Thread: How much muscle can you gain at one time? page

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member

How much muscle can you gain at one time?

Primal Fuel
    I've seen people talk about losing tons of fat at one time and weight but not how much muscle gain. I'm guessing because its harder to tell if you've gained muscle. I wish I could have an in house bodpod so I could get an accurate number all the time :P.

I just went up in weight..after going steadily down. I always weigh myself in the morning after going to the bathroom before showers or eating. I was down .4-1lb for days in a row but than today I'm up a 2 pounds. Was 260 to 259 to 257.8 to 257.4 to 259 again. I ate a big steak yesterday and probably got more protein than I have been. If my body has been wanting to put on muscle but I didn't have enough protein to do what it wanted could it have decided to add a good amount at one time. I know two pounds isn't that much and I'm not that worried about it but my weight was being so consistent.

I also ate one banana at the end of breakfast...but along with breakfast I wouldn't think it would have caused me to move everything into fat. I know its high gi but I ate it with breakfast....and that was th start of the day. I wouldn't think it would keep me from burning fat for the whole day. I still should have went down in weight not up unless I gained muscle because of the extra protein.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    ive gained 1/2 in my bicep in 3 weeks. not sure if thats what you mean or not

i have a scale that reads body fat % but its whack. id guess the best way to tell if you are losing fat and gaining muscle is by going by your measurements along with your scale weight. if the scale isnt moving but you are losing inches id say thats a good sign you are losing only fat
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Those tiny fluctuations in an insanely short time frame are unlikely to be indicative of fat loss or muscle gain, but are most likely water fluctuations. You can't determine fat loss or muscles gain solely from a scale.

You really shouldn't weigh yourself more than every two weeks, better yet every month, or best of all, never.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Those tiny fluctuations in an insanely short time frame are unlikely to be indicative of fat loss or muscle gain, but are most likely water fluctuations. You can't determine fat loss or muscles gain solely from a scale.

You really shouldn't weigh yourself more than every two weeks, better yet every month, or best of all, never.
    +1000

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    i respectively disagree. i think the scale can be a valuable tool for weight loss. while i do agree its easy to get scale crazy, scales can help you get direct feedback on whether something needs to be changed in your diet. for instance if you arent seeing any change in the scale over a course of a few days i think that is a good sign that maybe you need to reevaluate what you are eating, what may have casued the stall and what you can do to get through it. i use it exactly this way. i know that if i dont lose weight for more then 2 days then if i skip breakfast the 3rd day i will lose weight the 4th day. ive done this several times and its always worked. these numbers plus measurements tells me exactly what is happening

measurements alone dont tell the whole story. for instance, what if you arent losing any inches? 1. you are either not losing any fat or muscle or 2. you are losing muscle. without getting on a scale you would never know which it was
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Measurements are much, much more useful than scales. However, they, even along with a scale, are less useful over short periods. Just too many other factors.

acliusoo is offline Junior Member
    Everyone seems concerned about weight loss

FredFornicola is offline Junior Member
    When I work with clients, I have them focus on body composition, not body weight. You can weigh the same after a month of training and eating right and feel like you've made no progress, but in eality, you could have lost 2 pounds of fat and gained 2 pounds of muscle. I had a girl lose 9 pounds of fat and gain 6 pounds of muscle in 8 training sessions (1 month). The scale only showed a 3 pound difference but her comp change was dramatic.

Just something to consider.
    www.PremierePersonalFitness.com

"TRAIN WITH A PURPOSE"

ChicagoPaleo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FredFornicola View Post
    When I work with clients, I have them focus on body composition, not body weight. You can weigh the same after a month of training and eating right and feel like you've made no progress, but in eality, you could have lost 2 pounds of fat and gained 2 pounds of muscle. I had a girl lose 9 pounds of fat and gain 6 pounds of muscle in 8 training sessions (1 month). The scale only showed a 3 pound difference but her comp change was dramatic.

Just something to consider.
    As a wrestler in High School, I know a lot about how much someone's weight can vary over the course of 1 or 2 days. I tend to use your philosophy. I track my weight, and regularly track my body fat %, but it's more to understand the trend than to worry about any particular day's measurement. Usually the lowest weight I see is just a factor of being dehydrated, but when I start hitting that weight on normal days before and after dinners,j ,then I know I'm losing.

Bottom line is how you feel and what your body looks like -- not only does the machine tell me I lost 8 pts of body fat percentage, it's obvious to see as well.