Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me, or is everyone yelling at each other?? page

Angieh is offline Senior Member

Is it just me, or is everyone yelling at each other??

Shop Now
    I've been primal/paleo for about 18 months and have been a member of MDA for about 15 months. I went on a three week vacation earlier this month, and I swear, since I've been back it just seems like everyone is jumping each other's s*** constantly. Maybe it's just the threads I've clicked on (been reading here and there since I've been back), but I've seen tons of attacking, name calling (is carbtard the new favorite word here??), and general ill will toward others. I've noticed also LOTS of newbies with join dates of just a few days ago up to maybe 2 months ago -- I know at that point in my journey, I was reading and learning all I could -- who seem to have a holier-than-though attitude and have no problem calling people trolls or blatantly telling others they are doing primal wrong.

WTF? Seriously. Read and learn, people. It's offensive to act authoritarian when you haven't read Mark's book or anything by Wolf, Cordain, Taubes, or other experts who have studied the science behind this. Or when you have just dipped your toe into this lifestyle. Be humble. Read and learn. Share your experiences. But don't shout and act so self-righteous. It is unseemly, to say the least, and at worst, it will likely run potential new people off.

I don't usually post this sort of diatribe, but I'm not digging the serious negative vibe on this site since I've returned, and I've also noticed many MDA respected veterans don't seem to be posting much anymore. Have they been scared off? Maybe they are tired of the immaturity. Maybe it is an age thing.... I don't know.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there any way we can bring back the respectful tone that MDA used to have? Thoughts?

taylor044 is offline Junior Member
    I completely agree, I'm new here but the stuff I've seen going on in threads is unbelievable. I've learned a lot by going through some of the most popular threads, which happen to be older and have a genuine desire to learn about them. I'm a noob here and I act like it, I don't give out much advice and I don't pretend my word is gospel. Why do people feel the need to attack someone just because of a difference in opinion? There also seems to be a few people that are causing most of the problems. These people act like they know it all, are seeking attention, and spamming the forums with useless threads.

Quote Originally Posted by taylor044 View Post
    I completely agree, I'm new here but the stuff I've seen going on in threads is unbelievable. I've learned a lot by going through some of the most popular threads, which happen to be older and have a genuine desire to learn about them. I'm a noob here and I act like it, I don't give out much advice and I don't pretend my word is gospel. Why do people feel the need to attack someone just because of a difference in opinion? There also seems to be a few people that are causing most of the problems. These people act like they know it all, are seeking attention, and spamming the forums with useless threads.
    Welcome, Taylor! I'm so glad you haven't been run off by all the hate that's on here lately-- there is sooo much good stuff here to learn! You seem to be using a wise approach yourself -- read, learn, respect, ask questions. Best of luck to you on your primal journey, and let's hope we see the tone change around here.

On a side note, I have a dear friend right now who is dealing with an NPD husband (narcissistic personality disorder). He is difficult in the EXTREME, and I'm beginning to wonder if online forums attract people with this sort of personality. Nasty, always think they are right, full of themselves, incapable of listening and learning from others, irrational, manipulative... it's not pleasant.

Again, though, this is such a great site with a wealth of information for those who are here to learn. I think I will just stay clear of the bickering threads, and I'm glad you are doing the same.

Captain Archer is offline Senior Member
    On a side note, I have a dear friend right now who is dealing with an NPD husband (narcissistic personality disorder). He is difficult in the EXTREME, and I'm beginning to wonder if online forums attract people with this sort of personality. Nasty, always think they are right, full of themselves, incapable of listening and learning from others, irrational, manipulative... it's not pleasant.

I also have social anxiety disorder and split personality disorder but the above fits me as well. I try my best to calm it down by enjoying time to myself in the woods I live in, but I often can't help but lash out on things I am too afraid to try for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Archer View Post
    I also have social anxiety disorder and split personality disorder but the above fits me as well. I try my best to calm it down by enjoying time to myself in the woods I live in, but I often can't help but lash out on things I am too afraid to try for myself.
    I hope you are receiving lots of help.

Captain Archer is offline Senior Member
    Niacin it helps a lot! Also having a good 3 to 4 hours of no disturbance surrounded by nature helps a lot.
    I tried the medical approach but after being on about 15 different medications over the past 23 years, I hate doctors.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    It's not just you. There are a lot of really dumb and annoying new people on here along with the usual new group of interested newbs soaking it all in. When anything goes mainstream, it will attract all types, it's kind of a mark of success, but it makes me feel like Paleo stuff can never go mainstream because apparently lots of people are incapable of reading a book or two, distinguishing between expert advice and internet forum randomness, writing at all coherently, etc. - and you can't really do this whole thing if you think Primal / Paleo is "Caveman Cookies" - Original Caveman Cookies: Healthy, Gluten-free, High-protein, Paleolithic (1 Bag of 12 Cookies): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Grrrrrrr...
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Caveman Cookies=Hamburger patties?

it sucks when people discover your secret headquarters.

...and I LOVE YELLING!!! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

usernamewhy is offline Junior Member
    in my experience with internet forums this is the path most forums go, when a critical user base is reached. downhill.

first stage: small user base -> genuine interest in the topic
    second stage: bigger user base -> veterans and newbs are balanced in numbers, everything ok
    third stage: huge increase in user base -> dumb newbs, that ask stupid questions instead reading/educating themselves with stickies or general material flood the forum, veterans starting to leave
    fourth stage: forum looses active members, some stick around and spam their daily 5 posts. (the 5000-10 000 post users)

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Unfortunately, forums seem to be a good place to spill out any unresolved anger people have without having to face the normal consequences that you get from spilling that same anger out at people in your lives.

I agree that I would prefer a more respectful tone sometimes. I admit I have been more bitchy in my tone than I would have liked to be at times too.

I feel that, having read a few books and done some research, that I do have a little bit of an idea of what the paleo philosophy is, so I think I have something useful to say at times, but I don't know if any of us here are "experts" and if someone is looking for an expert opinion they had best go to a different source.

Nonetheless - I agree - LETS TRY AND BE NICE
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast