Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adrenals, thyroid etc page

Bushrat is offline Senior Member

Adrenals, thyroid etc

I am interesting in learning about the adrenals and the thyroid, including hyper and hypo thyroidism and adrenal fatigue. I know there is a lot of info to be had on the web, but 99% of it seems to be laden with CW BS. Can someone give me a quick a dirty explanation of how both the adrenals and thyroid work and what sort of problems might develop with each and how you would diagnose and treat such problems?

Also, a quick observation/question for those more knowledgeable: Hypothyroidism is characterised by sudden weight gain. Is this really caused by hypothyroidism per se or is due to the fact that the person is eating a shitty CW diet that makes them fat? Thus, if someone were eating paleo, would weight gain come about with hypothyroidism?
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Kristy2078 Guest
    Not every person who is hypothyroid is fat or gained weight quickly. The opposite is true for hyperthyroid people--not all of them are skinny. Most of hypo people are hypo because of an autoimmune disorder--Hashimito's. Weight gain, if applicable, is not the only symptom. Other symptoms can include: edema, fatigue, anemia, body aches and pains, depression, etc. In order to be diagnosed, the doctor has to take a history of the patient's symptoms and order a thyroid panel for blood work.

Since hypothyroidism is most often autoimmune, hypos often have other AI conditions (i.e. celiac intolerance, allergies). Not all, but some do. For some, they also have other disorders like diabetes, PCOS, Insulin Resistance, etc. For them, cutting out processed carbs might work and improve their conditions. What works for one person is not a cure-all for all other hypos.

Additionally, weight gain is caused primarily because a hypo's metabolism has decreased. The thryoid is responsible for a lot of body processes, including metabolism. If your thyroid is off, your metabolism is gonna be off, too.

I don't know what sites you found but the sites I have seen pretty much advocated cutting out processed carbs. Maybe you should look up Mary Shomon.

I know a lot more about the thyroid than about the adrenals (just mostly that they deal with stress).

EDIT: I forgot to mention a few things:

1. treatment--for most hypos, they need medication (i.e. levothyroxine, cytomel, synthroid). A few hypos are able to forgo medication and change something about their lifestyle that does help them. A lot of hypos also can be prescribed Armour (naturally made from pig or cow thyroid while the others that I mentioned are synthetic).

2. Some women do become hypo after a pregnancy, and most of the time, it is temporary. For those that don't improve at some point will have to continue with treatment.
    Last edited by Kristy2078; 07-31-2011 at 08:39 PM.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    There are several of us on here that have had both thyroid and adrenal problems and take meds for it.

The answer you seek depends on what exactly went wrong.

Most thyroid problems are not going to go away if you do a good job with Primal, but Primal is for sure the best WOE for it.

Adrenals can be a lot of things, but if you do things right, they are a bit more "fixable" with diet and lifestyle improvements than thyroid. Eat Primal, learn to relax, get good sleep, do your homework, and you can make a difference.

I had a dr find that I was hypothyroid, had adrenal fatigue, and was insulin resistant in 2007, and I was over 300#. I lost 1/3 of my body weight in a year and turned things around. Diet was just as important as the meds.

Animord is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    Also, a quick observation/question for those more knowledgeable: Hypothyroidism is characterised by sudden weight gain. Is this really caused by hypothyroidism per se or is due to the fact that the person is eating a shitty CW diet that makes them fat? Thus, if someone were eating paleo, would weight gain come about with hypothyroidism?
    Both my aunt and my father were hypo. Neither of them ever gained weight, having said that although both of them eat/ate a conventional diet with grains etc, it was a pretty good one - all meat and vegetables were local. We grew pretty much everything and so there was no processed food at all. Both of them ate a lot of bread - it was a staple, however again, it was always home made every day - so no additives etc. My father's diet was high in meat and saturated fat, just because that is what he liked.

I had a thyroid function test last year and was told that it was low and I should keep an eye on it. I am overweight. I was semi-primal for about two months (if there is such a thing! Better eating I suppose really) and I was retested - my function is now normal although I do have the antibodies which suggests that I will become hypo, but at present everything is normal.

I am pretty surprised about this because I have suffered from a lot of the classic symptoms - cold/heat sensitive, weight gain, depression. I was convinced that I was going to be told to go on Thyroxine. I have always been overweight - I would love to blame it on an underfunctioning thyroid as I have no idea how long it wasn't working properly.

I think that my weight gain has been more from just eating too much but I suspect that it is probably a combination of factors. I have never had much processed food in the form of ready made meals and stuff like that - I cook from scratch, but I loved cake (I had a cake making business for a while) and chocolate and alcohol and pastries and stuff like that.

I had my blood tests done a month ago and have since been completely grain and sugar free, I certainly feel much better for it and have lost 17lbs although this has stalled in the last two weeks. (I have increased my excercise so I am hoping that this is increased muscle - I am comfortably down a jeans size). I will have another blood test in about eight weeks to see what is going on now, since primal, and then I have been told by the doctor to get myself tested every six months.

I guess I just have to wait and see.

I'm convinced now I have adrenal fatigue. Time to combat it. My current plan in no particular order:
    1. Quit coffee.
    2. Quit tea. Have been drinking too much since I quit coffee two days ago.
    3. Cut out any sugars.
    4. Get decent celtic sea salt on my food.
    5. Supplement with Mg.
    6. Pop some vit D and C.
    7. Eat more fat.
    8. Clean the rest of my diet up.
    9. And most importantly cut back on stress. Relax, etc.

Anything else I could do?

Also, how long does it take to get back to being awesome and bursting with energy?

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I'm convinced now I have adrenal fatigue. Time to combat it. My current plan in no particular order:
    1. Quit coffee.
    3. Cut out any sugars.
    5. Supplement with Mg.
    6. Pop some vit D and C.
    7. Eat more fat.

Also, how long does it take to get back to being awesome and bursting with energy?
    Not bad.

10. Use melatonin before bed. Focus on good sleep, and don't give up until you do get good sleep.
    11. Also use a strong B-complex.
    12. Don't snack.

Mine started improving pretty quick and was good in about 6 months.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    /subscribe
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

marthat is offline Senior Member
    I was recommended to put my son (diagnosed with adrenal fatigue) on a potent multi-mineral supplement, and we saw improvement in his mood and energy within a few days. We use Organika Colloidal trace minerals, a liquid supplement in juice. He's 18, developmentally challenged and very negative and anxious, sometimes angry. Hard to say what's adolescence, what's the disability and what is just his underlying personality.

Thanks all. Some more questions:

How much melatonin before bed? And how long before bed? Also, on the label it claims that if you have melatonin in the morning you will have more energy. Any truth to this?

Given that my diet is red meat heavy, is a b-vitamin complex still a good idea?

Does adrenal fatigue occur suddenly or can it build up over time? Also, could you have had it for years without noticing then have a sudden crash if you increase your activities and have a sudden burn out?

What have you all found the best way to meditate, relax, calm your mind etc?

katemary is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    1. Quit coffee.
    3. Cut out any sugars.
    5. Supplement with Mg.
    6. Pop some vit D and C.
    7. Eat more fat.

I am interested in this but missed the skip from thyroid to adrenal fatigue. Bushrat - what makes you think you have adrenal fatigue? What signs and symptoms?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast