Thread: that_fat_guy working to be just that_guy page

that_guy is offline Junior Member

that_fat_guy working to be just that_guy

Primal Fuel
    Hello, so my 29th birthday was a few weeks ago and I tipped the scales to 236+ pounds (I'm only 5'8"). I decided it was time to do something about thisso I bought a bicycle and decided to start researching diets that will help me drop some of this extra person I'm carrying around. Remembering a time in my past when I had dropped about 40# on "Body For Life" that's where I decided to start looking. I started talking to a friend of mine that's heavily involved with CrossFit and he suggested looking into the paleo/primal styles.

So, I scoured the internet and landed here eventually. There is soooooo much good information here that I decided to give a few of the foods listed a try. Yeah, I'm hooked on this lifestyle. Now, how to convince my wife? I've been eating this way for a little over a week and already starting to see weight loss. I started eating this way at about 230# and at just a week in I've lost almost 10#. While I don't expect to continue to see that kind of loss it has been nice to see results so quickly. Tonight for dinner I made the "Heroin Chicken" that I saw linked somewhere from this forum. Yeah, that was the first time I had ever seen my wife go for seconds on a meat serving. So, she thinks this will work for her too. Oh and I showed her a bunch of pictures from the before/after threads.

Anyhow, I've had very little issue with switching my diet over, but today someone walked by e with pizza and I felt like pepe le pue following the scent trail lol. Then my kid was at a birthday party and they brought out cupcakes and I literally started salivating. Other than those two events I'm doing well.

Interesting side effects, I've been sleeping like a rock despite my ungodly early wake up time. I've suffered from insomnia since I was 13. My whole family has problems with it, but now I'm going to sleep easier and sleeping better until that evil clock goes off at 4am.

I don't really have anumbe in mind for weight loss but I'd like to be able to take my shirt off without feeling embarrassed. So here is a nice bacon omlete for the future, more healthy, me.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! You're off to a great start but don't let yourself be misled by the grain devil. Cupcakes really aren't worth it.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. It's great that you and your wife are in this together!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Luckly, stubborn is my first middle and last name. I did not give in. I just thought it was funny that I suddenly started drooling...

Tomorrow will be a test though, supposed to go out to eat with the in laws. I don't know where yet so I can't plan in advance. Maybe an IF will be in my future.

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    Welcome! You're off to a great start but don't let yourself be misled by the grain devil. Cupcakes really aren't worth it.
    I completely agree. Stay away for at least one month before you breakdown and 'splurge'. I'm halfway into my second month - and I have recently found that grains are so difficult to eat, I eat too much (I think) and I'm stuck after with a cannonball in my gut for hours that I don't want them. blech. Focus on letting your body transition for now.

Maybe ... later, I will find ways to add in small treats (I'm not completely willing to give up cake and sourdough bread forever and ever) but it's far too early for me to figure it out yet.
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    You are off to a great start. I find, having read the PB, that I don't crave grains and their evil offspring all that much. Once you know what they do to you, it's way easier to pass them up.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Well, the last few days have been a bit of a struggle. I'm doing fine with the food but when i get off work (5-10am) I'm exhausted. I'm not sure what is going on since (for the first time in my life) I'm getting 7-8 hours of sleep and according to my unscientific sleep monitor it is actually good sleep. I come home and just crash for an hour or two. This works right now but when school starts up again this won't fly. Hopefully its just an adjustment period.

On a side note I've been making a BAS for lunch most days and at dinner a few nights ago I had a caeser salad. It was the most bland thing I had ever eaten. I suppose I've been ruined by having salads with lots of flavor.
    Last edited by that_guy; 08-03-2011 at 05:03 AM. Reason: typos

I figured I would update this now that a month has gone by. I weighed in at 213 this morning. Yay! I was frustrated for a bit because I had stalled at 220 but I realized that my pants were still getting loose and I've had to punch a new hole in my belt. Energy levels are great and I'm still sleeping like a rock.

sixpack-rc is offline Senior Member
    Awesome! Keep up the good work. I'm a few weeks behind you but chugging along and seeing great benefits too.

~rc

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, I've not been terribly active around here over the last 6 months. I have stuck with the diet though. It's been great for me. The weather around here has been unseasonably warm so I broke out the shorts I bought last summer. I sort of forgot that I was a lot heavier then. This is the result:

(sorry about the dirty mirror)

Yeah, I could wear those without a belt when I got them. They're size 38. I'm currently wearing size 33 jeans. Overall I've lost 60lbs since my journey started. This puts me within 15lb of normal weight on the BMI chart which is closer than I've been in a long time. In fact, I'm now 10lb less than when I graduated high school! My wife has also been doing it with me and has lost a little over 30lb as well. She's even starting to get the toned tummy she wants so badly.

Thanks for all the great information and food recipes. I couldn't have done it without this site.

Oh, and just about everyone at work has seen my progress and decided that they are going to give it a shot too. Even a couple of my friends have jumped on board.