Thread: Will I FINALLY LGN?! page

SallyK is offline Junior Member

Will I FINALLY LGN?!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Everyone

Been glued to this forum for the last week and went primal about 5 days ago. According to the scales, I have already lost 3lb although I don't really feel any different in myself. Can this be true?

I have high hopes for this way of living so am very nervous in case I don't see any of the results that others have. I've been very inspired by the success stories threads, especially the 'before' and 'after' shots. I decided to take some before shots today and was quite horrified at what I actually look like (especially from behind - ugh)! This is what comes from not having a full length mirror and being 'used to' what I look like with the extra 15-20lb I've been carrying for the last 15 years.

I get that the focus should be more on the healthy lifestyle with weight loss as a happy by-product but I really would like to shift this weight. It's not much compared to some people here so seems feasible but I have been stable at this weight (give or take a few lbs) for so many years that I feel that it's where my body wants to stick. That's my fear, at least.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and that I'm picking up my spear with all of you. I'm 37 at the end of this month and moving back to the UK after a 3 year stint in Canada. I'd love to go back a lean, mean, LGN machine!!

Look forward to posting some better 'after' shots at some point!

Sally

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Don't compare your results to others. Some people drop 30 pounds in a month, some don't lose anything in the first month. It took you years to get to this point, and it will probably take months if not a couple of years to get where you want to be.

Read this thread here: Ditch the Scale!

Take some measurements of yourself, eat healthy primal foods, and become healthy. Everything else will work out.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!

Patience is key. I've been Primal for 9 months. Took me the first 3 months to get my metabolism balanced/healed and the second 3 months to get over all my old food habits. I am now more healthy & fit than I was 15 years ago!

I didn't have much to lose either (approx 15 lbs) and am now at 1-2 lbs away from my "ideal". I look pretty good naked for a 48 year old!
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 08-02-2011 at 06:20 AM.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    A lot of people drop significant weight early on, then slow down quite a bit. Don't let that worry you. You don't have a lot to lose and it usually gets harder as you get closer to your goal.

Also, you may actually change your goal weight as you get healthier. Sometimes our "ideal weight" is based on more of a "skinny fat" we used to be. You might find your body shape is completely different eating this way, and the old ideas no longer apply. Just keep an open mind and don't focus on the number.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

WinkBlu is offline Member
    Welcome Sally ~ I'll echo what jfreakso, Dragonfly and RitaRose said Some weeks I lose and some weeks I don't. Be patient and enjoy the wonderful food you get to eat, the long walks and the thrill of just "playing"! Remember that this is a lifestyle and not a diet. That itself helps me tremendously
    "As if you could kill time without injuring eternity"

Primal Journal *WinkBlu*

SallyK is offline Junior Member

Body Fat %?

Thanks for your responses. It's hard to be patient isn't it when you finally stumble across something that promises to be totally transformative - I just want to see results NOW!!

I agree with the whole 'ditch the scale' thing to a point and have taken measurements as I know these and how you look/feel are far better indications of how it's working out. However...a couple of months ago I was told I am 35% body fat at a gym assessment which seems alarmingly high and this is what makes me think I need to lose weight (fat). Underneath the flab is a fairly toned body I think - I just can't see it right now.

Question: what is considered a healthy body fat % in the PB world? I think CW puts it at 25% (but I may be making that up) but the guy who did my assessment said it should be more like 9% which sounds extremely lean to me and possibly too low for a woman? I know I really need to get mine down but just wondering what's reasonable to aim for?

I will endeavour to trust that if I follow the program, my body will respond and change at a pace that's right for me.

Sally

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    If your goal is to LGN, then forget about bodyfat percentages (measurement devices are very inaccurate anyway) and stick to the mirror!

The 9% is a figure for men, BTW...shows how ignorant the so-called "experts" can be!

Griff is offline Senior Member
    And even then, 9% is not "healthy," it's flat out "ripped," and not everyone needs to be "ripped" in order to be healthy.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I think 15-20% is lean in a normal way for a woman. Men's normal lean is about 10%, give or take a bit. I could be way off on the women's one, though.
    Last edited by jfreaksho; 08-03-2011 at 05:34 AM.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I was about 30% bodyfat when I started, I'm about 26% now and I highly doubt I'll ever go any lower than 22 or 23%, if that helps any.

The guy that told you 9% was an idiot.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com