Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian mischief in US News report page

Hedonist is offline Senior Member

Vegetarian mischief in US News report

Primal Fuel
    For a while after the US News report labeled Atkins and Paleo the two worst diets, reader polling showed them to have the highest success rates. In fact, besides them, only Weight Watchers had a positive success rate at all. Now, Atkins and Paleo have horrible failure rates and vegetarianism and veganism have enormous success rates. Hanky panky? I think so.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    olde 4x
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Kristy2078 Guest
    I think the problem with diets like these is that a lot of people are doing them wrong. It takes so much more than just eating the right kinds of food (per a given diet) to make a person healthier. I am vegetarian, but I don't go around eating Twinkies (I think the last time I ate one was when I was 12 or so) or eating a pound of cheese a day :P There's also the problem with some people constantly switching from one diet to another; that's bound to wreak havoc on the poor body I can see part of why some people ended up with liver problems on Atkins because maybe they weren't used to eating so much meat and then BOOM they are eating two pounds of meat and eggs a day. So for some people, gradual changes would be best but some people changed habits too fast.

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    I noticed that too, Hedonist. And I do think there is something going on here other than honest polling results. My guess, without possibility of proof, is that after US News had ranked the diets, they couldn't allow themselves to be shown wrong. So they changed the results. The early results were overwhelmingly contrary to the rankings.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike in Virginia View Post
    I noticed that too, Hedonist. And I do think there is something going on here other than honest polling results. My guess, without possibility of proof, is that after US News had ranked the diets, they couldn't allow themselves to be shown wrong. So they changed the results. The early results were overwhelmingly contrary to the rankings.
    +1 Grrrrrrr
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

DubleYoo is offline Senior Member
    Nah, no shenanigans, I don't think. If it was the US News changing it, they would have changed more of the top ranking ones. The first three are polled as sucking, with very few votes. As for the vegetarian and vegan "results", well, there are a lot of people that do it on principle alone. It's a large group of people. What I imagine is that they saw the rank, and instantly voted that it "worked" for them, whether they lost weight or not, and then went directly to their competitors, and voted "no", out of principle.

It's definitely rigged guys. For several reasons.

1. Once you've voted for something, it won't let you vote no for something else. You get one vote period, I'm guessing unless you know enough about computers to get around it. The average person is only gonna get one vote from one computer. I voted once when it came out for Paleo and no matter how many times I click no for those darn vegans it won't budge.

2. Until now, the most any one ranked diet got was a few thousand votes, most of them around a few hundred. Suddenly vegetarianism has over ten thousand votes for yes and Paleo and Atkins has over twenty thousand and ten thousand votes respectively? So if it wasn't anyone's doing that means at least forty thousand people came out in droves one day to tell everyone that Paleo and Atkins suck and vegetarians rule? I don't think so. There's an agenda behind it.

3. I doubt it was the website itself. If they'd done it, wouldn't they have at least ranked the one that was number one higher? If they still wanted their own agenda to look good that's what they would have done. Plus they probably would have made it look a little more reasonable. Those are some ridiculous looking results. If anything they'll try and fix the numbers if they discover it.

My conclusion? Either 4chan for some reason thought it'd be funny to change it or somehow PETA's brains are just large enough to figure out how to do it. Both are highly unlikely, but it was definitely rigged.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonGraveWolf View Post
    Once you've voted for something, it won't let you vote no for something else.
    I just voted on 6 of them, it worked on all of them. I think it's all just veg[etari]ans. They vote up the animal-loving, rainbows-and-butterflies diets, and go right to the ones that say "eat meat, and lots of it" to vote it down.

That's interesting. Perhaps it's just my browser then. Typically sites try to get around this sort of thing by making it so you can only vote once. Either way, the results are awful skewed.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    @DemonGraveWolf Yeah, the problem in this case though is that people try so many diets, they kind of have to let you vote on as many as you tried. I think the numbers pretty much add up for the veggies scenario. I assume paleo has the most no votes because it's more popular among the veg communities than Atkins, mostly because of the rivalry, thus more likely to have people vote.

And I think the reason the opposite hasn't happened is because we Paleos just don't feel the need to defend our diets as much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast