Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies... How do you lose the thighs?!? page 33

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Yeah... you know, I don't feel like a failure when I eat a piece of junkfood that makes me bloat and stalls weightloss. If you are having issues with your diet making you ill, you really need to disengage the emotional connection with food. I wonder if part of why fruit makes you feel badly is because you are stressed because you ate fruit.
    Leida, can you ever just enjoy food? Like dig into an awesome meal, free from nagging doubts? I can honestly tell you that until a few months ago, I could not just eat without the mental "this will make fat" calculator. In the past few months, I've been set free from that. Feels good and a lot of foods that used to "make me sick" don't anymore.
    Leida, I hope at some point you either acheive success in getting to a low body fat% OR find happiness with your slim body and health and find a wy to enjoy food.
    I do feel like a failure when I eat something that makes me feel horrible. Briefly. But less so as the truth that it is the result of a bizarre misdirected food craving slowly seeps into my heart. I'm emphatic, though, that this has nothing to do with the Oprah-emotional-eating thing everyone thinks it does. I've never been an emotional eater, yet I have all the problems so-called emotional eaters have. I think it's either coincidence or merely correlation that most overeaters are also emotional eaters.

I don't ever really enjoy meals like I used to, because right now i'm at a place where I get ill effects from eating anything other than meat, fish, & fat. It's absurd. But it's my reality, just as you cannot eat shellfish without ill (an understatement, I know!) effects. If I eat something else, I feel terrible, or know I will soon, and yeah, it detracts from enjoyment. The food I eat is very tasty, and I do enjoy it, but I don't always enjoy it. So I don't know that that means there is any disorder here, just the reality of a very limited diet, and the fact that it sucks. I think that in Leida, if she has a body image problem, it may be coincidence or correlation with her cravings & any possible issue with food enjoyment, and not necessarily cause/effect.

I agree with your good wishes for her!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Consider having some lab work done to find out if you are estrogen dominant. If you are over 35, you probably are. Stress will make it worse, so don't do IF or restrict a ton, or do a lot of cardio. Make sure you eat enough. I've found milk helpful because of the calcium; also, coconut oil. Progesterone, not estrogen, etc............ Also, to absorb the calcium in dairy you need vitamin D, so you need to either go outside, or take vit D3 supplements.

Referring to cravings, or to thighs? I am actually very low in estrogen, but the P:E ratio is too E-heavy. I've had both problems since I was a teenager.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    So far, I continue to gain weigh, up to 132 lbs almost (131.7 lbs) from 127.4 lbs on Saturday despite staying active and not overeating. I had a few pieces of home made candy (pate de fruit and brittle) every day, but I have a hard time believing that I managed 10,000+ calories of overeating from those extra sweets. All other food was stellar. I had been active every day, maintaining lifting regimen, skiing, swimming and playing. I do not know if any of it is muscle gains. My lifting targets muscle gain, but I doubt I can gain much muscle in 5 days and 2 or 3 lifting sessions either.

I am gonna be maintaining whole foods style cleanliness of food (basically did it yesterday with the exception of 1 and 1/2 of a Belgian chocolate candy: 2 eggs+ zucchini/mushrooms fried on a coat of drippings + 1 tbsp of almond butter; ~ 1.5 cup of soup from leftover pork, black beans, kale and yellow peppers w turkey bone broth + 1 tbsp of almond butter for lunch; Russian potato salad w home made mayo + 2 Broiled Paleo Meatballs (1/4 cup each before cooking) + 1/4 cup coconut milk + 1 apple + ~ 12 cashews and wallnuts), try to buy only fruit that is fast to serve to my folks and replace the family supply of fruit from tempting apples & grapefruits with oranges/mandarin oranges.

I am not sure if I will be weighing myself till the end of January or ever, I really do not know if I want to know any more the rate of my degradation. Or if it is degradation. In fact, I am very lost at the moment and don't know what's right and what's wrong and why my body is acting the way it is acting. The only thing I know at the moment is that I really like my current fitness regimen. It feels just right. I feel muscle work, I feel the recovery bounce back. And I did not hurt my wrist for the 3 max/failure sessions in the row. I am also quite impressed by my ability to do 7 sets of TGU with 10 lbs KB during the support work. But it feels pointless whenever i look in the mirror.

In all likelihood by the end of January I will end up where I have started 3+ years back, at 150-155 lbs and all my journey through the nutritional and fitness wonderland will yield no result apart from me knowing how to perform the 5 basic lifts at a squatting rack and a bunch of other interesting ways to challenge the muscle to no useful end. I also have "knowledge" of murky and contradictory nutritional dogmas, a handful of 'super' foods Primal/Paleo style, like coconut oil, and various afflictions that I never knew existed, like 'leaky gut' and 'fructose mal-absorption'.

I still have no answers. None at all. To use Matrix allusion, right now my truth is that there is no spoon.
    Last edited by Leida; 12-27-2012 at 08:15 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Leida, I occasionally gain up to 6lb in a day, and it is *not* fat gain. It's usually a very well distributed water weight, across my whole leg especially, but also some in the gut & arm. No noticeable pitting, but all the measurements go up, and it usually takes at least a week to go away. For me, I clearly have some food intolerance I don't yet know about. I know I can avoid it entirely by eating only fish, meat, & fat, but I also know that's not a long-term solution.

Just a few days of sweet potatoes & berries will make me gain at least 3lb of water weight, and that's mild compared to when it's big like I just described.

Yes, that would have been a good explanation if my weight was steady and then I suddenly put in a few pounds on after eating a sweet potato or a pickle. I understand this process very well, since I have been through it numerous times on the Ultimate and 4-Hour body.

I think it is something different though, in the past month or two since I stopped the last Ultimate Diet attempt, I went from 122 lbs to 132 lbs steadily. I ate well, was not counting and not limiting tubers and fruit. It seems to keep accumulating.

I think maybe it is some sort of fat re-acquisition that will not stop until the body gets back to the post-pregnancy weight that it remembers so fondly\. Basically I am almost sure that it will make me hungry till I get there. It appears that 30 something years of sitting around 120-125 pounds is easily abandoned after the body gets a taste for a couple of years of a higher weight.

It's kindda interesting, but still a bit sad.
    Last edited by Leida; 12-27-2012 at 10:34 AM.

You talked about rapid gain in the last few days that is clearly not a fat gain, as you illustrated with the calories you posted would be necessary for that to have happened.

When *I* eat tubers & fruit, I swell and eventually gain fat, and then swell some more. Any rapid gains are almost certainly not fat, even if the general 10lb trend you've experienced is also partly fat.

HOpe you find some solutions!

Thank you.

Are you trying to reduce fructose as well? That is my working hypothesis for now. Do you react like this to all tubers? I think that turnips, jikama and radishes are Okay with me, and I am not sure about carrots and beets (I think they are Okay, but I have never eaten them in a quantity comparable to potatoes and sweet potatoes).

RIght now, I"m finding that anything other than meat, fish, & fat makes me swell & bloat. I don't know why. My thigh goes up and down an inch within a week, just as one example, if I eat carbs in any small amount for a few days, then eliminate again. I don't know if it's fructose, FODMAPs, nightshades, fruits, vegetables, fibers, or WHAT. I've tried eliminating those one at a time, in groups, and all at once, and the only thing that works is all at once. I hope to hold a baseline of no water or bloating for a few months, then add just sweet potatoes. Then if that works, add just well-cooked greens. If that works, add some berries, maybe. Then I'll make a plan from there.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have been experiencing the same digestion unrest after I did the VLC stretch, and trying the potato really made for a bad experience afterwards. Did you increased intake of carbohydrates as well after a near zero carb intake? If so, it will eventually pass, well, at least for me. (Thanks goodness!)

Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast