Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Anything to the Serotonin Diet or BS? page 9

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I looked up a huge table on the sugars break-down and it looks like dry fruit are relatively close to honey, proportionally, for glucose/fructose, if not as high. So, if honey works, I figure dry fruit might.

I am also starting to work on eliminating gum chewing in conjunction with the mid-afternoon starch/sugar boost, to see if I can break the habit (I average 7 pieces of gum a day).

I really, really, REALLY like that nuts are unappealing. I can't emphasise this enough.
    Thanks, that sounds good. I'd certainly rather eat dried fruit than purified glucose.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Alas, prunes are no go. Binges on Friday-Saturday, basically immediately after switching. Even got into stuff I did not want for AGES, peanut buter, butterscotch chips. Flashed the rest of that opened package of poor, innocent chips down the drain yesterday night.

Back to honey tomorrow, doing STOP day today, on broth.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Considering I haven't read the book and don't know much about this approach, I may have missed something that makes it either ineffective for these purposes or maybe even a big no-no, but what about something like coconut butter? I have to keep mine hidden, but if I'm gonna cave and give in to the devil, that's my go-to. I like that it's coconut, has fat and satisfies a need for both the salty and the sweet. Mixing it with honey and a nut butter sounds like absolute heaven, but I wouldn't even consider going there because I doubt I'd ever make it back!

Still hoping each of you finds your holy grail for this need.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

According to the book, it has to be pure sweet carbohidrate without fat to stimulate the release of serotonine in a small caloric quantity (~ 100 cals). According to the theory, fat and protein do not release serotonine contrary to the previous blah-blah-blah.

Alas, prunes are no go. Binges on Friday-Saturday, basically immediately after switching. Even got into stuff I did not want for AGES, peanut buter, butterscotch chips. Flashed the rest of that opened package of poor, innocent chips down the drain yesterday night.

Back to honey tomorrow, doing STOP day today, on broth.
    Sorry that didn't work out. I tried dates for one of my doses a couple of days ago. And fell off the wagon yesterday afternoon. Hmm maybe there's a connection lol
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Well, if prrof is in the honey, this weekend will definetly show it for me. I will be taking my baby to her first day in kindergarden on Friday, and then Monday is the weekend. 4 day weekend is a sure-fire trigger for the evening binges for me normally, so I will try to stick to my eating schedule and honey, and see how it goes. If it passes without a raid on the nut container, I will be completely convinced that honey is just the thing for me.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    According to the book, it has to be pure sweet carbohidrate without fat to stimulate the release of serotonine in a small caloric quantity (~ 100 cals). According to the theory, fat and protein do not release serotonine contrary to the previous blah-blah-blah.
    Gotcha. I had a feeling I was missing something big.

I feel for you gals with all of this trial and error stuff and the rollercoaster you're having to ride in order to find what works...
    Last edited by GoJenGo; 08-29-2011 at 09:46 AM.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    This is so interesting to me but mainly from a digestive point of view. I've read there are connections between seretonin and IBS which I have and that most of our seretonin is in the gut. I do feel a weirdness throughout the day like I am not getting enough sugar for my brain and it usually goes away after a few bites of sweet potato in the afternoon. Not sure if I have this correct about the connections but I'm still interested in the results here.

I haven't read the book but would love to know if there are any paragraphs concerning folks with blood sugar issues wanting to try this?

I feel for you gals with all of this trial and error stuff and the rollercoaster you're having to ride in order to find what works...
    Would be on the rollacoster no matter what, so might as well see what can give me the longest comfy rides.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar View Post
    This is so interesting to me but mainly from a digestive point of view. I've read there are connections between seretonin and IBS which I have and that most of our seretonin is in the gut. I do feel a weirdness throughout the day like I am not getting enough sugar for my brain and it usually goes away after a few bites of sweet potato in the afternoon. Not sure if I have this correct about the connections but I'm still interested in the results here.

I haven't read the book but would love to know if there are any paragraphs concerning folks with blood sugar issues wanting to try this?
    For IBS I have to recommend this The IBS Low Starch Diet Book for Irritable Bowel Syndrome - IBS

Harold Whitman

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast