Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything to the Serotonin Diet or BS? page

Leida is offline Senior Member

Anything to the Serotonin Diet or BS?

Shop Now
    Read a Serotonin diet book, about eating carbs to prevent sugar cravings after dinner and that search for something sweet after hours... Did anyone tried a tablespoon or so of honey or sweet potato at the crucial 2 to 4 pm (I agree with the book that it's the Universal Carb Craving Time) and did it impact cravings after dinner?

Paleobirdy is offline Senior Member
    I have never tried this on purpose, but agree that for me, this is the carb-craving time. If I eat a carb after 4, it doesn't seem to negatively affect cravings for the rest of the day. Before 4 and I am in trouble.

Lukys is offline Member
    I eat a teaspoon of honey a day. Bit hard not to, being a beekeeper. I think it's fine to cheat a bit though- I hardly eat enough vegetables either.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Read a Serotonin diet book, about eating carbs to prevent sugar cravings after dinner ...
    Eating carbs to prevent one's wanting carbs sounds a bit backwards. Has it ever been known to help in properly controlled studies? My understanding is that eating some generally means you want more: hence those "bet you can't eat just one" commercials. The thing is they're true. I'd think more likely decrease the amount of carbs in the dinner, if one gets a sugar craving after eating.

I think there's some evidence that a relatively high carb diet can increase production of serotonin at least in the short term, but there are so many downsides to a high-carb diet.

Anyway, how would you make serotonin without enough tryptophan, which could be pretty short in a high-carb diet? If someone was found to be low in serotonin hadn't they best take some 5HTP?

Amazon.com: 5htp

But serotonin is only one thing someone might be low in. I wouldn't assume I was unless I had some measure that showed me I was be it only a high score on that section of the Mood Cure questionnaire:

The Mood Cure

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Sounds similar to the radiant recovery, Potatoes Not Prozac approach. You may find it interesting: http://http://www.radiantrecovery.com/

Do you have a link on the serotonin diet book you were reading? Just interested!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

emmie is offline Senior Member
    This would never work for me. I have a world-class sweet tooth, but anything sweet is a trigger for me to overeat. However, total abstinence works for me. If I don't allow myself to taste anything sweet, I have NO cravings at all.

Captain Archer is offline Senior Member
    I have found that when you add in hot spices to carbohydrates it makes you not want them as much.
    Today for breakfast I was going to have a huge carbohydrate smoothie I made using fresh fruit and vegetables. I added in some curry, cinnamon, and some hot sauce. I only finished half of the carbohydrate smoothie I was going to digest. Thank the heavens because that would have been around 200 carbohydrates which would have made me go into hibernation mode. The plus side? I can handle 100grams of carbohydrates in the morning from good sources of carbs

The idea with the Serotonin Diet is that
    -protein-rich diet does not release serotonin, while a small amount of sweet/starchy, low fat carb does (it can't be fruit, because fructose is apparently different), if eaten at the appropriate time of the day and given time to release the hormone. That, according to the authors, prevents the powerful after-dinner need for serotonine 'fix' AND the sweet/strach binges. I want to try it this week. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

Title:The serotonin power diet : use your brain's natural chemistry to cut cravings, curb emotional overeating, and lose weight
    Author:Wurtman, Judith J.
    Publisher:Rodale,Pub date:c2006.Pages:xiii, 290 p.ISBN:9781594863462

This tbsp of honey between 2 and 4 pm was working nicely for me so far. I didn't feel like binging on fruit or anything else after dinner, and did not have endless tea after dinner. A cup or two with a tiny bit of honey was just enough, and yesterday I merely dipped spoon into honey after supper, licked it, and didn't want anything any more. And I have no craving to add art sweetener to my berries or quark. And didn't want any chocolate or jam or panty goods at all. I just hope it is not a 'novelty' effect & I can reduce amount of honey 2x between 2 and 4 pm. AND I went on the deficit of sleep all week so far (just unlucky circumstances, not proud of it). And didn't want coffee this morning.

BUT! Battle Sunday is in just 2 days!

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Read a Serotonin diet book, about eating carbs to prevent sugar cravings after dinner and that search for something sweet after hours... Did anyone tried a tablespoon or so of honey or sweet potato at the crucial 2 to 4 pm (I agree with the book that it's the Universal Carb Craving Time) and did it impact cravings after dinner?
    If you are eating primal/paleo properly you shouldn't be getting sugar cravings.
    If your carb intake has increased enough to cause cravings, then I think you are not doing any kind of paleo/primal. Here this means a conflict between Serotonin and Primal/Paleo diets.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast