Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Off-Topic - Tattoos and Their Significance page

Griffin is offline Senior Member

Off-Topic - Tattoos and Their Significance

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Tattoos were mentioned in the "Weight-Loss Goal Reward" thread and I thought it would be interesting to see some peoples' tattoos and learn about their significance.

I have two tattoos:

I got this one when I was 19 and I knew I wanted a tattoo but didn't specifically have anything in mind. I figured a maple leaf was safe as I will always be from Canada.

I got this one last year. A few years ago, the movie Pathfinder came out and the tagline in the trailer was "There are two wolves living in a man's heart . . ." I did some research and came up with this story (I believe it's an old Cherokee fable):

An old Grandfather said to his grandson, who came to him with anger at a friend who had done him an injustice, "Let me tell you a story. I too, at times, have felt a great hate for those that have taken so much, with no sorrow for what they do.

But hate wears you down, and does not hurt your enemy. It is like taking poison and wishing your enemy would die. I have struggled with these feelings many times." He continued, "It is as if there are two wolves inside me. One is good and does no harm. He lives in harmony with all around him, and does not take offense when no offense was intended. He will only fight when it is right to do so, and in the right way.

But the other wolf, ah! He is full of anger. The littlest thing will set him into a fit of temper. He fights everyone, all the time, for no reason. He cannot think because his anger and hate are so great. It is helpless anger, for his anger will change nothing.

Sometimes, it is hard to live with these two wolves inside me, for both of them try to dominate my spirit."

The boy looked intently into his Grandfather's eyes and asked, "Which one wins, Grandfather?"

The Grandfather smiled and quietly said, "The one I feed."
    The story resonated with me and I hold it dear to my heart. That's why I got this tattoo.

What about your tattoos?
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

marthat is offline Senior Member
    My tattoo is shown in my profile pic above. The tiger lily is for my father who loved tiger lilies and grew them in his back yard. He died suddenly at age 81, 8 years ago. The hollyhocks are for my mother who died when I was 18. We had hollyhocks around our house and I remember her loving them. This is my third tattoo, the other two are not as "public".

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    the wolf tat is sweet. i thought about something similar except in norse tradition of the wolves Sköll and Hati eternally chasing the sun and moon

i also want an imperial insignia from star wars and a COBRA emblem from gijoe. yes i was a child of the 80s lol
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    i also want an imperial insignia from star wars
    I've been tossing that idea around for years.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    lol yeah me too i told a friend once about it and he laughed and said thats stupid. i was like well its better then some stupid tribal band around your arm. he has a tribal band around his arm, the look on his face was priceless

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I have a lame-looking flower on my ankle and a pretty cool blue and green fairy on my hip.

I'd love to get a fairly large tattoo of Rosie the Riveter and a bomber with a pinup on either my upper arm or my shoulder, but I'm waiting to see how the cash flow is going to work over the next year or so.

ETA: Oh! The significance! Really none for the lame flower. The fairy was a tribute to the Irish heritage my ex and I shared, and that my sons have.

Rosie the Riveter stepped in and did the dirty work usually done by men during WWII, and I feel like that's how my life has been, especially the past few years. It's also something my female ancestors did even earlier in history. The bomber and the pinup are due to my fascination with that era, and the other side of being a woman.
    Last edited by RitaRose; 08-01-2011 at 04:08 PM.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

erikJ is offline Senior Member
    If any of y'all want a tattoo come see me in San Francisco. Ill give you a Primal discount.
    you can see my work here.

lolov is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by erikJ View Post
    If any of y'all want a tattoo come see me in San Francisco. Ill give you a Primal discount.
    Wow. Just wow. That is some amazing work. I may just make a trip up to SF next time I'm in Cali to get a tattoo from you.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by erikJ View Post
    Dammit, why do you have to be so far away? You do beautiful work. I like how many insects you've done. I have a cicada on my right forearm. Your style would be perfect for my next, on my left forearm, which will be a sea monster from an old nautical map.

geostump is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    the wolf tat is sweet. i thought about something similar except in norse tradition of the wolves Sköll and Hati eternally chasing the sun and moon

i also want an imperial insignia from star wars and a COBRA emblem from gijoe. yes i was a child of the 80s lol
    I know 5 different people who have the Imperial insignia tattooed on them.
    Georgette

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast