Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to ride my BIIIIIIICYCLE..... page

PixieKitten is offline Senior Member

I want to ride my BIIIIIIICYCLE.....

Shop Now
    Ok, so I decided a couple of months ago that I needed to start going out on my bike. Only, I hadn't been on my bike in about 3 years. So I got it out and dusted it off, and I've been going down to the stables ever sunday on it (about half a mile) for the last couple of months. In the last few weeks I've taken it on the 3 mile walk as well, but because I go with a friend who walks, I go at a walking speed so it doesn't do a whole lot. I've taken to riding the same trail in the week as well at a faster speed.

Today I rode it to work, which is just over a mile away, and I didn't get too knackered (The thing about me is I have got quite strong legs from walking and horse riding.. but apparently you use completely different muscles on the bike than on a horse... Go figure -_-) and heeeeere's the point I'm getting to!

I just emailed a place in Evesham about doing some voluntary work, only to get there.. I'd have to ride the bike... 17 and a half miles. I've never gone that far on a bike in one go in my life, and I'd have to do it again i nthe evening to get home. There's no buses that go near where I'd need to go and no one in my house drives.
    I was wondering if any of you lovely lovely people could help me figure out how to get bike-fit in a very short space of time without completely-over doing it? I'd love to buy an exercise bike so I could still cycle when I can't go out on my actual bike, but you know. Broke teenager trying to save up for a trip to Africa here.
    Any advice would be well appreciated!!
    Bunny trainer extraordinaire!

Captain Archer is offline Senior Member
    Alright how long of a time do you want to travel on the bike an hour? It's easy or should be easy to manage 17 miles in an hour on a bike.
    Here's what I would do back when I use to ride my bike... I would peddle hard and fast and let the bike go as far as it could without stopping.
    I would begin to peddle again at a slower pace to keep momentum. Thus causing the law of motion an object in motion stays in motion unless something causes it to stop.

If you want to spend eh 30 minutes on the bike to get 17 miles done, I am not sure what to give you for advice.
    I would just leave 30 minutes earlier and get there within an hour at 17 miles per hour on the bike.
    Sounds like a fast pace but on a bike versus running it's not really all that fast.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    just get on your bike and ride. depending on what type of bike you have 17 miles can be pretty tough, also depending on your speed it could take a couple hours to get there. you need to get used to being on your bike for that long of a time otherwise your butt and legs are going to be killing you

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    I've been commuting by bike to work (11 miles each way) for about 4 years. You have to build up to it, I did not start doing that overnight and even being in great shape, I have never done more than 4 times a week. I'm getting ready to brave 102F temps and high humidity for my uphill ride home. I don't think you can just start biking extremely long distances with no build up because something will get sore, like leg muscles or worse yet you will get sore knees for a sore bum from sitting that much. You also need to be handy with tools and know how to adjsut things on your bike. The difference between your seat being a half inch higher or lower can sometimes be a huge difference in comfort.

I will say though if the temps are moderate and the terrain is flat bike riding does not have to be that strenous on your leg muscles but still your knees and bum may get sore.

Try a few 5 mile rides, then build up to 10 mile rides, then perhaps bike to work and try leaving your bike there overnight and take it back the next day and then try to build up to back and forth in the same day. I can tell you though from being an experienced bike commuter, a 17 mile one way commute is extremely long distance, I know very few people that would do that more than two, perhaps three times per week. Even if you have a blistering fast bike, it is at least an hour each way. Check out bikeforums.net and the commuting subforum for more advice.

It's not about getting there as quick as I can Cpt Archer, just getting there, doing a lot of physical work while I'm there (they're expanding so there's a lot of work going on there!) and then getting back without completely dying O_o I don't want to push it into chronic cardio, but I dont want to be going mega slow either =/

I'll be on it as often as I can while I wait for a reply. I need to take my accident prone bunny to the vet tomorrow for a broken toe so I'll be biking over there with her in her case slung over my back XD

Captain Archer is offline Senior Member
    Oh as others have suggested you might want to also build up to 17 miles. If it was flat ground it would be easier, I didn't take into account that you could be going up hills and down hills. Since you say time is not an option I would try and travel at 5 to 6 miles per hour which is the average time most people can run at. While on a bike that shouldn't put you into chronic cardio going that fast, however because of the hills I would plan a 3 to 4 hour trip there and 3 to 4 hour trip back.

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    No, it's not reasonable. Sorry.
    It will hurt. A lot.
    Especially with physical work between the 35 miles of riding.

No driver to call in emergencies:
    What if you get a flat?
    What if the bike breaks?
    What if it gets dark?
    What if its thunder and lightning during the trip?

How 'near' does the bus get?
    It would be more realistic to walk 3 miles than ride 18.
    Is it a bike friendly bus? Bus + bike might work.
    Anywhere you could stash the bike nearer to the work location? friend or family?
    Bus to bike plus bike to work.

Roary is offline Senior Member
    35 miles is too far to attempt without some training. More info on terrain / bike would be helpful?

I agree that it's not reasonable to go ahead straight away, I was thinking more of a month or so of training.
    My dad is on his bike every day doing work and going out to do photography so I could call him if I had a problem. I asked last night and he said the most he does in one day is about 40 miles. But then he's been off on his bike for as long as I can remember.. I'd love to be as bike fit as him!
    The bus that goes to Evesham goes a helluva long way round, and long bus rides make me feel sick, and I'd like to be able to do without spending any more money! I just spent my last 30 on vet bills so I'd be stuck for buses anyway.
    I do have a lot of days that I'm working in august anyway, so it wouldn't be every day.
    I'm not going to pretend I know a lot about bikes.. All I could tell you about mine is it's purple O.o It's not like a BMX or a raciing bike.. It's your average everyday bike as far as I know!
    However the terrain would be road, and slightly hilly I think. I'm not good up long hills so I'd end up walking up those anyway for a while!

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    Set aside the issue of getting in good enough shape in a month to pedal 35 miles plus physical work in a day multiple times per week.

You're talking 6-8 HOURS of commute to do volunteer work.
    That would suck real fast if you were sitting in a luxury car with A/C and a great stereo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast