Thread: Standing desk question page

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member

Standing desk question

Primal Fuel
    Hi Everyone

I have converted to a standing desk that I am using probably 3 or 4 hours a day, and I have found since I have started that I am getting hip pain. Nothing acute, just a general achiness, which I am attributing to the standing rather than sitting for that period of time. Has anyone else found anything similar, and if so, how long was the adjustment, and what did you do to work through it?

Thanks in advance!
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

liza is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JKC View Post
    Hi Everyone

I have converted to a standing desk that I am using probably 3 or 4 hours a day, and I have found since I have started that I am getting hip pain. Nothing acute, just a general achiness, which I am attributing to the standing rather than sitting for that period of time. Has anyone else found anything similar, and if so, how long was the adjustment, and what did you do to work through it?

Thanks in advance!
    When I started using a standing desk, I found it useful to stand in the yoga position Tadasana (Mountain Pose). It's used in yoga as a starting position for standing poses, in between standing poses, or by itself to improve posture.

I found that by standing in Tadasana (at first I had to think about doing it, and concentrate; after a couple of days, it was natural) I could be at my desk all day, and at the end of the day, feel good.

If you're not familiar with yoga at all, just google "tadasana" and you'll find how to do it - there's nothing exotic, strange, or esoteric about it.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Interesting position. I haven't done yoga so I am unfamiliar with it, but after getting used to it, it feels comfortable. I think it will require quite a bit of practice to do it properly and to build "muscle memory" around doing it.

Thank you
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Quote Originally Posted by JKC View Post
    Interesting position. I haven't done yoga so I am unfamiliar with it, but after getting used to it, it feels comfortable. I think it will require quite a bit of practice to do it properly and to build "muscle memory" around doing it.

Thank you
    You're welcome - hope it helps. That "muscle memory" you speak of, from this pose, wll do amazing things for you in places you've never dreamed of - or at least that's been my experience!

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    I had the same thing happen when I switched to a standing desk. I try not to lock my knees and stay in one spot too long, which means I fidget constantly but no more hip pain. I also do squats and other leg exercises while waiting for things to load or while reading a long piece.

Gonna give the yoga pose a try too, thanks Liza for sharing!
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Over time, I've found myself frequently doing simple balance poses, shifting weight to one leg and the like.

Very slow walking in place, in good posture, can feel good; I also sometimes stood on a balance board/wobble board while I was getting used to using the standing desk.

Overall, I think my key to comfort with standing has been the "muscle memory," as JKC called it above, of good posture and balance.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Get a little foot-stool and take turns putting one foot up on it and then the other.