Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Anything to the Serotonin Diet or BS? page 8

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Okay, here is the first for you. I took out about 0.5 oz of nuts yesterday as a snack, and ate one, then put the rest back in the fridge. Because I didn't want any. And I didn't have a large dinner, because we didn't have that much chicken left & hubby said he was hungry. Wicked or what? Gods, if it's gonna last, I might stop dreading evenings!!!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Wow, it will be so interesting to see if this is still holding for you in a few weeks/months. It sounds like ... dare I say it, lol ... the food reward theory is holding true for you. Do you think it fits?
    Though I do think there's some truth in it, I don't think it's the main thing that's happening here.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member
    Well, I guess I am applying one of the principles ie the timed carb, though Cruella (lol) would certainly not consider me to be doing PNP in any way whatsoever.
    You know? In retrospect, Cruella DeVille had way too much style to be compared to that twit. DesMaisons is more like... I don't know... maybe the Sea Witch in the Little Mermaid? But she was pretty awesome too, and her big number is great to sing at karoke. So I dunno. THAT TWIT, lol. All of the Disney villainesses are too cool to be compared to her.

That 'my way 100%' thing... yeah, I sure remember that. I don't know if she's getting off on making people completely turn off their brains and obey obey obey EVERYTHING she says, question NOTHING etc. Seriously, psychologist- heal thyself! Calling her a cult leader to her face was the highlight of my whole damn RR experience. (She then banned me for life, but worth it!)

I went to the UK ranch once. She made me cry in front of everyone.
    Geez, who the hell would do that? I would have stood up and cussed her to her face for that. (And then she'd probably throw me out of the Ranch, but seriously....wtf, lady?)

Glad you got out of the mess. It sounds EXACTLY like leaving a cult.
    Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
    "Cookie is a sometimes food."
    "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
    -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

Quote Originally Posted by CandylandCanary View Post
    You know? In retrospect, Cruella DeVille had way too much style to be compared to that twit. DesMaisons is more like... I don't know... maybe the Sea Witch in the Little Mermaid? But she was pretty awesome too, and her big number is great to sing at karoke. So I dunno. THAT TWIT, lol. All of the Disney villainesses are too cool to be compared to her.

That 'my way 100%' thing... yeah, I sure remember that. I don't know if she's getting off on making people completely turn off their brains and obey obey obey EVERYTHING she says, question NOTHING etc. Seriously, psychologist- heal thyself! Calling her a cult leader to her face was the highlight of my whole damn RR experience. (She then banned me for life, but worth it!)

Geez, who the hell would do that? I would have stood up and cussed her to her face for that. (And then she'd probably throw me out of the Ranch, but seriously....wtf, lady?)

Glad you got out of the mess. It sounds EXACTLY like leaving a cult.
    Yeah, it was. The "learn to take direction" thing was a disaster for me. I was already very good at that thanks to a disfunctional religion and marriage, I needed to learn to take responsibility for myself! Of course the first thing I did once I got the hang of that was walk away from RR!

I just don't understand the "my way 100%" thing. I could never see how the world could be classified into ss and not ss people, surely it's a sliding scale with a whole lot of other issues thrown in (she has now taken on board gluten as a common issue, doing that included sacking the person who was running the wheat free group and taking claim for the stuff she's researched and written as if it was her own work). I don't see why she can't accept that one size fits all isn't going to work. Well, I think she is gearing it for her target audience- messed up 50+ sugar addicted housewives who don't know science and can't handle working at the sort of level we do here, who need to be told "just eat breakfast". The rest of us, we just carry on struggling because we're not addressing our issues properly, or we leave and find another way.

She made me cry because she was on about that "big self" stuff. I already told her my dream for my life, but she never would accept it because it wasn't big enough. She knew I had a biochemistry degree and was top notch academically in my youth, and she just wouldn't accept me wanting a "smaller" (in her eyes) life than she thought I should have. She singled me out in front of everyone and asked me what my big self would be like and I just sat there and cried because I didn't know what to say, because I knew nothing I could say was acceptable to her, she saw my views about being around for my family as part of a problem, whereas for me it's a valuable and rewarding way to live, and I don't want to give it up to get a full time job. Of course she never knew that was why I was crying, she thought it was because I was upset that I was too messed up and "misery addicted" to be able to dream. She thought I was a wimp that was doing what others expected and wanted, she didn't even understand that what I was doing was profoundly counter-culture and that I had gone out on a limb to live the way I wanted- marrying straight from uni, having a baby the next year, going on to have 4 kids and being a SAHM etc. Anyway, rant over lol.
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 08-26-2011 at 01:02 AM.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    So sad for those faults, b/c RR did a profound thing for you and me both, short as it was of the full mark. It got us started, and some of the principles she came up with are good ones to incorporate into whatever sugar addiction steps may be worked into any kind of "program" - they're just not the be-all end-all. The stuff "hiding in the steps" was good for me, too, learning to quit saying why I can't do XYZ and make it happen for the sake of my health. But no, we're not all born SS, and no, we can't all eat gobs of grains. Period. My way or the highway is a pitiful way to look at life.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

I am trying prunes today, because I have this bright idea that I may combine the beneficial serotonine boost with the digestive system aid, and then i do not have to do the fibre suppliment. If prunes work, then I can switch to dry figues, because I hate the dry figues, so I will eliminate the 'taste satisfuction'. I brough 40 g prunes, 100 cals, 25 carb, 15 g sugar according to the package.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    So sad for those faults, b/c RR did a profound thing for you and me both, short as it was of the full mark. It got us started, and some of the principles she came up with are good ones to incorporate into whatever sugar addiction steps may be worked into any kind of "program" - they're just not the be-all end-all. The stuff "hiding in the steps" was good for me, too, learning to quit saying why I can't do XYZ and make it happen for the sake of my health. But no, we're not all born SS, and no, we can't all eat gobs of grains. Period. My way or the highway is a pitiful way to look at life.
    So true.

Harold Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I am trying prunes today, because I have this bright idea that I may combine the beneficial serotonine boost with the digestive system aid, and then i do not have to do the fibre suppliment. If prunes work, then I can switch to dry figues, because I hate the dry figues, so I will eliminate the 'taste satisfuction'. I brough 40 g prunes, 100 cals, 25 carb, 15 g sugar according to the package.
    Oooh let us know how it goes. I'm thinking of trying fruit sometime. Serotonin diet says fruit doesn't work but RR suggests an apple as a potato alternative so worth a try.

Harold Whitman

I looked up a huge table on the sugars break-down and it looks like dry fruit are relatively close to honey, proportionally, for glucose/fructose, if not as high. So, if honey works, I figure dry fruit might.

I am also starting to work on eliminating gum chewing in conjunction with the mid-afternoon starch/sugar boost, to see if I can break the habit (I average 7 pieces of gum a day).

I really, really, REALLY like that nuts are unappealing. I can't emphasise this enough.

IndigoBanshee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is really interesting, and I think I will have to try it. I have gotten terrible night munchies since I started paleo (and never did on CW diet). I've also noticed my mood has been suffering lately, though there are some IRL non-food obstacles that have popped up. I've never bought into the "must be low carb to be paleo/primal" theory anyway, and I don't get real bad sugar cravings like I used to, even at night, just the desire to eat something.

I am still puzzled why so many primal people seem to assume that 1 tsp of honey or a little fruit is not primal and "high carb"....

And that lady sounds like a whack job. It's unfortunate that you all had to go through situations like that. I've seen it happen in all areas with people who are more concerned with their own fame than the health or well-being of others, but they're always the type of people that would never admit they're the ones that really need help.
    Last edited by IndigoBanshee; 08-26-2011 at 06:46 AM.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast