Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies... How do you lose the thighs?!? page 4

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Lookie:

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Yup! If you do it right, it really burns and your legs might shake, but you feel so good afterward. I think she's right about the endorphins, because I actually look forward to working out (and that is SO not like me, lol!)

Here's "thigh dancing" which is used in Bar Method. This clip is from Physique 57, which is related to Bar Method (they're both Lotte Berk spin-offs):

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    OK, this is really exciting me because it's a way to actually lengthen/elongate the leg muscles, thereby giving the appearance of longer, more slender legs. I'm only 5' 0" but am additionally cursed with short, chunky thighs (damned French blood--there's a reason they were the inventors of French-cut lingerie and bathing suits!).

@hazyjane: I'm much the same way with magical thinking. I KNOW that there is a way to hack the human body--a way to work smarter, not necessarily harder. I will def. have to check into the leptin thing as my belly is for sure my biggest problem area, having been insulin resistant for so long. I appreciate your willingness to n=1 and share the results.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

liza is offline Senior Member
    You really don't want to lose your thighs - how would you stand at all?

I say that because once upon a time a man I was with told me that he had never been with a woman who had muscles before. After a few seconds of thinking about what he said, I asked him how they had managed to stand up.

Fortunately for both of us, he laughed, and said he never really thought about that - we are still good friends.

When I was doing kettlebells on a regular basis, my thighs were really firm, but they were def. getting bigger. It's nice to have my jeans not fitting so snug in the thighs anymore. I think the stretching really makes a difference in muscle "lengthening". I make sure I really take my time while stretching. When you look at how ballet dancers have long muscles, think about all the time they spend stretching and extending them.

I think these exercises might be a good addition, also. They look easy, but they really tire your legs out! They're based on "deep muscle activation" which is also supposed to build more compact and long muscles.

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eelnus View Post
    Someone posted this on another thread, but seeing her before picture (thighs) really gave me hope because I'm also a pear shape. i think that heavy lifting and high intensity is key (crossfit)

Meet Staci: Your New Powerlifting Super Hero | Nerd Fitness
    That was an awesome, inspiring story!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Speaking as a personal trainer of 12 years:

I believe the bulkiness of muscles has more to do with muscle mass, genetics and carb loading than with stretching.

I am doing the same quad exercises I was doing pre-Primal (squats & dancing) and have less "bulk" now because I am lower carb (and lower body fat.)

I am actually stretching far less than I used to, as well (I taught a 45 min stretching class twice a week.)

Glycogen makes muscles look bulky. Fat makes thighs look bulky.

Stretching has very little to do with muscle bulk, IMO.

Female ballet dancers, for the most part, are using bodyweight only--they aren't adding extra weight like kettlebells to their routines (always exceptions to this rule, of course, but you won't find many female ballet dancers in the gym lifting heavy.)

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    That first exercise from the Bar Method is a total rip-off of Callan Pinckney’s Callanetics, lol. Though the hair is a little better. I used to do the same exercises, and they are effective. I just came to a point where I wanted more of a challenge, which is how I got into squat, lunges, etc.
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanctus Real View Post
    That first exercise from the Bar Method is a total rip-off of Callan Pinckney’s Callanetics, lol. Though the hair is a little better. I used to do the same exercises, and they are effective. I just came to a point where I wanted more of a challenge, which is how I got into squat, lunges, etc.
    That "Callanetics" dvd is still one of the best work outs I have ever done! Years ago I loaned it to a friend.....she did the whole workout beginning to end and was super peeved at me because she could hardly walk for almost two weeks she was so sore! She still brings that up every now an again

I have the dvd now and am determined to start doing it again. Nothing works your rear and thighs like she does.

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast