Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CW gone mad...again page

drbrik is offline Member

CW gone mad...again

Shop Now
    Saw this in our local newspaper this morning.

Obesity campaigns 'waste of cash'

The CW answer - more lap band surgery, of course.

I have got so many patients who had had lap band surgery before they saw me and they were still obese.

When will CW learn?

Kristy2078 Guest
    When will people learn surgery is not the answer?

davem is offline Senior Member
    meh.

Marketing campaigns with minimal budgets won't do anything for obesity. Frankly, nothing is going to change until someone WANTS to change. Simple as that.

Sadly, government programs and the like for obesity "awareness" should be defunded. No chance a few mil from the .gov will be able to stand against the billions spent by snack food companies and their cohort.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    meh.

Marketing campaigns with minimal budgets won't do anything for obesity. Frankly, nothing is going to change until someone WANTS to change. Simple as that.

Sadly, government programs and the like for obesity "awareness" should be defunded. No chance a few mil from the .gov will be able to stand against the billions spent by snack food companies and their cohort.
    +1. And with the USDA setting the guidelines, we won't be seeing good dietary advice anyway. The best thing the US government could do for us is get out of the diet biz and the farm subsidy biz. And I'm saying this as a progressive.

I would start a farm if they got the eff out of the farm subsidy biz.

The USDA has a hard enough time tracking down e. coli outbreaks from bad processors, let alone having the time to figure out what is really good for someone.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    A co-worker had lap band surgery about 4 months ago and it looks like her weight loss has stopped. Every morning she comes in with a sausage egg and cheese sandwich. Since she's part-time, I have no idea what else she eats because she only works till noon, but I've seen her grazing at the goodies that are occasionally brought in. No changing from her former eating habits seems to be her downfall.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    meh.

Is that so? The years I spent following bad advice and Dr's orders, I didn't want to change? I wasn't making an effort? I will not type what I'd like to say to you just now.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Yes, because I wrote that specifically for you, someone from JP whom I've never met before. Please, prove all of my statements about Bostonians.

If you talk to a nutritionist, follow it, and it isn't working. You either look for something that works, or you don't. When someone wants to change that which is not working, they will.

Again, simple as that.

honeypig is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    A co-worker had lap band surgery about 4 months ago and it looks like her weight loss has stopped. Every morning she comes in with a sausage egg and cheese sandwich. Since she's part-time, I have no idea what else she eats because she only works till noon, but I've seen her grazing at the goodies that are occasionally brought in. No changing from her former eating habits seems to be her downfall.
    In my job as a medical transcriptionist, I do a lot of reports dealing w/lap band or gastric bypass surgeries. First there are the required "educational" visits, which pretty much seem to be just going thru the motions so the insurance company will pay for the procedure. Then there are followup reports. I have to say, doing a report on someone who has had this surgery and actually keeps the weight off for even a year is fairly unusual. Most see some loss at first but then plateau and then start to gain it back. I believe the reason is as you say--the eating habits never changed to begin with. If these folks could be happy on 1000 calories a day of SAD crap and lose weight, they would never have needed the surgery to start with. Now they have had the surgery (and depending on which one, may have a permanent digestive disorder now) and guess what? They STILL can't be happy on 1000 calories a day of SAD crap, and since that is all they are allowed, there isn't much chance of success. What a shame.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
    Then there are followup reports. I have to say, doing a report on someone who has had this surgery and actually keeps the weight off for even a year is fairly unusual.
    They now are saying that it's "typical" to keep off ONE THIRD of the weight lost for three years. The minimum amount overweight you have to be for lap band is 30 lbs. That's major surgery and thousands of dollars for TEN POUNDS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast