Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me make this Migas recipe Primal (if possible) page

NicoleP is offline Senior Member

Please help me make this Migas recipe Primal (if possible)

Migas in the morning | Homesick Texan

Migas
    Ingredients:
    8 eggs
    1/4 cup of milk or half-and-half (maybe heavy cream?)
    1/3 cup of peanut oil (will not need this)
    4 corn tortillas cut into strips (perhaps pork skins?)
    1/2 an onion diced
    4 jalapeno peppers diced
    1 cup of shredded cheese such as Longhorn cheddar or Monterrey Jack (would be using aged cheddar)
    1 to 2 cups of salsa (not the store crap)
    1 cup of cilantro
    Salt and pepper to taste

Method:
    1. In a bowl, whisk eggs together with milk. Add a dash of salt and pepper.
    2. In a large iron skillet, heat up peanut oil on medium-high, and place tortilla strips into skillet, cooking for about three minutes, turning once. Remove the tortilla strips with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel-lined plate. Drain the oil from the skillet leaving 2 tablespoons in the skillet.
    3. Add onions and jalapenos to the pan, and cook for a couple of minutes
    4. Add egg mixture and tortilla strips to the skillet and let eggs sit for about one minute or until set on the bottom and then gently stir.
    5. Sprinkle cheese on top of eggs and continue to cook until melted.
    6. Add salt and pepper to taste and top eggs with salsa and cilantro.

Do my suggestions seem primal enough? Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Here is a recipe for a low carb wrap that you can probably substitute for the tortilla Healthy Indulgences: Homemade Low Carb Gluten-free Wraps: You can do it too!
    I have not tried them yet but all of Lauren's recipes are excellent. Substitute bacon fat or palm oil for the peanut oil. Yum.

AliceH is offline Member
    Maybe coconut milk for the milk? I personally don't think the flavor's that strong.

If you like onions, you could try this as a substitution for the tortilla strips, but with a PB-friendly oil: Crispy Onions . It might be a little overwhelming with the onions already in the dish, though. It looks like the purpose of the tortilla strips is to add crisp, so yeah, pork rinds would probably work, or crisp-fried bacon.

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleP View Post
    Migas in the morning | Homesick Texan

Migas
    Ingredients:
    8 eggs
    1/4 cup of milk or half-and-half (maybe heavy cream?)
    1/3 cup of peanut oil (will not need this)
    4 corn tortillas cut into strips (perhaps pork skins?)
    1/2 an onion diced
    4 jalapeno peppers diced
    1 cup of shredded cheese such as Longhorn cheddar or Monterrey Jack (would be using aged cheddar)
    1 to 2 cups of salsa (not the store crap)
    1 cup of cilantro
    Salt and pepper to taste

Method:
    1. In a bowl, whisk eggs together with milk. Add a dash of salt and pepper.
    2. In a large iron skillet, heat up peanut oil on medium-high, and place tortilla strips into skillet, cooking for about three minutes, turning once. Remove the tortilla strips with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel-lined plate. Drain the oil from the skillet leaving 2 tablespoons in the skillet.
    3. Add onions and jalapenos to the pan, and cook for a couple of minutes
    4. Add egg mixture and tortilla strips to the skillet and let eggs sit for about one minute or until set on the bottom and then gently stir.
    5. Sprinkle cheese on top of eggs and continue to cook until melted.
    6. Add salt and pepper to taste and top eggs with salsa and cilantro.

Do my suggestions seem primal enough? Thanks for any help or suggestions!
    I love love love migas and I am interested to see what you end up using. Personally, I'd swap the milk for grass-fed heavy cream (but then, I do eat a little dairy). Check out this recipe from MDA for a primal tortilla. I haven't tried it yet but it might be worth it. If you find you need the oil, I think lard or ghee would better from heating up the tortillas.
    And instead of aged cheddar, one option would be an aged monterey jack - it's really good.
    Anyway, can't wait to hear how it turns out. Post photos.
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

I could have sworn that I replied to this post yesterday and my post is not here. Anyway, than you for all the suggestions I think I will try the primal tortilla first because I have all the ingredients on hand. When I do get around with this attempt with migas I will post pics. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    I personally would just skip the tortillas, since they are usually stirred in and cooked till soft; add more onions, chopped peppers, and salsa to the eggs, as well as some chorizo.

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    If it was me I would also leave out the tortillas all together, I'd also add a large helping of guacamole to the top of the migas.

I don't know how this would work out but I have pretty much substituted almond milk for regular milk and cream in most instances... I'm not sure how that would fare with mexican style dishes though.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I did a side by side comparison of the gluten free wraps and the primal tortilla and the wraps won hands own. They had texture and elasticity.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    I did a side by side comparison of the gluten free wraps and the primal tortilla and the wraps won hands own. They had texture and elasticity.
    The wraps look very good. Since you have made them and I haven't do you think there is a way to crisp them up at all? I want to make them, but they have several ingredients that I would have to go searching for. They also seem like they would take a long time to make and I feel like I live in the kitchen already plus its just too damn hot outside so I have no energy (my husband eats WAY too much as well). It would be worth the time if they could be frozen though.

I did make the primal tortillas and liked them pretty well. They don't hold together well though (as expected). I tripled the chili powder and used both ancho and chipolte. Did not notice egg flavor at all over the lime and chili so thats a plus.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Personally, I would just cut back to maybe one corn tortilla and otherwise do what you have done, e.g. heavy cream. But that's just me. I don't label myself primal, paleo, phd, archevore or anything else.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast