Thread: The Anti-Shoe page

Steve-O is offline Senior Member

Was wondering if anyone here has experienced MBT's anti-shoe? They are on the expensive side, so I'm looking for some first-hand feedback.

http://us.mbt.com/default.aspx

Thanks!

Mark Sisson is offline Administrator

I've never used 'em, but I've always thought that the concept seemed ridiculous. What's the best way to make a shoe more like going barefoot? I know! Add more of a sole to it! Yes! More shoe equals less shoe. That makes sense.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Exactly what I though!

They look so bulky. They don't resemble bare feet in anyway.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

chowza is offline Member

I can&#39;t wait for the super-advanced version of this shoe to come along in a few years, with about 10 inches of hi-tech padding on the bottom. It&#39;ll be like walking on stilts...

Check out my blog here.

lbd
    lbd is offline Junior Member

They remind me of the shoes that you used to see on children about 40 years ago when they had a shorter leg or some orthopedic problem. I had to laugh when I saw my 73 year old MIL wearing a similar pair about 2 months ago. Her doctor recommended them to help her bad back. She was still hobbling about two weeks ago. I tried to convince her to buy Vibrams, but no luck. They think I am crazy anyway with all my dietary differences

Steve-O is offline Senior Member

Ok. Thanks. Saw them in the shoe store across the street from where I work. Also saw the $200.00+ price tag. That&#39;s a pretty big leap for me. Figured I&#39;d ask around first.

Kaizen Guest

Sadly all us who were Vibrams get looked at as if we&#39;re the crazy ones, while they wear shoes with soles 2in thick. I had a friend who wore beat up Asics and had ankle braces on both legs and thought I was crazy for wearing Vibrams. Funny thing is, I ran faster than him and I never had any shin splits or any pains like he did. I wear Vibrams pretty often to workout, unless it&#39;s raining outside (I wear the KSO model). I also have a pair of Newtons, which are great shoes, but they&#39;re still shoes. I use them every now and then because they&#39;re not used often. I ended up buying my Vibrams a week after I bought my Newtons.

kam904s is offline Member

I&#39;ve been meaning to hunt down a pair of real moccasins (if only I can find a decent pair for less than $100!). Right now, since I live in Cali and come from the midwest, I&#39;m still walking around in little &#39;ol thin sandals. I get weird looks but they&#39;re SO MUCH less hassle and bother than regular shoes. But they&#39;re not flexible enough. I desperately want to toughen up my feet. :-(

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

I think we talked about those shoes here before. Anyways, I read about all kinds of brands of shoes that suppose to immitate barefoot walking, and MBT&#39;s is definitely not one of them. While the concept is on the right path of immitating a natural roll of a foot during walking, it completely isolates all the muscles from actually pushing your body weight off the ground.

I would say out of all the barefoot type shoes on the market Vivo Barefoot by Terra Plana is the closest to wearing nothing at all and looking "socially-acceptable" at the same time

Oh, by the way, anyone who might be looking for a pair of Terra Plana&#39;s, www.endless.com has a special promo until Wednesday. Spend $100 and get $25 off the total price, ot spend $200 and get $50 off. Use coupon codes 25OFFHOL and 50OFFHOL respectively.

Kaizen Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

kam904s get Vibrams to use when you workout. I&#39;ve been running in them for almost a year now and they&#39;ve strengthened my feet. I&#39;m "flat footed" and I&#39;ve never had problems with these, I love them.