Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hatha/Vinyasa Yoga page

scotchncoffee is offline Senior Member

Hatha/Vinyasa Yoga

Primal Fuel
    Recently I have been using hatha and vinyasa yoga as a combination exercise/stretch/mental health routine (and as a way to be mobile at the TV). So far I'm using it as a supplement to my regular routine, but with a few modifications I can get some good muscle fatigue.

Has anyone else had any experience with yoga as exercise? If so, good or bad?

CoS
    CoS is offline Senior Member
    I did yoga with P90X and then I took a 3 month class. I did some yesterday for the first time in a while and I definitely miss it. I think it fits perfectly into Primal Blueprint.

- The slower variations fit perfectly into the de-stress/relaxation component of a healthy lifestyle.
    - The power/exercise variations are basically bodyweight exercises.
    - The stretching and balance works those tiny muscles that just lifting weights can't really fine tune.
    - The mental focus required, as well as the breathing exercises, promote self-awareness and force you to listen to your body.

I'm definitely going to incorporate more yoga into my routine. Its nice to sprint and lift heavy, but some days I just want to relax and move slowly.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Nothing like achieving Nirvana while parked in front of the boob-tube watching The View.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    I think you'd get much more out of your yoga practice if you gave it your full attention (ie no TV). Check out this article I did on yoga and strength training.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Nothing like achieving Nirvana while parked in front of the boob-tube watching The View.
    Haha - exactly!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I just started doing Yoga with some co-workers (one is aiming to get certified so she's running one free class a week with us) and I definitely have felt it the following day almost every time, those damn cobras are tearing up my back in a pretty sweet way. We did inversions the other day that was fun.

(I have no idea what vinyasa yoga is)

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    id like to learn some yoga but not sure where to start. i have a herniated disc that gives me sciatica pain if i stretch certain ways kind of fear that might limit what i can do though
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    MIKE! DO NOT practice without going to a class FIRST, with an experienced teacher. (I'd be sure to share the info about your back as well and even prior to attending a class to make sure she/he knows how to support you through the practice without causing problems.) You do NOT want to injure yourself further. There are back care yoga classes offered at some studios that might be a good way to get into it. Once you gain an awareness of the alignment (over time and with the support of a knowledgeable teacher) you can work on a home practice...

iniQuity, I would be cautious when doing intense backbends (like a cobra). The extension is supposed to be in the upper spine as much as possible, but most folks will put all the emphasis on the lumbar spine (lower back) until they are more familiar and more open w/ it. I think doing a half cobra/sphinx style pose can be more helpful in opening the thoracic spine for many folks.

I'm really cautious/conservative though...I worry about folks getting injured. Passionately love my yoga though!! Count it as my slow/steady movement, although there are huge bodyweight components to it. Vinyasa flow yoga (all those sun salutes) is the reason I could do a burpee b/4 starting any primal style workouts. Although adding bodyweight workouts into my week (PBF style) TOTALLY improved my yoga in every way... Handstands anyone? Woo hoo!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

thanks fairy rae. it mostly hurts if i have my left leg straight and bend down or forward. its been almost 3 years since i had shots that took care of the constant pain, now i just get quick tingles if i bend the wrong way

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Great that you are so aware of how to move/not move and prevent the pain! And that you are just getting tingles and not the constant pain!!! You might be able to incorperate some yoga poses into your life very carefully as long as you stay aware of how each movement is impacting you. (If it were me, I'd def. get a private session or attend a back care class prior to going to any other kind of class just to be safe. Like I said, I'm conservative. )

My dad has had multiple herniated discs, and I know from his experience (and my own much less severe issues not long after having my son) that moving in just the wrong manner at just the wrong moment can keep you immobile for days or longer, when you are dealing w/ back issues. Primal eating has seemed to help my dad w/ the pain for some reason (lowered inflammation and the weight loss maybe?) Whatever the case, glad you are almost pain free!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

yeah the pain was horrible. it happened right between jobs so i had to wait like 3-4 months before i had insurance. i spent most of that time lying on the couch because i couldnt do anything else. it took 2 sets of shots to make the pain go away, hopefully it wont ever come back!!!

i will look into yoga classes, im sure theres probably something around here. thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast