Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Lovisa page 3

Lovisa is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    So I originally mentioned that my primary goal was to have more energy and not feel tired all the time, and given that I've all but forgotten that that was my real goal, I'd say I've succeeded. I bounce between nights (working) and days (days off) every couple of days, and I don't have problems staying awake during either of them. So now I'm at the point where I just want to keep working on feeling better and better (my mood could still use some work, and I definitely notice it plummetting after lots of carbs and sugar) and continuing to lose weight.

But, I'm not sure whether my weight loss and all has been due to PB, IF, or the combination of both. I fast at least 12 hours on my work days, and sometimes about 20. I've found that eating this way works for me and I really like it. I don't think I was able to go this long without eating when I didn't have so many calories from fat and protein. I'm going to continue to tweak my diet to make it healthier, and I'll start adding in exercise soon. I already had one person at work ask me if I'd lost weight....of course, this was right before she asked to go home, so that may not actually mean anything.

I keep eating things that I know that I shouldn't, and I keep being reminded just why it is that I shouldn't be eating them. I understand now why people do fail at primal, even though it's just right.

Anywho. One day at a time. It's unrealistic to expect someone who has never cooked for themselves in their life to go from that to full-on 100% paleo/primal. So I'm going to bring down my expectations a bit so I'm not getting so discouraged all the time. I have made great improvements, however. I've lost 5 pounds since the beginning of August. My super-tight shorts I bought three weeks ago that I couldn't button and had to keep on with the old hair-band trick now fit just fine - not loose, but not tight. I now know that if I eat certain things, I will feel badly after. And that's usually kept me from eating them. I look forward to breakfasts of eggs, bacon, and a tall glass of whole milk. Haven't managed to really incorporate much veggies yet, but I'm working on it. Again, the main thing holding me back is my lack of a will to cook and that's just something I'm going to work on. But the good news is, I have nowhere to go from here but up! And even with this weak adherence to PB, I'm still better off than I was a month ago! My only goal right now is to be better in one month than I am now.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    When I read the Primal Blueprint book, the one sentence that stuck in my head was this. If nothing else, cut out the grains. Now, stop berating yourself for not cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    When I read the Primal Blueprint book, the one sentence that stuck in my head was this. If nothing else, cut out the grains. Now, stop berating yourself for not cooking.
    Thanks honeybuns. That's where I'm at now, just trying to make better food decisions and work my way into it. I wanted to do too much in the beginning. I think I'm doing pretty well, though, all things considered. I decided to try coconut milk today.....didn't quite like it, but with enough effort I can make myself like anything, lol.

Coconut milk was an acquired taste for me. I definitely prefer almond milk to coconut milk.

I'm super happy to report that my first cooking experiment wasn't a complete disaster. In fact, I'd say it was a resounding success! I sauteed some fresh veggies in butter and it was fast, easy, and delicious! The only disappointment was that I got too full to eat the entire thing! I've been worried about not getting enough vegetables, but it looks like that's not going to be a problem. Yay!

Well, as you guys have seen, I've been struggling....and I had almost a week off PB, with things at work making me break and eat donuts and such. (The Big Boss brought in donuts for my birthday.....I had to! Not sure I needed 3, though, lol.) I caved and ate bread at one point. I don't feel any different really.....but I do know that I want to keep eating PB to lose weight. So, I'm picking it back up again.

Today I have to go get a health physical for my work's health insurance. It will be interesting to see since I haven't had one in a long time. It will be a nice "before" metric, especially against next year's when I get it!

Anyway, just a little update to say I've got to get back on the wagon.

I got my health assessment done, obviously I won't have the results of the bloodwork for a while, but still some interesting things.

Blood pressure: 114/72
    Wrist: 6.75"
    Waist: 34"
    Hips: 43.5" (think my shorts added some extra there)
    Weight: 189.6 lb (this is with clothes)

All in all not too surprising. And now to break my fast.....bacon and eggs!

Well everyone, I'm embarrassed to say that I have not been doing well the last few days. I have been completely off primal. It's been good and bad. The bad is that I've felt awful: depressed, fat, and sleepy. I would sleep all day and still have no energy for the night. Whereas when I was trying to eat primal, I'd sleep 6 hours or less, and have far more energy. The good news is that I've validated exactly why I need to be primal! Eating all the junk food I'd "missed" did nothing but make me feel terrible. So I'm happy to say that I'm getting back on the wagon.

PrimalCon New York
    We'll call it your little "experiment" rather than failure. As an experiment, it was a success!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast