Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Anything to the Serotonin Diet or BS? page 10

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Wow, I've just spent an hour reading some of this thread - it's amazing! Firstly, I'm hugely relieved to hear that I'm not the only one who didn't do well on RR, and who pissed Kathleen off in the process. At the height of my involvement I almost booked tickets to RR from New Zealand - thousands of $$. Luckily I came to my senses. I felt soooo sick and got really fat on that diet, and never really nailed the full amount of protein and carbs. There, that's my confession. However, she started me on the track of looking at blood sugar and serotonin.

My struggle with primal is that I keep reading that to lose weight I need to go LC or VLC (I'm about 60lb overweight right now) - in fact weight loss happens only if I go to pretty much meat only. But then the only good thing about being alive is that the scale is going down. I get exhausted, very cranky, and start to live my days in a fog of misery. I've been reading on this and other sites about needing to just stay with it, push through those feelings to come out on the other side - but it just keeps getting worse. Surely by now, 6.5 months on primal, I wouldn't just have the low carb flu?

It's all compounded by my IBS. I've used primal principles to do a lengthy elimination process and now know I can't eat high or moderate FODMAPs, nuts and nut products, cruciferous veges, raw veges like tomatoes and lettuce, dairy (except small amounts of butter), and now kumara and other sweet potatoes. I also have problems with large amounts of protein and fat, which meant I immediately crashed and burned on the leptin reset thing.

One thing I don't have, though, is evening cravings. I tend to crave sugar in the afternoons, but rarely think of food after dinner.

Right now I'm doing OK mood and energy-wise on much higher carbs than are recommended by Mark. I don't count (makes me crazy, literally), but I have reasonably large servings of rice or white potatoes every day at dinner time, and sometimes at lunch as well. I also have around 2 servings of fruit a day, usually blueberries, banana and occasionally I really want the crunch of an apple in spite of the diarrhoea that will follow. I'm really not sure about the timing of the fruit - I hear that it 'should' be eaten at mealtimes to avoid the BS crash, but I suspect I do better if it's between meals - which clashes with the 'no-snacking' idea. Sifting through the advice/rules is exhausting, so I'm stoked to find this thread where you're all looking right outside the square to find solutions.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Have you looked at leaky gut? That's a lot of food intolerances!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Jac
    Mamagrok, I assume that I have leaky gut and that some of those intolerances will heal over time. Did you mean anything specific about it?
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I was thinking of a specific protocol like GAPS, or just an overall focus on lots of bone broth, fermented foods, and coconut oil for gut healing.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Jac
    Oh, yes totally thinking the same way. I can't quite get up the courage to try fermented foods - I keep associating 'fermented' with gas and pain. I use lots of coconut oil, slow cooking of bony meats, and also am taking L-Glutamine for its gut healing properties. So far I'm seeing good successes and now only rarely have to take pain meds for gut and joint issues.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Jac's I know you've probably checked this one out already, but I found that coffee, even decaf, was another thing that did a number on my tummy. Bone broths seem to help, and I have found ferments feel good too. I can handle a bit of cabbage, so I have sauerkraut, but I guess you can ferment anything. I am thinking of trying to ferment carrots - somehow that sounds right.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Jac
    I don't like coffee, which is just as well I think! Overall, the last 6 months have been great for healing my gut and I didn't mean to hijack the thread with this topic, sorry. My main pleasure with the thread was finding others who have the mood issues with low carb. I feel so much happier at present with additional carbs - I just want to find a way to keep up the healing as well as losing weight as well as staying happy and energetic. That means I want it all, lol, and I want it now

The idea of deliberately using carbs as a mid-afternoon snack is promising. I didn't bring any with me today, but will start trying it tomorrow.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic View Post
    I eat most of my carb intake at dinner time. I find I sleep better doing that. Most all my carbs come from vegetables with an occasional bowl of berries. I eat between 50 - 70 carbs per day ( a square of chocolate occasionally). I try to have mostly protein and fat for breakfast and lunch. I have been feeling very good since I get a solid nights sleep eating this way.

I was always a very light sleeper, waking many times a night till eating this way.
    Is there a reason for mostly fat and protein for breakfast and lunch is this just to keep the carbs down to 50-70g per day and mostly eat them at dinner as helps with serotonin?

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910