Thread: 1 months effect of Primal lifestyle on military PT standards page

IowaCavalry is offline Junior Member

1 months effect of Primal lifestyle on military PT standards

So I begin this month long journey as 100% NON primal. Today is literally the first day that I have consciously decided to devote myself to primal living. Even my breakfast and lunch was not in the least bit primal. I didn't get enough sleep. I haven't properly fueled. I haven't been maintaining proper physical fitness.

So with all of that in mind, this log is to prove that the human body can and WILL overcome the neglect of my previous lifestyle utilizing MDA and primal methods even in as short of a time as one month. It will not be about exploring the Primal lifestyles effect in a perfect situation with months or years of primal living experience. nor will I judge it as such. I do intend to break new ground here. So with no further delay, here is Day 1 of my log.

Goals: Vastly improve my Army Physical Fitness score which is based off of successful numbers of pushups, situps, and a timed 2 mile run.

Background: Graduated OSUT March 24th, passed PT test in May. Sedentary lifestyle besides semi-active work and AT orders. Lifted regularly two years ago.

DAY 1:
    Diet: Breakfast: None. Lunch: Sesame Chicken, fried rice, crab rangoon, spring roll, Fanta soda.
    See what I mean by literally decided to go primal about 2 hours ago? Ya, my diet will be getting an overhaul, I promise that.

Water intake: 8oz. This needs improvement.

Physical: Tired, did not get enough sleep nor quality sleep. Zero physical activity so far today. Some shoulder pain from AT.

Mental: Motivation 4/10. Stress is low.

Today I will be setting the baseline for Pushups and Situps timed within 2 minutes. Strict military form. 10 minutes rest between each exercise.

Results:
    Pushups in 2 minutes: 43
    Out of a total score of 100, 43 pushups equals 61. Thats only 1 point above the bare minimum required for the army. Not very good. Arms and chest extremely tired. Gassed out quickly.

Situps in 2 minutes: 47. Out of a score of 100, 47 equals 50. That's ten points below minimum and a failing score. This particular score might not be totally accurate as I still had a small amount of recovery left to do from a PT (physical training) session a few days ago.

Analysis: As you can see, the bar has been set VERY low, with one score failing altogether. This log is literally a worse case scenario with not a single primal principle in place before beginning it. Every friday till the end of this log I will be including my updated PT scores. The weeks between will be devoted to specifically training for those scores along with a general fitness improvement. Every day I will be including a log of training and diet.

See you tomorrow!
    Last edited by IowaCavalry; 07-29-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Good luck!

js290 is offline Senior Member

Day 2: Woke up with more abdominal soreness than upper-body soreness. Too early to notice any signs whatsoever of following Primal guidelines. For lunch I had an grilled asian salad with 8 oz. of water. Abdominals were sufficiently sore to not require additional work but for the upper body I did a quick regimen of 20x3 pushups in order to not atrophy but not enough to cause additional muscle catabolism.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaCavalry View Post
    Day 2: Woke up with more abdominal soreness than upper-body soreness. Too early to notice any signs whatsoever of following Primal guidelines. For lunch I had an grilled asian salad with 8 oz. of water. Abdominals were sufficiently sore to not require additional work but for the upper body I did a quick regimen of 20x3 pushups in order to not atrophy but not enough to cause additional muscle catabolism.
    Getting Ripped Abs With No Direct Abdominal Exercises | Drew Baye's High Intensity Training
    Effects of periodic and continued resistance training on muscle CSA and strength in previously untrained men - Ogasawara - 2011 - Clinical Physiology and Functional Imaging - Wiley Online Library

I like the research, that first one was especially interesting!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    And regrettably I have to put a two week hold on this log as I am moving and have been way too busy to maintain the diet standards I had set. Two short weeks though!