Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Lovisa page

Lovisa is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal - Lovisa

Shop Now
    Hello all.....

I am 22 (soon to be 23) and I live in Texas. This weekend is the weekend that I finally take the plunge and start my own primal journey, having been inspired by a lot of the results that you all have posted. Although weight/fat loss is a definite goal for me, it is not the primary goal right now; I mostly just want to feel better! I just moved last month across the country to start a new job, and it has really got me down. I work overnight shifts and I do not enjoy that at all. My main problem is a lack of energy, as I am *ALWAYS* tired. This has been exacerbated by my horrible work hours, but I have felt this way for as long as I can remember. Just tired. I'm not anemic and I don't have thyroid problems, so I think that this Primal lifestyle will work well for me and hopefully correct this.

Over the last couple of weeks I have been making some very slow, minor transitions to get in the primal groove. I've started eating berries as snacks and I have increased the portion of my calories that come from fat. One thing I have noticed is that my hair is shinier and prettier (though oily after one day without washing!).

Tomorrow I am cleaning out my pantry and grocery shopping, and I will also weigh in (I don't own a scale yet, as I didn't feel it was important enough to bring with me across the country ). I am 5'10". Like I said, I really do want to lose weight, but my main priority right now is just to have energy and improve my mood. Once I start feeling better, fat loss and fitness will definitely be my focus!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Lovisa! Shift work is always tough. Primal will make it easier on you. Good luck.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

First stats...

Weight: 190.0 lb
    Body fat: 36.2%

Bust: 42"
    Waist: 34.5"
    Hips: 42"
    Thighs: 26.5"
    Right arm: 14"
    Left arm: 13.5"

As far as my first day on the diet goes, I am still just learning how it all works, but I sure hope cheese is allowed! I went to a local dairy farmer and stocked up on some delicious, fresh cheese. I don't have room in the freezer yet, but when I do, I'm also going to get my chicken and ground beef from there as well. Support your local farmers! The first meal I had today (I can't use "breakfast" "lunch" and "dinner" because I keep such weird hours) was some vegetables in a cheese sauce. For some odd reason, I was full after eating half the plate. Not complaining, though! I haven't been hungry all day, but I'll be having some tomatoes and fresh mozzarella after I get off the computer. I suppose there might be a glass of red wine in there too

Well, my first weekend didn't go so well, as I failed spectacularly to eat low-carb as my "last hurrah". I ate popcorn at the movies, and I just now woke up with my throat feeling scratchy and my attitude is pretty negative. Normally I wouldn't think to connect that, but I was pretty good about being low-carb the couple days before that and my attitude had improved tremendously. Hmm...of course, I'm always bummed about my weekend off being over, so who knows!

So, tonight I'll IF at work, and just drink green tea throughout the night. I normally suck down coffee which doesn't typically do too much to keep me awake. I'll probably be struggling with everything I've got just to stay awake (that's how it usually goes). Going primal will be worth it just to get the energy to survive 12+ hour shifts!

None of the vegetables I had in the freezer were inspiring me, so I decided to make myself half a bag of sweet potato fries. (One of my favorite snacks.) I was getting ready to pour ketchup, as usual, when I looked at the label and thought, "nah...". So what did I do? I spread a big hunk of butter on 'em! And here's the real kicker....I used to always eat half of the bag, but I got halfway through my plate and was FULL! What's up with THAT? I still crammed the rest in because it tasted so good though, lol. Sweet potato fries are something I'm planning to use more as a special treat, but I need to clean out my freezer. I'm going to a local farm this week when I have a day off and I'll load up on some chicken and beef. Time to start actually cooking!

I'm probably updating this thing too much....oh well!

I just got off work, was IF the whole time (about 14 hours). I did get hungry about halfway through, but I just ignored it. Was amused by dieting coworkers telling me they had personal trainers telling them to eat more often to keep their metabolism up. I've known that was bunk since before I ever heard of primal!

Anyway, still cleaning the freezer out of all the frozen dinners I've had stored in there. They're all those Healthy Choice or Lean Cuisine meals, which claim to be healthy due to their whole grains. Usually it's rice, so I've just been tossing that part of it. It's hard to throw out food that I like, but I did it.

But, overall, I had a surprising amount of energy at work, considering I didn't get much sleep during the day. I hope this continues!

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    I am also 5' 10" but started this journey a couple of months ago eleven pounds heavier than you. I have now dropped 13 pounds (OMG!!) with very little effort. Primal eating becomes easier with time and provides you with TONS of extra energy. The days I have very little protein intake I have little energy but the days I have high protein everything falls into place. My attitude is good, my energy is great! Protein keeps you feeling full so you don't have the urge to snack during the day.
    Don't get discouraged and update your journal as often as you feel the need. I do.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Also, take it slow. Get comfortable with the way of eating, then add in IF, then the exercising.........
    For me it has gotten to the point that breakfast keeps me full until dinner so IF'ing during the day is so easy because I am just not hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    I am also 5' 10" but started this journey a couple of months ago eleven pounds heavier than you. I have now dropped 13 pounds (OMG!!) with very little effort. Primal eating becomes easier with time and provides you with TONS of extra energy. The days I have very little protein intake I have little energy but the days I have high protein everything falls into place. My attitude is good, my energy is great! Protein keeps you feeling full so you don't have the urge to snack during the day.
    Don't get discouraged and update your journal as often as you feel the need. I do.
    Congrats!! That is so good to hear!!!

Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Also, take it slow. Get comfortable with the way of eating, then add in IF, then the exercising.........
    For me it has gotten to the point that breakfast keeps me full until dinner so IF'ing during the day is so easy because I am just not hungry.
    IFing is something I've been doing on and off before I ever heard of Primal, so that's kind of the first place I'm starting. I've had some weight loss success with that before, and I've found it very convenient. I'm still working through Mark's book, and through the website blog archives, so I don't know all the ins and outs of how to eat yet. My plan is basically to start picking out as many primal foods as possible to eat, while IFing, and then slowly try and eat more and more primal, if that makes sense.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast