Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything to the Serotonin Diet or BS? page 5

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by CandylandCanary View Post
    I have a similar thread, I guess I should have read this one first, lol.

Here's what I know about serotonin:
    -A lot of so-called 'hypoglycemia' carb cravings may well be low serotonin. That was the case for me.
    -Addendum to that: some so-called 'serotonin low issues' may actually be low dopamine. Or, as in my case, BOTH.
    -For all these dietary things, you can read a million opinions online, but ALL that matters is how it affects YOU. And you can only judge that by trying it out.
    -In my case, more carb means more carb cravings. In particular honey, potatoes or god forbid rice or other grains. I'm happier without them.
    -The serotonin diet thingie does sound a lot like the Potatoes Not Prozac thing. I have zero respect for PNP, I think it's unsuitable for many many people with carb problems. And that's even before you get into the weird cult of personality it has going on.

I agree with the person on this thread that said you don't put out a fire by throwing gasoline on it. Eating carbs to stop yourself from wanting carbs when carbs make you want more carbs is... yeah.

But, in the end, everyone is different.

So, I dunno. Try the serotonin diet out. I know it'll send me into carb binge, but eh. That's me, you could be different.
    I think the point is that it's not just randomly eating carbs, it's about having a small amount at a specific time to keep serotonin up. For me, I'm not using it as a cure-all, but to offset the depression I get when I go low carb, because I am following a low starch diet for arthritis. Well worth a try for my situation.

With something like this or PNP, I think the thing to do is to take from it what is helpful to you and discard the rest. For example, piles of grains with meals obviously isn't a good idea, but a small amount of safe starch or carb 3 hrs after a protein meal can be helpful for me. If you know honey, grains or whatever doesn't work for you, yeah sure don't do it . Mind you, if you expect it to trigger a binge, it probably will .

How are you doing anyway? Not seen you around for ages and been wondering how you were getting on
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Honey was in one of the proposed menus, not on their lists. I looked at their lists, and there was nothing on them that works with Paleo. I was about to toss book in the "return to the library" pile, when I noted honey on the menu.

And, yes, I am a person for whom carbs beget more carbs - that's why Anabolic Diet did not work for me, I just couldn't stop eating carbs on the carb-up day, it was gross!

I dunno if I should be documenting every little thing, but for the record. I had the first junk food craving in a while.

This morning (or likely yesterday night) someone left in the kitchen hub the sorta biscotti looking package of bisuits, and I was feeling that one with coffee would be just what the — That’s where it stopped. Yeah, it was 6 am, and I was alone there & no witnesses. I took my coffee black, as usual, and decided that if I still want a biscotti in a month or so, I will buy one from some really good coffee-shop as my September Cheat of the Month. Funny, how we do crave the most unexpected things. I am not a big coffee person, and the last time I bought anything in a coffee house was maybe a year or so ago, for social occasion, and iirc it was a cup of tea….

So, bypassed an emotional craving easily.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member
    With something like this or PNP, I think the thing to do is to take from it what is helpful to you and discard the rest.
    Fair enough. I admittedly have a very bad attitude about PNP... mostly because following it made me sicker than I've ever been. Starchy carbs like potatoes are not my friend.. oddly, since I'm Irish, lol. But if it works for you, there's no reason not to do it. Diet is like religion, these days... best to just let everyone do it however they please.

I suppose it does actually work for some people. I just object to the cult leader- I mean, founder's attitude that it works for EVERYONE without exception and if it makes you sick, you're just lying and/or not eating ENOUGH potatoes! Yeah! Yeah right, lady. Anyway, lol. Not for me.

And, yes, I am a person for whom carbs beget more carbs - that's why Anabolic Diet did not work for me, I just couldn't stop eating carbs on the carb-up day, it was gross!
    Same here. Caused me to become bulimic, in fact. Life is a hell of a lot smoother without carbs, for me. I like veggies just fine and 1-2 pieces of fruit are plenty.

To each their own, though.

How are you doing anyway? Not seen you around for ages and been wondering how you were getting on
    I'm a lot better. My ED went poof literally overnight when I started Wellbutrin. Turns out I have lifelong dysthymia, which is just the Chinese water torture version of depression. My family and environment taught me to self-medicate in from early childhood with... SUGAR. Lots of it. When I started getting fat, I didn't like that so.. hey! Lets try anorexia! And most anorexics then become bulimic. But in the end, it was all just my brain not having enough serotonin and dopamine (and endorphin, and GABA, etc). As soon as I could medicate that better- and I have to say that Big Pharma has a good idea now and then, since wellbutrin is pretty wicked- I didn't need to torture my body with carbs anymore just to get so I could tolerate life.

I'm not 100%, though. I'm pissed off that I still have low energy and I can't work as hard as I want. But my diet is very stable and my weight is right where I want it, at 120lbs. I let myself have a whack of stevia and coffee and even zomg evilbad ENERGY DRINKS (diet, naturally.) My attitude is that I'm not in this to be a dietary saint, I'm in it to enjoy my life. I like coffee and caffeine. I'm happy with my weight and my diet, and I don't care if it's not perfect and pristine and saintly. Who the hell wants to be a saint, lol!
    Last edited by CandylandCanary; 08-12-2011 at 12:33 PM.
    Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
    "Cookie is a sometimes food."
    "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
    -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Same here. Caused me to become bulimic, in fact. Life is a hell of a lot smoother without carbs, for me. I like veggies just fine and 1-2 pieces of fruit are plenty.
    I just almost blacked out after ~ 2 months both time I tried AD, and that was that for me.

I am glad you seem to be doing better & it is important for everyone to find just the right thing for them!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member
    I am glad you seem to be doing better & it is important for everyone to find just the right thing for them!
    Indeed. And equally important for everyone to just let everyone else do their thing. I try not to be the Primal version of the 'sanctimonious meat-is-murder vegan,' low. Even sugar isn't EVIL, after all. It isn't even really... objectively... bad. It's just not good for me.
    Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
    "Cookie is a sometimes food."
    "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
    -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

I'm really glad to hear things are going well. As for Radiant Recovery, well you won'[t get any judgement from me, I left for very similar reasons after 10 years of involvement. The bad food advice (eat more, eat more, eat more, when I was sick with celiac, eat more, eat more, eat more, when I wasn't in perfect health after- I was eating so much I dreaded meals and felt sick and bloated much of the time, I was 270lbs and gaining, when I pointed that out I got told I had "diethead" and didn't want to heal, and then that I had "misery addiction", um no I was just sick) and then also bad life advice when I joined the Friends and Family group to help deal with marriage issues, she told me my husband was abusive, I explained I was behaving badly too and it was a relationship dynamic, so then she asked if he was abusive or I was being a brat, which was it, and accused me of playing her. After 10 years of knowing me her accusing me like that really upset me. And she kept telling me I was totally co-dependent with my husband but after reading a couple of books she recommended I realised it was her I had co-dependency issues with! I was thinking all the time "Would Kathleen approve of this?". I walked away. I've emailed her a couple of times, because there is a lot of wisdom in the program and it's a shame she's messing with people's heads, giving bad advice to those who need more than just the program to be healthy, and driving people away. But I doubt she's able to listen.

Having said that, I'm not going to turn my back of aspects of the RR program that help me. if I hadn't done RR I wouldn't have realised so quickly what was going on when I got increased depression and sugar cravings after going low carb. It's just a shame I can't tolerate starches and disaccharides due to the arthritis.

I think I have been dysthymic all my life, unfortunately. Still trying to find a way to ameliorate it without ADs, but whether I can do that or not, who knows. My mum is on ADs and my dad was too before he died.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

I just wanted to update and say the honey is working brilliantly. I am taking about 2tsp 3 hrs after each meal, I take tryptophan 30-60 mins before as well. I feel better than I have in years and have no sugar or dairy cravings.

However, it's not working for me because it is triggering joint pain flare ups. I guess even though it's monosaccharides it's still feeding the Klebsiella in my gut. So near, yet so far from a solution!

Harold Whitman

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Glad its working in some ways Horsewoman!! Hope you figure out the joint pain stuff! (I have experience w/ it, and know it sucks!!!)
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    So, just a little update, I've been doing this for about a week using fruit, mostly bananas. (The sugar is mostly from glucose and sucrose, minimal fructose, which is why I figured it might work after reading about the success of using honey.)

Anyway, I'll typically have half a banana to a whole banana, sometimes w/ other fruit or a little fat (coconut milk etc) and no protein 2-4 hours after lunch and dinner. Maybe its the placebo effect, but I think its really really helping! I am not having any food cravings, esp not for non-primal stuff. (The thought of most non-primal foods kind of grosses me out.) I might sample a piece of super dark chocolate (which I think is totally primal ) without wanting more than a nibble. I am eating lots of good, yummy, primal food, good amounts of protein and veggies as well as some fruit or starchy veg at meals, plus these banana etc extras, and I am not thinking about food at all--at least not in an obsessive, cravy way. I'm just eating good food when I'm hungry, and CRAVING protein (as Leida mentioned earlier) at times when I would have typically craved carbs in the past.

Also, I am not taking any amino acids right now (used to do 5-HTP but was taking a break and am still off of it atm.) This is feeling simple for me, and it hasn't really felt this easy for a long while (after my big breakdown when I fell back into my eating disorder patterns after whole30 early in the year). I'm not counting anything (which I think is very important for *me*) and eating when I'm hungry, which is typically 3x a day, plus those banana snacks. I'm really impressed with this!! It may be too early to tell, but I do think just doing these specifically planned banana snacks is making a big difference for me! Yay! SO glad you shared this! I will keep you posted on if this continues working for me...
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Posting just to subscribe for the heck of it. I don't have depression and dream like a maniac, so I'm kind of scared to jump onto serotonin fixes, and I don't have evening food cravings (those went years ago, probably when I added protein thx to the RR cult, lol); usually they're between 11 & 7, lol.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast