Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about veraity page

TraceurX is offline Member

A question about veraity

Shop Now
    SOOOOO Lets jump right in shall we?

My goals are to get stronger and have more functional muscle strength so that I can be prepared for any situation

with that in mind I have a few questions about switiching up workouts

1. Should you do it?

2.is yes how should you do it, should you just increase the weight/difficultly (squat to pistol squat) or changeing the grip/hang position (pushup to wide or diamond pushups) or do you need to change it is some different way all together

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    If your talking about muscle confusion, that concept is crap. If that's your concern you want to read up on motor learning. If you're not increasing reps to muscle failure or increasing the weight or challenge to muscle failure, you are standing still.

As far as being prepared for any situation, you're dreaming. Fight or Flight response will kick in when it matters. You may survive or you may meet your maker.
    Last edited by pyro13g; 07-29-2011 at 07:51 PM.

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    plus a big one - muscle confusion = crap

We have SS/SL/NR people and HIT/BBS/HD people who love to argue and insult each other but the commonality is that simple strength is the basis of everything(except probably extreme endurance sports). Even on the xfit boards there is a very common idea that to be better at xfit running SS first would be a very good thing.

I'm more and more of the opinion that it all boils down to push,pull,compound legs.
    mode of resistance means little
    exact protocol means little
    just f***ing push, pull and 'squat' something heavier regularly
    when(if) you stall 3 times move on to something clever

Quote Originally Posted by bcbcbc2 View Post
    plus a big one - muscle confusion = crap

We have SS/SL/NR people and HIT/BBS/HD people who love to argue and insult each other but the commonality is that simple strength is the basis of everything(except probably extreme endurance sports). Even on the xfit boards there is a very common idea that to be better at xfit running SS first would be a very good thing.

I'm more and more of the opinion that it all boils down to push,pull,compound legs.
    mode of resistance means little
    exact protocol means little
    just f***ing push, pull and 'squat' something heavier regularly
    when(if) you stall 3 times move on to something clever
    So if I wanted to I could stick with deadlifts and just up the weight without pleatuing? also what about changeing grip/hand position where does that fit in?

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    a plateau means you progressed something long enough for it to get hard to make more progress. First thing is just to take a break, lower the weight and try to progress right through the old plateau weight. After you do that a couple times you may need to get complicated. Point is to actually get there before you worry about the fancy stuff.

Changing grip on deads may be a poor example of what you're getting at. Other than going mixed when hanging onto the bar gets really difficult I don't see any point in ever changing grip.

If variety is a goal in itself for you then I think you're better off creating a weekly program with variety than changing exercises weekly or monthly.
    ie
    m - bench
    w - dips
    f - db bench
    is probably much better than bench for 2 weeks change to dips etc etc

szorn is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TraceurX View Post
    SOOOOO Lets jump right in shall we?

My goals are to get stronger and have more functional muscle strength so that I can be prepared for any situation

with that in mind I have a few questions about switiching up workouts

1. Should you do it?

2.is yes how should you do it, should you just increase the weight/difficultly (squat to pistol squat) or changeing the grip/hang position (pushup to wide or diamond pushups) or do you need to change it is some different way all together
    Everyone will have a different opinion on this, for good reason. The truth is that it depends on your goals. "Muscle Confusion" isn't crap as others have said but it is limited in application. Those that say "Muscle Confusion" is crap, just don't understand it's use. Changing the routine every workout or every week or every couple of weeks (Muscle Confusion) can be beneficial for general conditioning (GPP) and fat loss. However, if you are looking to gain strength in a specific movement or exercise then you would want to stick with that exercise for a period of time. For example, you can't get stronger at pull-ups by performing pulldowns on a machine. You can't better at deadlifts unless you train deadlifts. It's pretty simple.

However, primal man obviously didn't perform the same physical movements every day of every week. So, it amazes me to see so many claim that we must stay with a specific routine for an extended period of time. Variety is not only beneficial from a physical standpoint (lower rates of overuse injuries) but also from a mental standpoint (more enjoyable and more likely to stick with regular exercise).

Steve

szorn is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro13g View Post
    If your talking about muscle confusion, that concept is crap. If that's your concern you want to read up on motor learning. If you're not increasing reps to muscle failure or increasing the weight or challenge to muscle failure, you are standing still.
    Training to failure is only one way of getting where you want to go. I previously trained with HIT for over 20 years and I have used it to train others. But to believe that it's the only way to accomplish the goal is misguided. There are a thousand times as many people not training to failure as those that do and they continue to get results.

As far as being prepared for any situation, you're dreaming. Fight or Flight response will kick in when it matters. You may survive or you may meet your maker.
    I believe he was talking in the everyday sense, not necessarily about life and death altercations. However, even if he was there are ways to prepare the mind and body for life or death altercations as well. There are obviously no guarantees but those who have an understanding of the realities of life-or-death altercations and prepare for them accordingly will have a higher chance of successfully surviving them. It should also be emphasized that this preparation includes more than lifting some weights.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by bcbcbc2 View Post
    a plateau means you progressed something long enough for it to get hard to make more progress. First thing is just to take a break, lower the weight and try to progress right through the old plateau weight. After you do that a couple times you may need to get complicated. Point is to actually get there before you worry about the fancy stuff.

Changing grip on deads may be a poor example of what you're getting at. Other than going mixed when hanging onto the bar gets really difficult I don't see any point in ever changing grip.

If variety is a goal in itself for you then I think you're better off creating a weekly program with variety than changing exercises weekly or monthly.
    ie
    m - bench
    w - dips
    f - db bench
    is probably much better than bench for 2 weeks change to dips etc etc
    by hand grips I ment for pushups and pullups.

@szorn
    In the primal fitness guide mark suggestions moveing on on the same exercises, slowly increaseing difficulty, is that the same idea? what type of plan would you suggest.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i think in order to be prepared for any situation, you need to put yourself in as many situations as you can. sure, find a strength program that works for you, but don't make that you're only workout. work on strength and endurance. lift barbells, do lots of bodyweight exercises, work with sandbags, pick up heavy things and throw them around, run, bike, swim, do plyometrics, climb things, and sprint your ass off.

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i think in order to be prepared for any situation, you need to put yourself in as many situations as you can. sure, find a strength program that works for you, but don't make that you're only workout. work on strength and endurance. lift barbells, do lots of bodyweight exercises, work with sandbags, pick up heavy things and throw them around, run, bike, swim, do plyometrics, climb things, and sprint your ass off.
    This sounds good, like something a knight or warrior or spartan would do....now to figure out a plan......

and just to confirm I shouldn't do things on a whim right? you should always plan ahead correct?
    Last edited by TraceurX; 07-30-2011 at 04:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast