Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies... How do you lose the thighs?!? page 7

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Oh, my, the thighs! I am definitely a pear shape! Well, was ...

In the 80s and 90s, I was lean & strong up top, perfect upper body if you ask me. My legs were GREAT from mid-thigh all the way down, my waist was fab ... but butt and thighs, OH MY!

But I have always been really grateful, b/c all I needed to hide my problem areas were a good skirt just long enough to cover, or boot- or straight-cut pants (the tapered pants of the 80s & early 90s are NOT a good look for pears, same with 'skinny jeans'). People always thought I was 10 or 20lb less than I was. I was never smaller than a size 8, b/c the sizing is so dependent on thigh size, but my waist was always much smaller than that, and I always wore a S in dresses & shirts.

When I started getting out of control with bingeing on sugar, I started gaining in the middle. THAT has sucked hard. It is so unattractive, and so hard to cover and so hard to flatter. As I started losing it with PB, the middle has been the first to go. Interestingly, when I started hitting the sugar again this spring, but was still eating 98% PB, the weight went on th ebutt and thighs first. Interesting!

In the peak of my fitness, I was doing tons of lifting (cheerleading, squatting and throwing other girls in the air, along with serious weights) and stretching (very flexible) and leg lifts. The more I exercised the quads, the bigger they got, so I stopped doing squats and front leg lifts and switched to just working the sides and backs of my upper legs. I think it helped, but not sure. It certainly didn't take the fat off!

The silliest thing is that calipers would show me at 12-13% BF. Ridiculous. They just didn't measure the places I carried the most fat. Upper arm, belly, hip, and the one leg spot were just not my fattest places. It would have been interesting to get an underwater measurement back then.

I'd give just about anything to be back where my only fat was on my upper thighs again. Sigh!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post

Which one did you get, NDF?
    I ordered "Dancer's Body" for now. I'm interested in some of the straight Bar one's as well, but the title "Dancer's Body" totally lured me in. lol

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am not big on body weight excersises, they never done much for me. I am kind of a beliver that running doesn't give you a 'runner's body' and dancing doesn't give you a 'dancer's body', but people with that body type are naturally inclined to the excersise. I can't see myself turning into a light sylphide even if I starve myself.

My secret hope is to "pull Staci". My owrking hypothesis is that the more you shaped like a woman (or a prehistoric stone 'baba' of the steppes), the more manly the workouts have to be to overcome the female form's resistance and the propensity to store, store and store fat on the lower body in case you need to produce another 3 or so infants in the period of famine. But, so far I was unable to go under 18% BF and keep living. I am hoping with heavy lifting I could move closer to 15% and some fat will be sucked off the thighs.... But I just don't think I have the dedication of a bodybuilder. I give into sweets too easily & all that work & family thinggie tends to get in the way!
    Last edited by Leida; 08-02-2011 at 08:20 AM.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    But, so far I was unable to go under 18% BF and keep living. I am hoping with heavy lifting I could move closer to 15% and some fat will be sucked off the thighs.... But I just don't think I have the dedication of a bodybuilder. I give into sweets too easily & all that work & family thinggie tends to get in the way!
    Hitting 15% as a woman is difficult and rarely maintainable long term. Women are supposed to hold fat in certain places (ie lower body). The tendency for a woman's body to be "pear shaped" rather than "apple" or "banana" is a sign of good hormonal health/balance. Not only that, many women lose their periods(another sign of bad hormonal health) when they go below 18%BF - that is why even fitness models/competitors don't stay at stage or photo shoot ready year round. It's not healthy.

That being said, heavy lifting isn't the answer to lower body fat. The only thing that will help you achieve lower body fat is dieting. Heavy lifting will help you maintain any lean mass you have, but by itself it won't lower your body fat.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDF View Post
    Hitting 15% as a woman is difficult and rarely maintainable long term. Women are supposed to hold fat in certain places (ie lower body). The tendency for a woman's body to be "pear shaped" rather than "apple" or "banana" is a sign of good hormonal health/balance. Not only that, many women lose their periods(another sign of bad hormonal health) when they go below 18%BF - that is why even fitness models/competitors don't stay at stage or photo shoot ready year round. It's not healthy.

That being said, heavy lifting isn't the answer to lower body fat. The only thing that will help you achieve lower body fat is dieting. Heavy lifting will help you maintain any lean mass you have, but by itself it won't lower your body fat.
    I agree about the body fat percentage. However, heavy lifting can help you increase your lean muscle mass which will increase your metabolic rate. Increasing your metabolic rate will help with burning body fat.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    What kind of exercises do you do to help inner & outer thighs? I already do squats and while they're great for quads, Idk what to do for inner/outer.
    Georgette

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I agree about the body fat percentage. However, heavy lifting can help you increase your lean muscle mass which will increase your metabolic rate. Increasing your metabolic rate will help with burning body fat.
    This.
    Georgette

jens522 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    What kind of exercises do you do to help inner & outer thighs? I already do squats and while they're great for quads, Idk what to do for inner/outer.
    Lunges and deadlifts.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I did squats with feet turned out, like a plie, lifts with side of leg facing ceiling instead of top of leg, etc. Look up adductor and abductor exercises; there are many! Also, glut exercises made my fat butt better instead of fatter, unlike my quads, lol. Hamstring exercises, too.

Unfortunately, these are all isolated exercises, and I prefer whole body ones like squats, but squats and lunge *always* built up my thighs and never made them look slimmer.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jens522 View Post
    Lunges and deadlifts.
    I can do lunges. Almost put lunches lol. Do you have to have a bar to do deadlifts?
    Georgette

Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast