Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Potatotes, yay or nay? page

Kaizen Guest

Shop Now

Well I'm going to say Nay, but I haven't seen anything specific while reading the primal blueprint that is against them. Just to clarify, I mean white potatoes. I ask because this morning I had some hashbrowns (shredded potatoes fried). According to the nutrition facts it only had about 12g of carbs, which isn't too bad, but I want to know if potatoes are a primal food.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I very rarely eat potatoes, and when I do it's sweet potatoes/yams...

But man I do love me some hashbrowns (cooked at home in my own oil or bacon grease) - would be nice if they were "primal."

I think most people avoid them based on the carb count and the fact that they don't really have a lot of nutrients (the white ones) - regardless of "primalness." But as far as I know they don't have the negative-nutrition that grains do (binding to vitamins and stuff so you can't use them) so my guess is that as long as you are insulin sensitive (not resistant) they couldn't hurt now and then.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

JamieBelle is offline Member

My "carbing up" on the weekends consists so far of one whole sweet potato. mmmm. It's so yummy.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Omg I LOVE sweet potatoes and butter...

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Tarlach is offline Member

Grok did not eat potatoes.

Here&#39;s what Mark says:
    [quote]

When it comes to vegetables, seek out root vegetables including carrots, turnips, parsnips, rutabagas and Swede (but not potatoes or other starchy, high-carb varieties)
    </blockquote>

or http://www.marksdailyapple.com/hold-the-fries/

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Kaizen Guest

Alright thanks all, I&#39;m not big on sweet potatoes or anything like that. I remember reading about the "root vegetables" part, but couldn&#39;t remember if this included potatoes. Ah well, this morning was my last time eating them, but they were damn good, hehe.

Just stick to sweet potatoes then, they&#39;re so much tastier. They&#39;re not real potatoes, they&#39;re roots, like carrots and beets...

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Raphael, Kaizen just said "I&#39;m not big on sweet potatoes" haha.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

ooops!

I just love them so much lol...

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Like they say Raphael, love is blind I believe Primal agrees with Paleo on the potato issue. Potatoes are poisonous if eaten raw (even CW knows that), which is why they are a non-paleo food. I actually haven&#39;t had a white potato in over 6 months, but I&#39;ll have sweet potatoes once a month or so because, as Raphael said, they are delicious

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast