Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bread machine recipes? page 2

AliceH is offline Member
    Most bread machines (including mine) have a quick bread setting, so yeah, that's probably the direction I'm going to end up going. I think I'm also going to try a frittata in it at some point, I can't think of a reason it wouldn't work as long as I can figure out the correct depth to match the cooking time.

Jack_B is offline Junior Member
    I was searching through this site looking for an answer to the same question as the OP but haven't found a definative one yet.

I did find a reference to this recipe but I have a few questions about it that maybe some people who are more knowlegable about baking could answer.

To start with I'd prefer to use coconut flour rather than soy flour but I'm not sure how that would change things. That recipe uses Splenda instead of sugar. This confuses me because I always thought that the reason for putting sugar into bread dough is so that the yeast have something to eat and that's how they are able to make the carbon dioxide bubbles that give bread its texture.

If that's the case does a substantial amount of sugar remain in the bread after it is baked or does it all get consumed by the yeast? If it does all get consumed then there shouldn't be any problem putting sugar into low-carb bread dough because there won't be any left when it's time to eat it. From what I gathered on another thread the essential wheat gluten in that recipe is added so the yeast have something to eat but if sugar will do the job I'd rather use that.

If anyone has some insights on these questions I would highly appreciate some help. I'm sure that I could figure it out entirely by experimentation but if there's a way to leverage outside experience so that I don't waste ingredients that would be my first choice.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    I've been using my bread machine for quite a bit using a combination of sorghum flour, white rice flour, and tapioca starch.

This has been my standard Go-To

1 1/2 cups sorghum flour
    1 cup tapioca starch
    1/2 cup white rice flour
    2 teaspoons xanthan gum
    1/ 1/4 teaspoons salt
    1 packet rapid dry yeast

edit: It's delicious

BuffaloGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    I've been using my bread machine for quite a bit using a combination of sorghum flour, white rice flour, and tapioca starch.

This has been my standard Go-To

1 1/2 cups sorghum flour
    1 cup tapioca starch
    1/2 cup white rice flour
    2 teaspoons xanthan gum
    1/ 1/4 teaspoons salt
    1 packet rapid dry yeast

edit: It's delicious
    Then you just set this to the standard time and temp of your bread machine?
    My Leangains Journey

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloGrok View Post
    Then you just set this to the standard time and temp of your bread machine?
    I make a 1.5lb loaf with medium crust. All I do is add 2 eggs, 1 1/4cup water, like a tablespoon of honey, and that's pretty much it.

I have a gluten free cycle on my breadmaker, but if you don't you can use the rapid rise cycle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12