Thread: New Goal for the Obese: Zero Gain in Pregnancy page

Steve-O is offline Senior Member

Interesting article in the New York Times today on managing obesity while pregnant.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/15/health/15obese.htm

Passage that struck me was:

"But there are concerns. The major one is that women who are not gaining weight will burn fat for energy, producing acidic compounds called ketones, which could be harmful to the fetus. Studies in diabetic women and in animals have found that babies born to women who had more ketones in their blood had lower I.Q. scores than other babies, said Dr. Naomi E. Stotland, an assistant professor of obstetrics, gynecology and reproductive sciences at the University of California, San Francisco."

I've noticed that achieving ketosis is discussed here, but I wonder if it is a practical weight-loss tactic for women who are thinking about getting pregnant at some point?

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

As long as they are not trying to lose weight while pregnant, it should have no impact.

JamieBelle is offline Member

This doesn't make any sense from an evolutionary standpoint! You know Mrs. Grok was peeing out some ketones! lol

Steve-O is offline Senior Member

Heh. Yeah, but I also can't imagine baby grok could compete IQ wise to today's babies.

If higher ketone levels in expecting moms are adversely related to intelligence of newborn babies, then perhaps as our diet diversified, and we relied less on fat for energy, our intelligence improved?

Obviously, I'm just hypothesizing from a related premise in this article. Would be interesting to study further.

JamieBelle is offline Member

The study doesn't sound like it can be generalized to women who aren't diabetic.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Well... I peed on a ketostik this morning just for you. I'm solidly in ketosis, but totally not worried.

(Though I totally will be gaining weight later on in this pregnancy - can't guarantee I won't still be in ketosis though, since that just means using fat for fuel instead of carbs - whether it's dietary fat or body fat)

I'll let you know if my baby comes out stupid in July.

PS to be clear - I'm not overweight or obese. Right now I'm 125 pounds (down from my usual 130 due to nausea) and 5' 6". Not trying to be in ketosis either - in fact, I've been eating way more fruit than I usually do.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

kam904s is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

This actually applies to me pretty firmly. I'm obese and in my 36th week of pregnancy. The thing that amazed me about my early pregnancy was that I actually LOST weight. I'd changed my diet significantly (though I hadn't yet gone primal) because they told me I was only to gain 15 pounds total due to the fact I already had fat stores.

The "weight maintenance" portion of my pregnancy lasted until about two months ago when I slowly - VERY slowly - started gaining. I've gained about twenty pounds total over the whole pregnancy and seem to have found a plateau again. Of course, it IS the holidays and I haven't been eating as well as I should the past two weeks in particular, but eating primally took care of much of the discomforts of pregnancy. I was a HUGE risk for gestational diabetes but I never developed it. Thank you primal eating!

I can't speak for his intelligence yet, but my son is estimated to be in the 70% percentile for weight. A large portion of that is probably his head (I've got a big noggin too) especially since I supplement with fish oil caps.

As for the ketones, I actually made a point of trying to stay OUT of ketosis, simply because I didn't want to put him under any extra stress. I know changing my diet dramatically probably helped him overall, but I didn't feel comfortable losing fat while being pregnant. Granted, I still occasionally IF, but never more than twelve hours and always during the day. (It's never planned either, but I'd rather be hungry for a little bit and have him survive off of my fat stores than eat the junk available during lunch somedays.) I figured that would be reasonably in line with a foraging mom-to-be not coming across any berries for lunch but managing to making it till dinner.