Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything to the Serotonin Diet or BS? page 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    This is incorrect. I can quote the New Evolution that tells you that some people continue to experience sweet cravings well into paleo eating and never get rid of it. They recommend BCAA, but if I can use honey, I prefer honey. I had done AD twice which is very low carb, and it only exaggerated my sweets cravings. To be honest, if I can eat fresh produce, a little fruit, loads of protein and healthy fat and a tbsp of honey a day, am happy, break through the weight-lifting plateau and not experience any desire to touch jam, nuts or cheddar or dive into the bins with fruit in the fruit aisle, I do not care what the particular diet is called, Primal, Paleo, Serotonin, or whole-foods. I want to eat things that are healthful, and I believe that honey is a healthy, healing substance.

If it doesn't help me through the Sunday night in a small quantity like that, then I will know that it is not working and try something else.
    Last edited by Leida; 08-05-2011 at 11:26 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Violette is offline Senior Member
    I do take tryptophan at bedtime... I,too find that onlyabstinance works for sweet cravings. Sometimes I have a little sweet potato with dinner and that seems fine as far as cravings go. I've done it at lunch too and that worked but I wouldn't want to eat sweet potatoes every lunch. Seems it could set me off. Nothing is worth that. I really like being craving free. 5-http makes me cranky and critical. Knave to go for the Trp itself.

I am starting to try ~ 1 cup of sweet potato slices after every heay lifting workout as per LG protocol. That's 3 times a week. So far I did it only twice, Tue and Thursday. The sweet potato never really impacted my cravings though, even when I had it before. Right now, all I want is a Sunday night when I do not end up staying up late and binging one little thing after another. Fingers corssed!

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    i have had absolutely zero carb cravings since doing a leptin reset 5 weeks ago.

i know a lot of people are probably sick of hearing about leptin but i believe it really is the key to controlling your appetite. i suspect that it is leptin that is what should be talked about in these books since it is the appetite suppression hormone, not serotinin which actually increases appetite.

why anyone would want to eat carbs to get rid of carb cravings is beyond me. kind of like throwing gasoline on a fire to try to put it out
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

It is not the hunger thing, which I finally manage with flying colors. It is about the cravings for sweets specifically. I do not know if you have experienced the feeling when you are full, but you are anxious to find *something* and that something is generally chocolate, jam or marshmellows or sprout-grain bread.

In my case, on will-power prohibiting the jam and marshmellows, it resulted in eating a lot of fruit and nuts and dairy after dinner, piece after little piece, berry after berry, a sliver of cheese after a spoon of quark. I do not experience this impulse when I have this tablespoon of honey, and I do not any more of it, after I have it at the right time of the day specified in the book. I do not eat honey as a treat or in responce to a craving. It is like taking a pill that safeguards my dinner. I find that I even get full at dinner on much less than before, and common, a tbsp of honey is what? 90 calories? It cannot contribute that much. And, yes, I tried eating other stuff at that time, egg whites, vegetables, bacon slices, and not one of them had the same blanket positive effect. I mean, how many folks here wax poetic about having a piece of dark chocolate to calm their sweet cravings. Same thing, only the idea is that fat-free honey with its powerful sugar load kicks the brain into happy gear faster.

If the system resets itself after the initial Wow, sugar! shock and I start having the cravings again, I will stop and go back to the good old will-power & egg-whites.

On the whole though, effortless and avoidance of anything artificially distilled and derived is what appeals to me aboutthe Primal/Paleo ideal. I love it that I do not count calories any more. That I do not count the minutes of the excersise. I do not overexercise. I am not miserable. But, I also do not want to graze nut by nut when I do not need any nuts.
    Last edited by Leida; 08-05-2011 at 01:55 PM.

Orchid is offline Senior Member
    Carb refeeds have done wonders for my mood, which was suffering from vlc primal. This improvement has become the biggest reason for me to do refeeds now, and here I thought I was just working on stubborn BF.

FYI: I stick to sweet potatoes and white potatoes and eat them post-heavy workout in the mornings, with the rest of the day high protein. I hear there's benefit to evening carbs, but it just doesn't jive with my schedule. Carb refeeds don't give me cravings for excessive amounts, fortunately. In fact, I find it very filling.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    This tbsp of honey between 2 and 4 pm was working nicely for me so far. I didn't feel like binging on fruit or anything else after dinner, and did not have endless tea after dinner. A cup or two with a tiny bit of honey was just enough, and yesterday I merely dipped spoon into honey after supper, licked it, and didn't want anything any more. And I have no craving to add art sweetener to my berries or quark. And didn't want any chocolate or jam or panty goods at all. I just hope it is not a 'novelty' effect & I can reduce amount of honey 2x between 2 and 4 pm. AND I went on the deficit of sleep all week so far (just unlucky circumstances, not proud of it). And didn't want coffee this morning.

BUT! Battle Sunday is in just 2 days!
    Leida, this is fascinating to me. Would you share what your typical day's menu is like? Are you lower carb primal or staying in the maintenance range? Are you eating fruits other than berries? This is very interesting to me--thanks for keeping us updated on your progress!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Classic is offline Senior Member
    I eat most of my carb intake at dinner time. I find I sleep better doing that. Most all my carbs come from vegetables with an occasional bowl of berries. I eat between 50 - 70 carbs per day ( a square of chocolate occasionally). I try to have mostly protein and fat for breakfast and lunch. I have been feeling very good since I get a solid nights sleep eating this way.

I was always a very light sleeper, waking many times a night till eating this way.

maddie427 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwabbit View Post
    If you are eating primal/paleo properly you shouldn't be getting sugar cravings.
    If your carb intake has increased enough to cause cravings, then I think you are not doing any kind of paleo/primal. Here this means a conflict between Serotonin and Primal/Paleo diets.
    This isn't entirely true. It would be great if this was this black and white for everyone. If you don't have enough Serotonin in your body, some people do crave sweets, as a means for your body supporting the mechanism that transports serotonin that you do have to your brain.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwabbit View Post
    If you are eating primal/paleo properly you shouldn't be getting sugar cravings.
    If your carb intake has increased enough to cause cravings, then I think you are not doing any kind of paleo/primal. Here this means a conflict between Serotonin and Primal/Paleo diets.
    Gonna have to disagree w/ you, and I think most of the posters in the following threads would as well.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread32223.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread19847.html

We are all unique, and what works for some of us does not work for others. Good for you if you've conquered all cravings though. There are folks who have been eating paleo/primal for YEARS and are still dealing with these issues... From what I've read, serotonin is often related...
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast