Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything to the Serotonin Diet or BS? page 4

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Sooooo intrigued about this!! Ladies keep sharing your progress with this!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Let me know if it works for you. And, yes, the timing is the same here: ~ 3 hours after protein/fat containing lunch.

Basically, honey with herbal tea was the only thing on their list that was primal. The one I am using is organic unpasterized honey, it does not say which flowers specifically it was collected from. Back in the old country you could buy hiney from every plant in existence. If we go for a trip next year, I am going to buy a bit of lynden honey.
    Thanks. I've been trying to find out whether honey in the UK is pasturised, I don't see unpasturised anywhere unless it all is. I have the Serotonin Diet book, need to give it a skim through
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Do you have any farmers markets nearby? I can get raw, local honey at a couple of farmers markets where I am (I'm in the US though.) You could buy it on iherb if you HAD to... Y.S. Organic Bee Farms, Raw Honey, 22.0 oz (623 g) - iHerb.com
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Okay, I gotta share this. I had to see a doctor after work, so here I am, it's after 5 pm, waiting for a train, hungry, and here comes a little girl eating a muffin. I didn't salivate. My mind was going: a girl with a muffin, MEAT, MEAT, give me MEAT! Funnily, on the next bench to me in the train, a guy and a gal were sitting and having a conversation.
    Guy: Hungry.
    Gal: Have a yougurt?
    Guy: Nah.
    Gal: You don't like yogurts, do you.
    Guy: Look, I just want real food.

My brain: Yes, give me MEAT!

So, that's a negative for carbs calling for more carbs/sweets.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

I just wanted to check about quantity, is a tbsp equivalent to the amount of carbs she says in the book? My honey has no nutrition info on it. I'vebeen doing a big heaped teaspoon in a cup of herbal tea to avoid getting too much of a sweet taste.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

They had 2 tsp in the book, but I am using 1 tbsp simply because I have a handy tiny jar that is 1 tbsp, so I pour some in and figure, it's like 1 tbsp or less.

They had 2 tsp in the book, but I am using 1 tbsp simply because I have a handy tiny jar that is 1 tbsp, so I pour some in and figure, it's like 1 tbsp or less.
    What book is it you have?

Harold Whitman

Heya, it was:

Title:The serotonin power diet : use your brain's natural chemistry to cut cravings, curb emotional overeating, and lose weight
    Author:Wurtman, Judith J.
    Publisher:Rodale,Pub date:c2006.Pages:xiii, 290 p.ISBN:9781594863462

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member
    I have a similar thread, I guess I should have read this one first, lol.

Here's what I know about serotonin:
    -A lot of so-called 'hypoglycemia' carb cravings may well be low serotonin. That was the case for me.
    -Addendum to that: some so-called 'serotonin low issues' may actually be low dopamine. Or, as in my case, BOTH.
    -For all these dietary things, you can read a million opinions online, but ALL that matters is how it affects YOU. And you can only judge that by trying it out.
    -In my case, more carb means more carb cravings. In particular honey, potatoes or god forbid rice or other grains. I'm happier without them.
    -The serotonin diet thingie does sound a lot like the Potatoes Not Prozac thing. I have zero respect for PNP, I think it's unsuitable for many many people with carb problems. And that's even before you get into the weird cult of personality it has going on.

I agree with the person on this thread that said you don't put out a fire by throwing gasoline on it. Eating carbs to stop yourself from wanting carbs when carbs make you want more carbs is... yeah.

But, in the end, everyone is different.

So, I dunno. Try the serotonin diet out. I know it'll send me into carb binge, but eh. That's me, you could be different.
    Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
    "Cookie is a sometimes food."
    "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
    -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

Heya, it was:

Title:The serotonin power diet : use your brain's natural chemistry to cut cravings, curb emotional overeating, and lose weight
    Author:Wurtman, Judith J.
    Publisher:Rodale,Pub date:c2006.Pages:xiii, 290 p.ISBN:9781594863462
    Thanks, I thought it was that one, then I wasn't sure because I just read it and didn't see any mention of honey, must have missed it or maybe it's a different edition.

Harold Whitman

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast