Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is bouillon acceptable while fasting? page

croí is offline Senior Member

Is bouillon acceptable while fasting?

Primal Fuel
    Just curious. I know, it's not 100% primal. But I'm not a fan of coffee, and I heard that a glass of bouillon can help curve hunger. I IF normally for 19 - 20 hours, and have done great so far. But will drinking a glass of bouillon disrupt my fast?

erikJ is offline Senior Member
    I guess so, but it's full of salt and "stuff". It would be preferable to make your own bone broth and drink that IMHO. Personally I like peppermint tea, homegrown if I can.

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    What do you mean by bouillon? At it's basic meaning, bouillon is nothing more than broth. But it seems in the US it tends to refer to those little cubes that we drop in hot water to make insta-broth. What's in those things? I'd worry about those things be more processed than desirable.

I have no thoughts on drinking broth as a part of the fast. There seem to be more different types of fasts and opinions about fasting than there are members on the forum. It seems counter to the concept to me as you would be essentially adding calories and nutrients to your body via the broth - but I really haven't figured out fasting yet. I am curious why you want to include bouillon in your fast?
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you could find a better version but here are the ingredients for Knorr beef bouillon, which is the brand I see in the store most often:

Ingredients

Salt, monosodium glutamate, hydrolyzed soy/corn/wheat gluten protein, hydrogenated cottonseed oil, beef fat, dehydrated vegetables (onions, carrots, parsley), beef extract, water, guar gum, colour, autolyzed yeast extract, disodium guanylate, disodium inosinate, spices, tartaric acid, citric acid, hydrogenated soybean oil and sulphites. May contain traces of milk ingredients.

Holy moly.

Quote Originally Posted by girlarchitect View Post
    What do you mean by bouillon? At it's basic meaning, bouillon is nothing more than broth. But it seems in the US it tends to refer to those little cubes that we drop in hot water to make insta-broth. What's in those things? I'd worry about those things be more processed than desirable.

I have no thoughts on drinking broth as a part of the fast. There seem to be more different types of fasts and opinions about fasting than there are members on the forum. It seems counter to the concept to me as you would be essentially adding calories and nutrients to your body via the broth - but I really haven't figured out fasting yet. I am curious why you want to include bouillon in your fast?
    sorry, that is what I am referring to or the carton of chicken broth. The one I have currently is 5 calories and 1g carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by erikJ View Post
    I guess so, but it's full of salt and "stuff". It would be preferable to make your own bone broth and drink that IMHO. Personally I like peppermint tea, homegrown if I can.
    I do like tea. I used to be a sweet tea drinker, and trying to convert to just tea... and peppermint may work but never seem to find one with enough flavor it in I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    Maybe you could find a better version but here are the ingredients for Knorr beef bouillon, which is the brand I see in the store most often:

Ingredients

Salt, monosodium glutamate, hydrolyzed soy/corn/wheat gluten protein, hydrogenated cottonseed oil, beef fat, dehydrated vegetables (onions, carrots, parsley), beef extract, water, guar gum, colour, autolyzed yeast extract, disodium guanylate, disodium inosinate, spices, tartaric acid, citric acid, hydrogenated soybean oil and sulphites. May contain traces of milk ingredients.

Holy moly.
    You are correct, unless I make some on my own, which I barely have time to cook these days it does have a lot of junk in it. Oh well, I tried. I do drink water but was looking for something with a little flavor.

ErikI is offline Junior Member
    Getting some good loose leaf tea, especially one like Jasmine or other additional flavorings, can add a lot of flavor with no sweetener. (Not to mention a bunch of health benefits!) It may take some getting used to, but after your taste buds adjust you could find yourself hooked. Adagio Teas, which ships online for a reasonable price, has a pretty good selection.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikI View Post
    Getting some good loose leaf tea, especially one like Jasmine or other additional flavorings, can add a lot of flavor with no sweetener. (Not to mention a bunch of health benefits!) It may take some getting used to, but after your taste buds adjust you could find yourself hooked. Adagio Teas, which ships online for a reasonable price, has a pretty good selection.
    So instead of tea bags, you just put the whole leaves in the water?
    Last edited by croí; 08-01-2011 at 09:31 AM.

marqueemoon is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well by definition if you're taking in calories you aren't really fasting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast