpy today). Figure eating primal has helped us a lot the last few months so we'll leave it alone. Exercise though...even with all the moving slow and weights neither one of us feel much stronger or see a difference in our bodies. Someone raved to hubby about P90x so...

scotchncoffee is offline Senior Member
    Just don't do this:
    I have used both P90X and Insanity extensively. In fact, back on my carb/cardio treadmill days I would (every day): Wake up, do an Insanity/Insanity MAX workout, go to work and slam out a 20 minute full-body medicine ball workout during lunch, and then end the day with either weights in the gym or a P90X non-cardio routine.

You know what it did? It killed my energy level and put my body into starvation. My solution now is to pop in a video every so often, but mostly to mix and match the exercises from the various programs up with some low-intensity, full-body stuff in between.

Laconophile is offline Senior Member
    It's called p90x because you're doing 90x more work than you need to. The glycogen depletion that is responsible for much of p90x's results can easily be achieved with other methods.

GaretJax is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalfamily View Post
    I am on 2nd round (phase 3) of p90x. while it is overtraining by primal definition, between eating primal and p90x, I went from 245 to 193lb and currently at 14% bodyfat in about 5+ month. hoping to hit 12% by end of this round.
    One of my office mate's husband did the p90x the same time I went primal and began doing the Simplefit routine. He trained at least an hour a day six days a week. I trained about 40 minutes a week (three short workouts; 20 minutes day one, about 15 minutes day two and about 5 minutes day three). I experienced greater fat loss and a higher increase in overall strength than my office mate's husband. In five months I dropped from 240 lbs to 180 lbs and down to 14% body fat. I think p90x is way over training for most people. The p90x guy worked out about 9 times longer than I did each week, yet I saw the better results. I think most of it has to do with diet. Although he cleaned up his diet quite a bit (cut sugar, soda, etc) he continued with the CW view on a healthy diet, while I followed Mark's primal advice.

primalfamily is offline Member
    for myself, I discovered MDA about 2-3weeks in of p90x. luckily, phase 1 diet of p90x is lower carb and sedwayed in nicely into PB. I went from 245 to 203 in round. For 47 year old guy, I am happy enough with the result and the plan, and mostly, I wanted to show that I can complete the classic, so I started the second round, even knowing it is over training. For something I can do at home without lot of gear, I am happy enough with it, but I also believe nutrition is 80% of any weight loss. in fact, I've heard that p90x2 will have paleo diet as one of the nutritional suggestion. I am almost near best fitness I have in my life, so I can't complain too hard.

garet, I am glad you found something that works for you. I will also slow down my workout to 3x resistance training a week after this round. however, I have become a firm believe in Yoga as low intensity exercise. I actually push primal fitness to many people, because it is so accessible. getting people to start to eat right and resistance train is first step, and I preach that a lot .

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    primalfamily-do you need a lot of stuff with P90? It says bands and pull up bar AND barbells. Is that stuff really needed?

Everyone else-after reading through the "instruction guides" this probably is way over training but its got hubby excited and involved (I think he's slacking on the whole move slowly, lift weight MDA approach to be honest). Right now he's so overweight and uncoordinated he stops any physical game he starts because it isn't fun. I can't see P90 being fun but I think its the whole ONLY 90 day mentality that has him interested (plus some of his friends have gone through the rounds and rave about how much they changed).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast