Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Cook and Then I Chill -- Ellie's Journal page 3

Ellie G is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Did you ever watch Blackadder? The phrase "I have a cunning plan" always reminds me of Baldrick. Then again, if you've never seen it, that just made no sense at all!
    I am a big fan of Blackadder! Actually, that was one of the nice parts of being in the ER -- I had a British doctor and at one point she popped in to the room and said, "I have a cunning plan!" and it cheered me immensely.

However, you could also look on it as an opportunity. I know, for example, that being diagnosed with gluten intolerance has made it a hell of a lot easier to stay away from grains. Would I have been so virtuous if I didn't suffer horrendous consequences? I doubt it.
    Yes, that is definitely the silver lining in this. Getting healthy feels important in a way it didn't before.

---

Actuals for Thursday:
    - 7 slices ham, 2 oz. cheddar, 8 oz. napa cabbage
    - 2 cups cottage cheese, 2 3/4 c. half and half with cinnamon
    - 1/2 jar peanut butter, 4 squares dark chocolate, a few raw almonds
    - Diet Sunkist, diet root beer
    - 3 cups black tea
    - about half my supplements
    - 40 minutes walking

... sigh.

Had a really good talk with my new sponsor this morning, about how often I binge because I'm scared of how I'll feel when I stop and the food goes away and I don't have that anxiety reliever anymore. She suggested eating every 3 hours so that when I start getting nervous, I can just take it a few hours at a time and know I will never have to wait very long for food. I'm going to give it a shot.

Plan for Friday, August 12
    - 3 oz. cheese
    - 1 oz. almonds
    - 1 c. cottage cheese, 1 scoop whey protein, 8 oz. napa cabbage
    - 2 oz. cheese
    - 8 oz. panfish with 1/2 T butter
    - whatever's left of the egg whites with butter
    - 3 cups black tea
    - fish oil, calcium, magnesium
    - 60 minutes walking (if it's not too chilly out this evening -- it was kind of cold this morning!)

Actuals for Friday
    - 3 oz. cheese
    - 1 oz. almonds
    - 1 c. cottage cheese, 1 scoop whey protein, 8 oz. napa cabbage
    - 2 oz. cheese
    - 2 Luna bars
    - 2 cups black tea
    - fish oil, calcium, magnesium
    - 40 minutes walking

I am still learning how to bolus correctly. I thought I'd taken enough insulin before eating, but those 2 Luna bars put my blood sugar over 300. Crap. It is hard not to feel like a failure when this happens.

I am having some issues with my good friend (the one with the terrible nutritionist who told her vegetables would make her gain weight). I think I'm her only friend outside her family, who pretty much treat her like shit. So I don't blame her for being a little ... needy. But she wants me to hang out with her a LOT. And being around her so much means she's really getting on my nerves. (In particular, she is of the "complain a lot, say 'I know what I need to do,' never do anything, repeat" school of dealing with her problems.) Then I feel like a terrible friend for being so annoyed with her! But it's really frustrating to hear her constantly complaining and nothing ever changing.

I am so grouchy tonight. Well, I got some writing done. That was nice.

EDIT: Well, that was exciting! My first hypo! Took some glucose tabs and it came back up. I also had an asston of food because I was starving -- 10 oz. cheese and 1 1/2 oz. almonds. I'm sure my sugar is going to be super high in the morning. ARGH.
    Last edited by Ellie G; 08-12-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    ... insulin?! Whoa. I completely missed that, I was distracted by the food pics. I just reread your starter post here and was dismayed. So no news on an official diagnosis yet, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie G View Post
    the "complain a lot, say 'I know what I need to do,' never do anything, repeat" school
    Oh, yeah, that's always cringeworthy. I suppose it's too much to hope that the more she hangs out with you, the more likely she is to share your good primal food?

And WTF, what nutritionist would tell anyone _vegetables_ would make them gain weight?!
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    ... insulin?! Whoa. I completely missed that, I was distracted by the food pics. I just reread your starter post here and was dismayed. So no news on an official diagnosis yet, huh?
    Nothing yet -- it's almost certainly some kind of diabetes, and they should know what kind by the end of the week. I am not good at being patient!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    WTF, what nutritionist would tell anyone _vegetables_ would make them gain weight?!
    I KNOW RIGHT? I almost burst a blood vessel when she told me her nutritionist said, "You're eating too many raw vegetables. The calories from those really add up! Also, your problem is that you don't like baked goods. You should be eating way more grains." The really frustrating part is that she HAS lost weight (she's a very large person who eats out all the time, so just about any movement away from her bad habits, even to CW foods, was going to help) so there's nothing to overtly prove the nutritionist wrong.

--

Sunday was another relapse day. I'm over it. I mean it. I'm ready to get better.

Today I saw the endocrinologist, who didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know, but he drew some blood for further tests. He gave me a very ballpark-y scale for my insulin dosing, and I am supposed to record all my meals and doses and blood sugar readings, and give them to him in a week, I guess so he can tweak things as needed. Also I am meeting with a diabetes educator in a couple weeks. I'm not gonna lie to you guys: I am really nervous that they are going to push a lot of super-CW low-fat whole-grains crap on me. But I will cross that bridge when I come to it. For now, the plan is 3 meals a day, roughly similar macros at each, record faithfully, turn it in, see what happens.

I asked the endo what my short-term goal should be, and he said I should focus on learning the behaviors I'll need to manage this disease. So that's what I'm going to do. The numbers will fall into place eventually.

--

Plan for Tuesday, August 16
    - 2 scoops protein powder, Fiber One bar, banana, 2 T coconut oil
    - rest of the panfish, donut
    - spicy curry: 8 oz. ground turkey, 1 c. peas, 2 T coconut oil, onions & spices, 1 c. yogurt
    - 3 cups black tea
    - fish oil, multi, calcium

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Hey, Just checking in with you. Wow sudden onset diabetes. Scary. Saving my life is what keeps me Primal too. So even though I am having a bad binge period right now, I know that I will get back on the wagon every day and do the best I can.

Congratulations on your wedding. I'm glad you are back with us.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Also I am meeting with a diabetes educator in a couple weeks. I'm not gonna lie to you guys: I am really nervous that they are going to push a lot of super-CW low-fat whole-grains crap on me. But I will cross that bridge when I come to it. For now, the plan is 3 meals a day, roughly similar macros at each, record faithfully, turn it in, see what happens.
    They will. You have two choices. 1) Argue it out with them, go armed with studies showing better blood sugar control with a low-carb diet and tell them that this is what you're doing or 2) "Smile and wave boys, smile and wave" (sorry I watch way too much Penguins of Madagascar with my kids ). In other words, nod politely and then do what you were going to do anyway.
    You cannot expect to get any decent advice about how to manage this successfully from a dietician, because they are not taught about management, they are taught about the lipid hypothesis and how to manage diebetes with insulin.
    Seriously, their focus is preventing the heart disease that is a long-term side-effect of high blood sugar. Unfortunately, they believe that fat intake is what causes the heart disease, so they tell you to cut fat and increase your healthy whole-grains to protect against the heart disease.
    Problem with that of course is that this diet causes high blood sugar, which is what actually causes the heart disease, so they don't help anybody. That's why diebetes and heart disease rates keep climbing.

Personally, I think you need to focus on whole foods, meat, fat and vegetables. For now, at least, while you're trying to figure out your blood sugar issues and insulin dosing. I would cut out any frankenfoods, such as protein powder (whey is very insulinogenic), donuts (obviously) and fiber one bars (whatever they are?) and focus on eating meat and vegetables.
    I have a friend with T2 diebetes who recently went Paleo and he has managed to get his 1 hour post-prandial BGL to under 100 with no insulin. But he eats only meat, fish, fat, cream and vegetables.

At work I see lots of people suffering from the ravages of poorly controlled blood sugar issues. Diabetic retinopathy (blindness), neuropathy (having limbs removed because they stubbed their toe) and nephropathy (kidney disease and dialysis). Because you know about primal/paleo, you are ahead of the game. You just need to apply what you know to your lifestyle.

I'll be very interested to hear what your diabetes educator has to say, I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I will be

Edit: You might wanna check out this guy. He is the low-carb champion of diabetes treatment.
    Last edited by NourishedEm; 08-16-2011 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Adding link

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Congratulations on your wedding. I'm glad you are back with us.
    Thanks, Paula! I am glad to be back.

Personally, I think you need to focus on whole foods, meat, fat and vegetables. For now, at least, while you're trying to figure out your blood sugar issues and insulin dosing. I would cut out any frankenfoods, such as protein powder (whey is very insulinogenic), donuts (obviously) and fiber one bars (whatever they are?) and focus on eating meat and vegetables.
    I have a friend with T2 diebetes who recently went Paleo and he has managed to get his 1 hour post-prandial BGL to under 100 with no insulin. But he eats only meat, fish, fat, cream and vegetables.

Edit: You might wanna check out this guy. He is the low-carb champion of diabetes treatment.
    Thanks for the thoughts and advice, Em. Cutting out the crap is definitely my goal. But for this first week I am going to focus on eating 3 meals, pre-measured portions, no grazing, no bingeing (and definitely no purging) -- and if I have to bribe myself with some not-so-Primal foods in exchange for establishing an eating routine, I am okay with that. Next week I'll dive back into full-on Primal whole-foods eating. If I don't take it one step at a time, I know I'm going to be completely overwhelmed.

I'll check that guy out!

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    nutritionist said, "You're eating too many raw vegetables. The calories from those really add up! Also, your problem is that you don't like baked goods. You should be eating way more grains."
    Wow, a nutritionist can say basically anything these days. It's like Mad Libs. Insert your own words here:
    "You're eating too many ______. The calories from those really add up! Also, your problem is that you don't like ______. You should be eating way more _____."

Now that we've heard the anti-veggie variation, I would bet we could find some so-called nutritionist willing to fill in those blanks with basically anything... chewing gum... rice cakes... water pills... tapeworms...

They will. You have two choices. 1) Argue it out with them, go armed with studies showing better blood sugar control with a low-carb diet and tell them that this is what you're doing or 2) "Smile and wave boys, smile and wave"
    What she says!

For the purposes of discussion, let's assume the worst, that your doc is an American Diabetes Association hardliner.

The ADA doesn't recommend for or against low-carb -- they admit it works for some people trying to lose weight. Seems like they're concerned that people can't stick with low-carb; they consider it too restrictive. But you're willing to actually do it.

Here's the actual quote from the ADA... might be handy when talking to your doc. "it's important for patients to choose a plan that works for them, and that the health care team support their patients' weight loss efforts and provide appropriate monitoring of patients' health."

The ADA still fears that a higher-fat diet will put you at cardiovascular risk, but there are studies countering that. Start here: Nutrition & Metabolism | Full text | Low-carbohydrate diet in type 2 diabetes: stable improvement of bodyweight and glycemic control during 44 months follow-up -- the discussion section of this article is great, and there's a nice clickable list of studies in the bibliography.

How low carb are you usually, really? The bottom of their suggested range is 130 grams a day, which does fall within the primal maintenance zone. So it may not be such a big deal.

I find that when I say "low carb" outsiders immediately assume I mean near-zero carb, that I'm not eating veggies and fruit at all, etc.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Thought more about Em's advice and gave all my leftover Fiber One bars away to my co-workers. Today has been all eggs, cheese, meat, nuts, and coconut oil.

Tomorrow I should find out if it's Type 1 or Type 2. It's weird -- it's bad news either way, and yet, I'm so nervous and impatient to know!

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Thought more about Em's advice and gave all my leftover Fiber One bars away to my co-workers. Today has been all eggs, cheese, meat, nuts, and coconut oil.

Tomorrow I should find out if it's Type 1 or Type 2. It's weird -- it's bad news either way, and yet, I'm so nervous and impatient to know!
    Ellie, you're awesome!

I look forward to seeing exactly what it is you're dealing with.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast