Thread: Canning & Preserving fruit without sugar page

Betho is offline Senior Member

Canning & Preserving fruit without sugar

Primal Fuel
    I'm almost coming up to the point where I'll have enough fruit to start doing some canning and making jams. I've successfully canned fruit in the past without sugar and I actually prefer it that way, but I will also have some fruit that I'll want to make into preserves.

In case anyone else is in a similar situation, I found this page that was pretty helpful
    Food Preservation Without Sugar or Salt

Just in case anyone else was looking It's a late season here since we had a very cool and rainy spring, but my pie cherries are almost done and I'm debating what to do with them. I will freeze some fruit but I do want to can a bunch of it as well, and it's almost peach season.

If anyone else has any other resources for this type of stuff, please feel free to post it! I'm hoping to get a good dehydrator soon as well, which will really make a difference since we'll have a pretty good apple crop this year.

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the link! Lots of good info.

I just canned apricots with out sugar and they turned out really nice. I did use juice though.

Ancient Embrace: Bottled Apricots

Betho is offline Senior Member
    Oh very cool! Yeah I've done peaches and pears canned in just water. I like them because a little of the juice goes into the water and it makes for a light and refreshing drink without the extra sugar.

Now I need to put my money where mouth is... after I made that post I dropped by the fruit stand and they had cherries at $1/lb so I bought a 20lb box of them... lol. I'll be processing a lot of cherries tomorrow! I might end up just freezing them for now because I don't know what I want the end result to be.

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Happy pitting! Frozen cherries are like a little slice of heaven.