Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thought on why grass fed cows are less healthy page

wiltondeportes Guest

Thought on why grain fed cows are less healthy

Primal Fuel
    Aside from all the factory farming effects that probably make up a large portion of the standard meat vs quality meat argument, you have quality grass fed and quality grain fed meat.

People are quick to say grain fed cows are less healthy even with better living conditions. They point to the types of fatty acids. My thought is that part of grass feeding is the process of collecting the grass to eat. Maybe the grain fed cows are simply lazier/get less exercise because they don't have to walk around, collect grass, and chew it all???? Maybe it's not the chemical compounds in the grains that are making them less healthy per say?

Just like how exercise has a higher level of importance in human health than nutrition, maybe exercise comes before nutrition for health of other animals? Makes sense to me. I don't have the biological knowledge of cows or grains to say this for sure though.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 07-30-2011 at 10:36 PM.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    It is too bad that grains elevate the levels of e coli in the cows to a level that is 1000 times normal for their system. Then the fact that grain feeding a cow for 180 days is a death sentaence for them. There are so many reasons that grain fed beef is bad. You might want to do a little research before spouting off.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyAl View Post
    You might want to do a little research before spouting off.
    Learning comes when one makes a statement and through dialogue determines whether or not that statement is true. There is nothing wrong with putting a thought out there. You don't need to slap it down like that. The reason we have these forums is so that we can engage in conversation and constructive debate. The OP made an argument, you provided a counter argument. That was enough. Now the OP can reply or others can jump in to correct or defend his or your position. And we all learn and grow.

Jesus.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    exercise has a higher level of importance in human health than nutrition,
    At least you discredit yourself and save me the typing.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyAl View Post
    It is too bad that grains elevate the levels of e coli in the cows to a level that is 1000 times normal for their system. Then the fact that grain feeding a cow for 180 days is a death sentaence for them. There are so many reasons that grain fed beef is bad. You might want to do a little research before spouting off.
    If the cow that's fed grains got equal exercise, equal living conditions, and not fed other shit with their grains (like candies in their wrappers), would the statistics still show this? You seem like the one spouting off when you don't provide any evidence. I'm starting a conversation.

Being grain-fed is awfully vague in itself. Is grain-fed being fed grain for 3 months out of the year when the fields freeze over and grazing on grass for the rest of the year? Is grain-fed being offered equal opportunity to eat fields of grass or heaps of grains? Is grain-fed being fed grain for just the last few months of their lives? What types of grains? Alfalfa? Oats? Hay? Wheat? Others?

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    At least you discredit yourself and save me the typing.
    People who eat healthy and don't exercise are all going to be fat.
    People who don't eat as healthy but live a life of exercise will atleast be able to run a mile and lift a log over their heads.

Life is about motion. You stop moving and you die.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 07-30-2011 at 10:38 PM.

weird fish is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    No, that's... wrong.

Health is not just the ability to not be eaten.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    People who don't eat as healthy but live a life of exercise will atleast be able to run a mile and lift a log over their heads.

Wrong again. Without the proper building blocks, your liver cannot magically provide everything your body needs.

Tried that. Hurt all over and chronic joint pain made my strength worthless for actual day-long work. I was hauling 200 pound stacks of wood on my shoulders and lifting solid-core doors all day, with plenty of reaching and spraying with a stain and lacquer gun in between. I stirred huge vats of solvent and hauled full buckets all day. I had the power, but my mind, organs and bones were giving out. If you eat like crap, you will become crap. The end.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by weird fish View Post
    No, that's... wrong.

Health is not just the ability to not be eaten.
    You could feed someone the *healthiest* food ever decided upon. If they lay in a bed for a month, their muscles atrophy and their overall health declines. I don't know how you can possibly argue that nutrition supercedes exercise.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Wrong again. Without the proper building blocks, your liver cannot magically provide everything your body needs.

Tried that. Hurt all over and chronic joint pain made my strength worthless for actual day-long work. I was hauling 200 pound stacks of wood on my shoulders and lifting solid-core doors all day, with plenty of reaching and spraying with a stain and lacquer gun in between. I stirred huge vats of solvent and hauled full buckets all day. I had the power, but my mind, organs and bones were giving out. If you eat like crap, you will become crap. The end.
    Nutrition and exercise are related. Good nutrition helps your exercise. Exercise does not help your nutrition.

I know eating like crap while moving all the time is not a recipe for perfect health. That's taking it to one extreme. It's still better than the other extreme. Your genes may also not be up to par either. There's plenty of elite athletes out there in the world who eat 'crap' as defined by Primal Blueprint. In there, there's still a lot of elite athletes who probably eat crap as defined by any standards.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 07-30-2011 at 11:27 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast