Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast

Thread: Ladies... How do you lose the thighs?!? page 34

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Shop Now
    I can gain up to 5 lbs and hold it for a week and a half if my hormones are at the right stage in the month...some months are worse than others, and I do think we all need to take perimenopause into account at our ages! (I'm 35). Also, I think there is just a mental satisfaction of seeing those low numbers on the scale---low numbers mean I can look in the mirror and like what I see...higher numbers and I hate the mirror. I really dont think I truly fluctuate all that much in appearance, but the brain is quite powerful! My lowest was around 118 and it felt like a drug to me...I could see myself trying to see how LOW my body would actually go. I couldnt fight the hunger and managed to settle my IBS and now am sitting around 137. 138 is my post-pregnancy weight, for the most part. I actually think I look just peachy so I'm happy about that. I have boobs at this weight and look great in a lower cut top or dress! Also...I have absolutely been eating more carbs and I have way more energy and feel tons stronger while doing workouts---that has to do something for your self-esteem and being able to look at yourself differently in the mirror. When we are all old ladies, we will be thankful to have maintained STRONG bodies as opposed to tiny frail ones! You are beautiful Leida---I know it without having seen you!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    No, I've eaten all levels of carbs over the last 8 years, and all levels make me bloat.

My water retention doesn't coordinate with time of the month, and it's very obvious when it goes up. I can't see my ribs, my belly goes from flat to looking 6 months pregnant, waist fills in, and my pants don't fit. But then a week later, if I remove all carbs, it's gone. It's very frustrating, but more because I know it's indicative of an underlying health problem tha because of the appearance.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

aussielady954 is offline Junior Member
    I agree with others, give it time; sit in sauna or just keep excercising; eat plenty of green vegetables with fat/oil, some vinegar. genetics can play a part. regards.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    and trying the potato really made for a bad experience afterwards.
    You mentioned it was green though right? I always thought you werent suppose to eat those. Here is a little bit at Livestrong, if that is accurate.

Can You Eat Green Skins On Potatoes? | LIVESTRONG.COM

Warning

Because green potato skins indicate a stressed potato, it is best to avoid eating the skin altogether. If the flesh of your potato is also green it is best to discard it. When you are shopping in the market, carefully examine a potato before you buy it and avoid any potatoes with green skin. If you become sick after eating a potato skin and your symptoms include fever, nausea and vomiting, abdominal cramps and diarrhea you may be suffering from solaine poisoning. Your symptoms will probably improve within a few hours, but if they persist call your health care provider.

OH snopes said so also, so it must be true

65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    RIght now, I"m finding that anything other than meat, fish, & fat makes me swell & bloat. I don't know why. My thigh goes up and down an inch within a week, just as one example, if I eat carbs in any small amount for a few days, then eliminate again.
    Dang.

You know, I find it fascinating that I weigh less now than I have for most of my adult life, and yet my body composition is almost the same as it was when I was a good 10 pounds heavier. (I'm 42.) I was awesomely primal/paleo back in fall 2011 and got within a pound of my goal weight, and then I crashed and burned (got scared of my cholesterol numbers) and went back to SAD. I've flirted with primal/paleo a number of times since then, but nothing serious. That changed earlier this month. I've been very good about being grain free for a week and eating cleaner overall. I still have to cut my ties with Haagen Daz (vanilla bean and chocolate-chocolate chip), which I will do effective December 31.

Anyway...the point I was going to make is that when I was really, really good for four months of primal/paleo, with the final month of Whole 30, I wound up seeing massive changes in my body comp. Lost in my thighs, which (along with my butt and hips) are the hardest places for me to lose.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    My water retention doesn't coordinate with time of the month, and it's very obvious when it goes up. I can't see my ribs, my belly goes from flat to looking 6 months pregnant, waist fills in, and my pants don't fit. But then a week later, if I remove all carbs, it's gone. It's very frustrating, but more because I know it's indicative of an underlying health problem tha because of the appearance.
    Yukes! I am keeping fingers crossed that you are reacting to one particular group you like eating and you can pin-point it. I do bloat up, but it is really bad only occasionally. Like with the potatoes.

Speaking of which, yep, Gopintos, I am pretty sure it was the green on the potatoes that I have missed that I reacted to. Like I said, I peeled the green for the salad I made for X-mas, and we were just fine. I will buy different tators after we are back from Cuba for the potato fast I want to do for a few days. I knew it for years too, I just did not clean it off well enough. Normally it is just one or two tators, but this batch they are pretty much all like that, hence I think the problem.

@Solstice: Thank you Yep, I have experienced the same feeling of accomplishment seeing the low numbers on the scale (my lowest was 113). I am trying to see what I like and do not like at being at a higher weight at this moment. Because, frankly, I basically don't think I will be able to 'power through' it another time, so I think it will be my 3rd or 4th try to let my body take the lead.

Yes, I have read that the slightly overweight women actually are healthier and live longer, so, yes, being slightly overweight pays off when you grow old. Menopause scares me a huge deal. I know I need to read about it, but I am terrified.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

violetta59 is offline Junior Member
    Nice!!! Remember that when you're feeling badly - he likes the way you look naked.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Yes, I have read that the slightly overweight women actually are healthier and live longer, so, yes, being slightly overweight pays off when you grow old. Menopause scares me a huge deal. I know I need to read about it, but I am terrified.
    Perimenopause (where things are changing but the cycles have not ceased) lasted in me over several years - partly because (I think) I was still not only eating SAD, but lots of "healthy whole grains." I have gone through enormous changes (careers, incomes, job roles/responsibilities) in the same years since the whole change began, so I can't honestly say menopause is responsible for anything in particular. But I don't miss the cycles .

What I can firmly say is I feel better than I ever have - seriously, I turned 62 yesterday and I FEEL BETTER THAN I HAVE MY ENTIRE LIFE!! I am steadier, and the body recomposition is proceeding slowly, including on my saddlebag thighs, even without exercise ... and doing better, of course, with some exercise. For me, nutritional ketosis (NK) is the key. Obviously, we've established it isn't the key for everyone, but I suspect everyone has a diet/lifestyle that is the key for them ... the hard part is finding it (and realizing the difference when you slip, and coming back "home").

Hang in there, everyone - it is NEVER too late to improve. My Dad's still ticking along at 102 - so I am confident I have another 40 years at least to keep getting better. You can, too.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I think I am hiding behind the Seasonale myself. I hope to get my hubby to do the surgery if possible this summer and get off the bcp for the rest of my life. Then I will actually have an idea where my natural place is in the fertility land.

I did try ketosis and I am one of the people for whom it is decidedly not an answer. Then again, I am also one of the people for whom fitness is one of the pleasures of life rather than a chore, so I figure there is a connection. My mom was extremely complimentary of me yesterday about how I adhere to fitness (which made me feel ridiculously pleased). We actually had a fantastic 3-generation experience on the climbing wall, I taught mom a little and she took a class on belaying and we all took turns climbing, my mom, my daughter, and, finally myself - I belay a LOT with a 6 yo, and never really get to climb, lol. It was such fun and I was in return proud of mom for being so easy on the uptake.

My fitness research update:

Lifting: I feel just how efficient Max/Failure lifts are, but I do struggle with the littl' worm of 'need to add more!' I keep trying to remember though just how wiped out I was every evening after doing my Max/Failures. I am also really liking the idea of jumping rope between sets even if it increases the rest times - it does help with preventing DOMs. (It's fun too, lol)

Aquatic cardio vs dry-land: not much this week, due to scheduling. I did go skiing though and will go skating today & had one play in the pool rather than a swim. Not sure if cold exposure was in effect, but I will do better once I am back.

Tomorrow we are going to Cuba, so that should be a week of swimming in warm water, running and walking the beach and I am packing along a Simple Fit Schedule because it will give structure to my already in place plan of pull-ups, push-ups and squats - or lunges. I did not decide yet, but in all likelihood, I would go with lunges, since imo with BW they are better than squats for the whole leg development.

Another thing I plan for vacations is sleeping. Gods, I sleep lately like I am trying to catch up for a lifetime or something.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

bosley_lester is offline Junior Member
    I run and bike everyday for around 2 hours. I believe it trim it down a bit.

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast