Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cravings for sour things! page

ElaineC is offline Senior Member

Cravings for sour things!

Primal Fuel
    I'm not a creative eater, in that I can eat the same thing day in and day out, and not get bored. When I decide to change it up, I'll eat different things until I settle into another routine. On the whole, I stick with Primal fairly closely and it works for me. I feel better (miles better), my fibro is getting more manageable, and I'm losing weight slowly but consistently.

Lately, I've been craving things that are SOUR. No amount of giving in seems to be helping! Its been two, coming up on three weeks, and sour is just always on my brain. Lemon juice, perfect. I'll fill a glass about 1/4 full of straight lemon juice, top it off with water and chug it down. Vinegar! Vinegar on *everything*. White vinegar, cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, any kind of vinegar, in huge amounts. I'm also drinking vinegar in water like crazy (apple cider). Tonight, sour cream on eggs over easy hit the spot perfectly. It had nothing to do with the eggs. And I put vinegar on my bacon I will have to say, it was an outstanding dinner.

I've had cravings before, and usually go on the idea that my body needs something and if I listen to those cravings (the genuine kind, not the addicted kind), I'll get what I'm lacking. Seafood for example, I will eat tons of shrimp and scallops and calamari for a week or two, then I'm good.

This latest one, this has me stumped. Right now, I'd almost kill to have a lime to gnaw on. Anyone else get a case of the sours?
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I love sour!

Fermented foods! If you haven't tried any before, go buy some Bubbies pickles or sauerkraut. Then learning to make it is super super easy. You can have fermented vegetables of all kinds, lots of different condiments (relishes, sauces, all kinds of things), dairy products, beverages, even meats & grains. All sour, sour, sour.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    +1 for sauerkraut.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I like acidic foods. I grew up on pickles, kefir and quark (the later two are milk products much more acidic than yogurt and cottage cheese). I love sour cherries and sour apples, and grapefruits. Nothing wrong with it, I hope!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I hear you!

I've recently become addicted to green olives stuffed with bleu cheese. You can't really eat more than a couple at a time, so maybe 5 in a whole day, but they're amazing. And I never have liked green olives, so it's definitely a mystery to me.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Captain Archer is offline Senior Member
    Nothing wrong with grapefruit it takes 2 of them to get to 50grams of carbohydrates. And they only have a GI of 25 when you eat two of them.

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    I'm totally with you, Elaine. I almost never (maybe once a year?) get cravings for sweets, but when I'm in a certain mood, I have a definite sour-tooth. When I dress a salad with vinegar & garlic salt, I can drink a cup or more of the excess dressing very happily. Sometimes I consider drinking lime juice straight, although I never have (bc the pure preservative-free stuff is expensive!), but I do enjoy it liberally when I drink tequila. My guilty pleasure is Vlasic Spicy Garden Mix (can be very hard to find... I buy all I see, whenever it's available), which is loaded with all kinds of artificial preservatives & colorings, but is soooo tasty.

I've always wondered what causes this preference for sour. I would say that I've had my sour-tooth ever since I started doing Zone eating (similar to primal) ~10 years ago, and it's remained since I switched to PB.

meepster is online now Senior Member
    Vitamin C deficiency? Especially if you're eating the same things every day, maybe you're not getting enough raw veggies and fruit in your diet? Sounds like you need a grapefruit or two. Or some oranges.

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    Speaking for myself, I should probably eat more veggies on a typical day; it being summer, I've been eating a lot of (raw) fruit lately. I also take 3-4 g of vitamin C per day in supplement form. Linus Pauling, who researched this vitamin extensively, recommended that every person needs between 6-18 g per day... so maybe I *am* still deficient, despite my diet & supplementation...

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Its def. not a Vit C craving, I couldn't care less about oranges or grapefruit or other citrus fruit, unless they are sour, like limes or lemons. Plus, its a bigger craving for vinegar!

If I make sauerkraut the way I see posted here (shred cabbage, water, salt, plate with a rock to keep it all under water, place for gas to get out, leave for a week or two), will it be sour? Or just ferment-y?

I may have to pick some up at the store, I have to confess I've never eaten the stuff, and I like coleslaw and cabbage so I should like it. Its up there with zomg I've never eaten an avocado - I'll get around to it one of these days :P
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast