Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Obesity and Energy Balance: is the tail wagging the dpg page 2

DigitalSurgeon is offline Senior Member
    it all starts in the gut.......and is all monitored in the brain. The details are what confounds folks. The greatest break throughs in medicine are going to come from the brain gut axis. I cant stop talking or writing about it and how it all ties things together. And what we absorb is clearly most important but it is based upon what we fuel ourselves with and what bacteria we are colonized with. The differences in those factors are where different disease come from. For example.....when the outcome of our digestion in the portal circulation is low level chronic IL-1b cytokine we se autoimmune disease as the outcome. When it is IL-6, TNF-alpha with depleted Se, Vitamin D, low Vitamin K levels and high cortisol and insulin we see cancer, When it is some of those to a lesser degree.......we get IBD, Heart disease, type two diabetes........The common denominator.......the gut determines what we are going to face as we age.

Paleobirdy is offline Senior Member
    @digisurg, I read your leaky gut posts, and I am wondering if it is possible for someone to get all out of whack just from a severe case of food poisoining. I do know someone that had gotten reactive arthritis after a long bout of food-borne-illness.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSurgeon View Post
    it all starts in the gut.......and is all monitored in the brain. The details are what confounds folks. The greatest break throughs in medicine are going to come from the brain gut axis. I cant stop talking or writing about it and how it all ties things together. And what we absorb is clearly most important but it is based upon what we fuel ourselves with and what bacteria we are colonized with. The differences in those factors are where different disease come from. For example.....when the outcome of our digestion in the portal circulation is low level chronic IL-1b cytokine we se autoimmune disease as the outcome. When it is IL-6, TNF-alpha with depleted Se, Vitamin D, low Vitamin K levels and high cortisol and insulin we see cancer, When it is some of those to a lesser degree.......we get IBD, Heart disease, type two diabetes........The common denominator.......the gut determines what we are going to face as we age.
    I take it that you are NOT in the "just eat less, move more, the rest is baloney" camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobirdy View Post
    @digisurg, I read your leaky gut posts, and I am wondering if it is possible for someone to get all out of whack just from a severe case of food poisoining. I do know someone that had gotten reactive arthritis after a long bout of food-borne-illness.
    its possible if the length of time is greater than 48 hrs......that is a lifetime and half for some bacteria.....to colonize and take over.

Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    I take it that you are NOT in the "just eat less, move more, the rest is baloney" camp.

If you're into total bullshit you buy that........If you read my words you know I swim in a deeper pool. My brain gut axis posts are pretty clear where I stand. Evolutionary biology 101.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    If you're into total bullshit you buy that........If you read my words you know I swim in a deeper pool. My brain gut axis posts are pretty clear where I stand. Evolutionary biology 101.
    Yeah I know... was just messin around....

more-

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    It all starts in the gut as you said - we need to give it a lot more importance, particularly when prescribed certain pharmaceuticals and their side-effects in relation to the gut.
    The overall study was really good to read.

Sue
    Quote Originally Posted by akm3 View Post
    So...nuke the gut with antibiotics to kill the healthy gut bacteria, reducing the number of calories you can absorb and TA DA! America's newest diet fad?
    Yes, exactly!! You look and feel like shit because you can't absorb most of the nutrients from your foods but you're skinny!!

Paleobirdy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    It all starts in the gut as you said - we need to give it a lot more importance, particularly when prescribed certain pharmaceuticals and their side-effects in relation to the gut.
    The overall study was really good to read.
    Oh, you mean like sucralose?

Sue
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobirdy View Post
    Oh, you mean like sucralose?
    Yeh, sucralose (splenda) is damaging - this site linking it to digestive imbalances - affecting ghrelin levels:
    Splenda Causes Digestive Imbalance | Natural Society

I was thinking about as an example Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs) that are prescribed to decrease stomach acid production. You're not meant to take them for very long because if they reduce your stomach acid production you will have less HCl. If you don't have enough HCl it can't combine with pepsinogen to create pepsin enzyme to break down protein you eat. You don't digest and absorb much of the protein you eat. HCl also kills any nasties you happen to eat along with your food.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast