Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies... How do you lose the thighs?!? page 30

Jennifla is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I am 5' 7'' and 171 pounds, down from 208 in the last 24 months. My pre-baby weight was 183. I had always worn size 14-18 and am now in a 10. I could be completely happy if I stayed at this weight as long as I continue to have good skin, good moods, and no joint pain. While I do watch my weight and look forward to the scale (I dipped below 170 last week), my main focus is improving performance...working on unassisted pullups and running longer distances. I don't have a goal weight, because I just don't know what's possible, nor do I want weight loss to be a high-priority goal for me. And I refuse to go hungry. Hunger makes me cranky. I still want to pay attention to what is working for other women. Some of the after photos on this board (of women older than I) are truly inspirational. My thighs are 25''. I don't know what they were 2 years ago, but they look much better in shorts now, which is year-round attire here.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    That's awesome Jennifla.

I only know my weight because I went to the doctor for immigration. I just assume I weigh the same going forward because of how my pants fit.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    A few points:

-if you weigh more, but have the same BF% as someone who weigh less, you are ahead in the game, because that means you carry less fat. Where looks are concerned it's BF% that counts, not sheer mass.
    -I do like the 'skinny fat' or 'over fat but not overweight' definitions because that drive the nail on the head in terms of the fitness/looks goals. It highlights the difference between what most people actually want: tight/firm/defined and what they think they want - lower weight.

I can't hammer this point enough - weight is only meaningful if you understand the correlation between fat/muscle ratio accumulation and loss when you gain and lose weight using a particular combination of a dietary macros and exercise regimen.

Going back to macros, I do believe that macros impact hunger and craving a huge deal, but there are some ingrained psychological dependencies that cannot be overcome by the best nutrition. I have tried every ration and approach under the sun, from <25 g carb a day to 70-80% carb and basically no fat. Everything in between, save for vegan versions.

And yet, I have never in my life, for a single day or hour in a day stopped craving fruit. Everything else I dropped and stayed away from for months and even years with no consequences: coffee, pastries, bread, grains, legumes, dairy, nuts & nut butters... you name it, I lived without it. I do experience a fleeting desire to get a candies or a cookies if they are in the house, but it is fleeting and easy to shrug away on most occasions. I can make them, serve and stash without problems. I have over-ate before of the normal domino foods: cheese and nuts, and in my pre-whole foods, post-pregnancy life I normally had a small bag of cherry twizzers every afternoon and a pastry or two with supper. Having dessert after supper was a norm through my entire life, normally tea with my grandma's jam. I don't overeat any of it now, and rarely make jam. When I have jam, I do want jam & will likely overeat it once I dig into the jar. Fruit is different. I have a gut-wrenching feeling every night I cut the fruit plate and cannot eat fruit, and when I eat fruit, the serving size of ~ 1 cup which is recommended doze a day is interpreted by my desire-stimulated brain as far too small. I am drawn to it, even if I hide it in the pantry. And, again, desire keeps telling me 'not enough, too small', I would eat about 3 to 4 cups of fruit (2 to 3 fruit the size of a medium apple). Save for jam, there is no other food that impacts me that way. It is a problem of desire compounded with emotional response (vacations/summer association), conditioning throughout childhood (shortage and no variety of fruit then abundance in season), ingrained, deep-seated belief that fruit is not a bad food (there is always this doubt that maybe there is benefit to eating fruit save for pleasure), and sugar/serotonin pleasure centers stimulation response.

The longest I went without fruit was 40 days. And I did not stop wanting it. Not really. I eventually got deeply depressed and dove into the fruit bowl.

I would like to try self-hypnosis to start hating fruit, but even there I encounter psychological barriers. I am going to see a holistic practitioner next year and see if something like acupuncture can be helpful.

///

I think I am settling into higher weight, but still no results from the new fitness regimen that I can easily identify. The weight is ~ 128 -130 lbs, up from 122-124 lbs, and muscle mass is 101-102 lbs, vs 100-101 lbs. So, confirms 25% muscle to fat ratio of gain.

Max/Failure workouts resonate hard on the body with DOMs for 1-2 consequent days. I do not feel like I am under-lifting. With teh form corrections from the trainer and weight gain, my deadlift is down (a LOT), my Overhead press/Push-press slightly better, bench - slightly better, and squat/BBR pretty much unchanged.

Swimming with the 4-hour body recommendations is drastically improved for distance kroll (34 min yesterday, and would have done 40 easily if the pool did not close for classes).

Breathing is still problematic with extra weight.
    Last edited by Leida; 12-20-2012 at 05:43 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    And yet, I have never in my life, for a single day or hour in a day stopped craving fruit.
    I can't remember, is there a reason you can't just eat the fruit? I hardly ate fruit before I started trying to lose weight. (except when I was young and wanted to lose weight before my wedding. I only ate oranges that I can remember and dropped down to like 118 or something) Anyways, I bought fruit, it was my motherly duty to provide it, but it just went to waste. Then I started dieting CW style at the first of the year and actually started eating it. Then went LC and that was a good place to cut alot of carbs at one time.

Now, I have been adding it back in. I really do feel better. 2-4 servings per day. About 1lb of fruit each day. (per perfect health diet) There are some days that are naturally Lower carb with Higher fat though also, but I found that sometimes, like this morning, I was just not going to be happy until I had some fruit. And so I did. And now I can get on with my day. And for some reason, coffee w/cream after fruit (usually fruit with yogurt) just signifies to my brain, I am done. That was good and now drinking this, I am done.

I wish morning coffee had the same effect, then I wouldn't need to eat the rest of the day So I know it is all mental, kind of like coffee after dessert I guess.

Anyways, I don't know that I like the word "allow" but I know that each day, I want an apple, a banana, a serving of blueberries, and sometimes even a grapefruit or orange. Those are my limits. That is what I keep in the house. When I reach my max, I am done. Just like a bank account. I don't want to be overdrawn. So I know I can have those, and only those and after I have those, that's it, I am done.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Did you try coffee with lemon juice? I find it very good.

It is not that I do not want to eat fruit at all, it is that I have blood sugar issues and having less is much better for me than having more - it increases appetite, causes stuff like shakes, makes me feel cold, gets mood swings. I know that because I felt very different with no sugar at all (but unlimited veggies carbohydrates (just no sweet potatoes, carrots kindda thing)) for those 40 days. Physically I was unstoppable. So it is either just pure sugar or fructose.

I just would love to be like the people who can have it or leave it and say that I 'just don't have any cravings for sweets' like Paleobird or sbhikes..... Right now I am down to the idea of having fruits for supper (fat+protein for breakfast, unlimted veggies and meat for lunch and fruit with almond butter for supper). I am out of all other ideas.

Interestingly, banana is one fruit I don't like, unless it is a sweetener in the smoothie with a lot of berries and lemon. I like sourer fruit with tons of juice to them, like granny smith apples, grapefruits, all berries, pomegranates, plums though I also love mangoes, peaches, pineapples, melons... dunno if you would call them sour? & I even love lemons and limes!!! I actually have to admit to chewing on some of the lemon after squeezing it into my 'Mater Cleanse lemonade' (and NO, I am NOT doing MC diet, just using lemonade to keep hunger pangs down) or tea.
    Last edited by Leida; 12-20-2012 at 07:29 AM.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Leida,
    Why are you convinced that 3-4 cups of fruit a day is "bad" for you? Most healthy people eat a healthy amount of fruit. It is part of a healthy diet. Even diabetics can have fruit.

If eating fruit is making you feel awful, have you considered perhaps a medical issue? Allergy or something? Everyone that has a healthy body should be able to have fruit several times a day with no ill effect. I can't vouch for weightloss, but eating a banana should not be making you feel like shit, unless you have something very wrong going on.

when I eat fruit, the serving size of ~ 1 cup which is recommended doze a day is interpreted by my desire-stimulated brain as far too small. I am drawn to it, even if I hide it in the pantry. And, again, desire keeps telling me 'not enough, too small', I would eat about 3 to 4 cups of fruit (2 to 3 fruit the size of a medium apple).
    The recommended amount of fruit in a day is usually 2-3 servings, not one.

My other thought- and I am sure you tried this- but are you by chance reacting to pesticides on the fruit? (With the illness, not the cravings).

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

I am thinking it is some sort of a fructose problem, because it looks like the problems are triggered by fruits and vegetables containing over 5 g of fructose (I was watching it when I was eliminating sugar on Whole 30) & I had shakes reaction 2 or 3 times after consistently eating sugars and fruit - the shakes were caused by higher consumption of sugar (say fruit every day and some chocolates/icing this weekend when decorating gingerbread houses, or after eating gelato in September after having a fruit for breakfast). But the trouble is it makes me feel unwell, but I can't stop at one cup. I think a healthy person should be able to, no? Just have half an apple, sigh contentedly and not feel like the world is an unfair and dark place 'cause I can't have two more?

I eat for the most part organic fruit (apples) or fruit that needs peeling (grapefruits and such). Since I get the same reaction from sweet potatoes that generally are not a 'dirty crop', I think it is fructose. I also break out after consuming like 2 tbsp of honey.

One cup was recommended for people with sugar issues, like me, by Hydman (he is a nutritionist I trust the most as he was the one who really pinpointed the diet that works the best for me I think) in his latest book specifically on Blood Sugar and di-abesity (Blood Sugar Solution).

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I dunno, I'd get to a doctor and see if you can't ferret out the cause. Some of this stuff is no big deal when you are young and can kind of eat around the issue, but as you age, those kind of issues could complicate things. I'm all for eating our way to health, but when healthy foods do bad things to you, it's time to bring in an MD or at least someone who can make sure your systems are functioning properly.

Like I said, it may not be a big medical problem today if you can control your bloodsugar by diet alone, but if it is so sensitive that a small amount of fructose is bad, what if it gets worse or one day your family finds you in a coma? I know the shakes feeling of which you speak, but it took me a bag of snickers to acheive it, not a jumbo fruit salad.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Oh, I agree with you, but so far I just got high sugar reading once, and they did a fasting test after that, and it came negative. So that was the end of it as far as the traditional medicine is concerned. That is actually the main reason I want to speak to a holistic practitioner/acupuncturist. I doubt I have anything life-threatening or serious, but if there is some imbalance, I think it might be helpful. (Shrug) for now I am trying to stick to minimizing sweets consumption the best I can without going bananas (pardon the pun!)

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Are you trying the potato diet Leida?

I am sure you are doing the right thing to restrict fruit. It's a very individual thing. Fructose intolerance for one reason or another is pretty common, and female instinct is time and time again proven to be spot on. That's not to say that a few pieces of fruit a day are harmful for everyone.

I do appreciate where you are coming from. I suspect that you might be better off following a CW-style female body-building regimen eating little and often and treating your body to a lot more homeostasis.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast