Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to exercise....need help! page

incognito is offline Junior Member

new to exercise....need help!

Hi there. I have been eating primal since june 1st. I have lost about 20lbs, and am feeling ready to start working out.

I have officially worked out 3 times and it is looking a little like this.

Sprint 30 seconds, rest 60-90 seconds x8
    Lift weights/use machines/squats for about 30-40 min (targeting either my upper, lower, or core)
    Sprint 30 seconds, rest 60-90 x8

I do this about twice per week. I am still super obese at about 300lbs, and 5'5", so please be gentle in your responses as physical activity is very new to me.

The sprinting is done on an elliptical or treadmill...am too nervous to hit the pavement yet.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Congrats on the primal diet and weight loss. It's awesome that you are ready to get moving! Do you do any walking? My only exercise since starting PB has been walking/hiking and I lost plenty of weight. I'm hoping to add in a little more soon - but don't underestimate the power of walking

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    incognito - way to go! You are getting off to a good start.

So if i understand you, your twice weekly workout is 30 minutes of weight lifting, sandwiched by two sets of 8 sprints. IMHO, this is too much for a single workout. Personally, I either lift weights intensely or sprint, but not both on the same day. Obviously everyone is different, and if you are feeling great doing this perhaps it's ok. But if you find yourself wearing down -- evidenced by Friday's workout being harder than Tuesday's workout was... then you are over-training and need to give yourself either more recovery time between intense workouts, or scale each workout back a little.

Best of luck.

p.s. - A stairmaster machine is also good for No-Impact sprint work when you are ready for more intensity than the elliptical can offer.
    42 yo female; 5'8"
    Oct 2009: 205 lbs
    Dec 2010: 167 lbs
    Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
    Goal weight: 145 lbs

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    Have you read the free exercise ebook? Download from the sticky at the top of this forum if not.
    Great job getting started doing something but I think you're getting a little off track already.
    An hour combining sprints and weights isn't ideal. Two weight sessions and a separate 3rd sprint session weekly each
    lasting no more than about 20 minutes is ideal.
    30-40 minute weight session means you're either resting a LOT which is fine if necessary or you're doing too much different stuff.
    1-3 sets of a few basic exercises is all you need. 3 exercises minimum, maybe 8 or so at the very most.
    Free weights and bodyweight exercise is very probably better but DO NOT let the extremists convince you machines are not a lot better than no strength training if it realistically comes down to those choices for you.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Incognito. sounds like you are off to a good start. Whatever walking you can do would be great.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    p.s. walk. Even if it's around the block in street clothes.

Captain Archer is offline Senior Member

Captain Archer is offline Senior Member
    As you can see from those studies.
    HIIT > Chronic Cardio.
    Though I agree with the above posters having fun for 2 to 5 hours is a great way to help your weight loss.
    Go on nature walks, go swimming, walk around outside for about 30 minutes a day 5 days a week.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Hey, lady~

I think you're doing GREAT! (What is the excuse of the others who are not already moving their body?) I know it's such a cliche, but it's so true: the hardest part really is getting started. And you've already done that.

Yes, you will want to seek out nonimpact ways to do your sprints. IME, nothing (nothing!) drops the weight rapidly like sprints, so you are on your way! (Are you ready?!)

If you have access to a pool or a clean body of water, you can do your sprints in water -- pretend a shark is chasing after you and either run or sprint swim for your life. Or you can do this on a bike (either an actual rolling bike or stationary is perfectly OK, too). (Pretend a pitbull is tearing after you.) Stairmaster, elliptical, as bokbadok has already said, are great, too. Lately I've been doing my sprints on my rebounder (mini trampoline), which is also no/low impact. Also listen to jammies: plain old-fashioned walking is aces.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sprinting even on a treadmill is contraindicated for obese people -- except for a little bit of extra give it's the same on a treadmill or on the ground. Stick to the elliptical, swimming will also work if you manage to get the intensity high enough (I was never able to).

What weight lifting program (if any) are you following? I highly recommend a free-weight program (whether bodyweight or barbell, sandbags, kettlebells, etc). The key is to have a program: you should know the movements you're going to be doing the day before, and there should be a simple system that dictates when and how you advance. If you're comfortable following a program from a book, I cannot recommend Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe highly enough. Aside from being a simple (5 total exercises, 3 per workout and you squat every workout) and powerful program, the book also explains in exhaustive detail how to do each lift so that you really can learn everything from the book. The only external cueing you'll need is to check your form, and if you have a video camera you'll even be able to judge for yourself.

If you prefer to have personal attention then a personal trainer of some sort will be able to construct a program for you based on your goals. Strength is a good place to start with as increasing strength will stimulate an increase in muscle mass which is both energetically expensive (will help lose weight), and you'll be able to carry whatever weight you have more easily. Strength training can also be fairly quick: I spend less than an hour actually in the weight room, and in that time I effectively train my lower body, upper body, and my core. If you're worried about whether your trainer knows what s/he's talking about you can post the program here and we'll all be glad to pick it apart for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast