Thread: Semi-Primal to Vegetarian to Vegan to Primal page

ErikI is offline Junior Member

Semi-Primal to Vegetarian to Vegan to Primal

Primal Fuel
    Hello guys and girls!

Today marks my 12th day of going Primal! I feel fantastic, and I have been fortunate enough to see fat melting off already. This is probably helped by my regimen of CrossFit. Primal eating has also given me new levels of energy in my CrossFit workouts that I didn't know were possible. It is amazing how much better I feel in only 12 days. If Mark should happen to stumble upon this post, I wish to thank you greatly for everything! (You'll be seeing a comprehensive success story in your inbox in the future to come. I am sure of it.)

This year was the beginning of a commitment to being healthier. A greater commitment than I had never known before. At the beginning of the year I weighed 280. (The previous year I had gotten up to 290, almost 300.) This really didn't look all that bad to me. I am 6' 7", so the fat was well distributed about the body. Though, I have always had some body image issues. I have NEVER been lean as for back as I can remember, and I am definitely at the leanest build I have ever been with. And I still have a ways to go. But I digress.

(If you care for more stats, I am 20 years old, and my weight now hangs at 240. Waist size has decreased from 40/42 to 36/38. Just noticed today that some of my 38s are starting to fall off as well!)

When I reflect over how I began this year, in the first month or so, 10 pounds dropped off with ease. The funny thing is, when I try to remember what I was eating, it was actually rather Primal food. Normally I grilled/sauteed some veggies and a piece of meat for each meal. I still consumed grains of course, and I doubt my carb consumption was completely reasonable. (And fats, bah, they were evil at that time.)

Sometime in February, after talking to one of my vegetarian friends who lost 50 pounds when he made the switch, I did as well. What started as health reasons, turned into a vehement opposition to the practice of eating meat for what I thought were ethically and logically sound arguments. I lost another 20 pounds as a vegetarian from February to June. I made the switch carefully, to make sure I was still getting the requisite protein and vitamin nutrition. Then at the end of June, after talking with a new vegan friend, I was convinced to make the switch to veganism. (Actually, my weight went back up by about 5 pounds during this period, which admittedly lasted only 3 weeks.)

Then through CrossFit I heard about the Paleo diet. I started perusing vegetarian Paleo diets, and slowly my vegan arguments were weakened. The first thing to go was my health justification. The amount of nutrition information that I was now facing, the health arguments were all quite fallacious. Then in my research, I saw my ethical and moral arguments also had many holes and those two had to be re-evaluated. (I based my beliefs mainly on the reason of Humanism, feeding more people.) Then I found out about "The Vegetarian Myth" and that was the final crumbling point. I reviewed the points in the book and I saw that even my vegetarian stance was flawed.

So now what?

I had stumbled upon Mark while looking up protein sources actually. (His top 10 post on protein I believe.) Slowly, I began to peruse his website, and then I devoured it. I spent upwards of 40 hours in the course of maybe just 3 days, reading everything like it was the most delicious meal I had ever savored. It all made perfect sense, and Mark's strong stance against dogma was respectable. That was it. I was waiting until the following week to drop grains, but that Wednesday I woke up and just said screw it. Grains were gone. (At this point I had already cut out gluten varieties, during veganism.)

Perhaps my good will be viewed prematurely. I mean it has only been 12 days. But I now know more about nutrition than I have ever thought I would know. I am actually considering a degree in dietetics after I finish my current one, because I have never quite felt an intellectual rush as strong as the one I get when reading about insulin surges.

This just feels right. My very soul and being seems to know it. And its great!

Thanks Mark, and hello everyone!

EDIT: Oh and if anyone is themselves vegetarian/vegan or has a vegetarian/vegan friend and are curious to know what my arguments were for that and what my arguments now are for being Primal, feel free to contact me. I would be glad to talk to you/your friends.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I wish you could convince my sister! She's been vegan for a few years now and it's very worrisome. Right now, I'm just trying to get her to stop commenting about how she thinks meat smells bad.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Haha, well if she is at all interested in reading, I am planning on typing up my reasons for being vegetarian/vegan, and the subsequent arguments for why those are invalid in to a neat and tidy package. For my own use/memory really, and to share with others. (I live on a very pro vegan campus. I will try not to rattle too many feathers, but I will also not take anything sitting down.) If she needs vegan sources of multi-vitamins, Deva Nutrition is very very good and cheap. I remind my own best-friend on occasion, who is vegetarian, to take a multi-vitamin. I would hate him to fall prey to iron deficiency or a lack of vitamin b-12.

One thing that I find interesting about being vegetarian, and now primal is that I have this proclivity to immediately find the foods that are "bad", repulsive. I am even starting to look at grains in the same way. I have also observed this seems to be the case with my vegetarian friends, this overly zealous repulsion of meat. (Which as for as CAFO meat goes, I completely understand its "gross-ness", but for them it extends to all meat.) I wonder if it is some sort of subconscious defense mechanism. I too, in the height of my vegetarianism found the very thought and smell of meat repulsive. It is amazing what our minds can do!

Another interesting aside: when I first switched to being primal, I got out chicken to cook or other such meat on multiple occasions and simply could not. Even though I had set my mind to something new, it was still hard for me to break the habit and consider even eating meat. I can't imagine what its like for people who have been vegan for years, indoctrinated into the mindset beyond comprehension.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Erik. I hope primal goes really well for you.

There are at least two ways of dealing with temptation: 1)brainwash yourself into thinking that what tempts you is repulsive, 2)just let go of it. I have never used the first method. Way back when I was vegetarian, I worked at a food co-op that did, reluctantly, sell meat. Sometimes I worked the meat counter, cheerfully selling people dead animals. Now, more than a year after going primal, when my non-primal housemate makes toast, it smells fantastic to me. I'm sure it would taste fantastic too. More
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I do like your second method much more! For some reason, that has never really struck me before. (I practice detachment in an emotional context, letting an emotion flow through me, experiencing it fully, and moving on.) Perhaps I can do the same with food. Enjoy the smell, imagine myself eating it, and then move on beyond it. I will have to experiment.

Thank you for the thought Hedonist! (Interesting name, by the way, for talking about temptation.)