Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies... How do you lose the thighs?!? page 26

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I have a lot of respect for you Leida, along with some concern. I feel that you are a very intelligent lady.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Ditto that.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Eating 3 eggs and 1/2 cup of egg white and 1 tbsp of coconut oil did not fix anything for me, so might as well have apple and yogurt, i figure.

Of course, i tried it a few times before, and it never worked out too, lol.
    FWIW, it takes anywhere from 1/2lb to 1lb+ of solid meat or meat/fish combo, and always 2T of CO or animal fat, to get food cravings to go away for me. An apple after that, sure. An apple & yogurt instead of that is a recipe for disaster for me. Cravings all day, binge in the afternoon. Or the next one.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Interesting pondering the lipoedema. You can see in my avatar that my arms & upper body are very trim (when not bloated). But my thighs, as I said, just got back down to 23" today for the first time in6 months, and the first time in 8 years before that, and I have fat from there clear down to my knees. The fat over my knee is gross. First stage? Maybe. I've had disproportionate thighs since I was a teenager, and same for my mother & both sisters & grandmother & great-grandmother.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for the concern, folks, and for kinb words, really appreciate it! To be honest, I think I am derived from that good peasant stock and that core is what keeps me walking the middle line, so whenever I swing to the extremes, it returns me back.

Diet wise, I think if you tried hard and the high fat solution is not doing it for you, pushing it causes harm. Protein though seem to be a HUGE deal. I dunno, I don't have much cravings for anything but fruit, and since I decided that I will just eat, getting hungrier doesn't bother me. In fact, I think that part of the hunger when choices are too limited are because of the conflict in the brain due to not enough permission to eat the 'forbidden' foods. My feeling is unless you do want subaverage BF%, eating the balance of some fat, high protein and unlimited clean carbs following the desire is not a bad way to go. I have been orgaz-ming on salads for 2 days in a row, a big bowl of greens, with herbs, broccoli slaw, radishes and avocado and a top-up with ham and liver... I felt like I have never eaten anything better. Until I finished it off with a grapefruit, yum.

The VLC did me a disservice. I dunno, eating every 3-5 hours or so doesn't seem like a great tragedy to me to be honest if all the food is good and clean, compared to weighing every celery stick and avoiding eating veggies. I am giving up the pursuit of eating only once or twice a day or limiting carbs. For now I am not counting anything either. I will wait till I get the next bout of 'wanna lose weight SOOOOO badly' for that, lol.

@MamaGrok: just watch for the pain. It seems that what distinguishes lipodemia from the simple preferential fat deposition is very pronounced pain.

///

Curtsy Lunges - I am sorry we got derailed more into the dieting side. Curtsy lunges in my books have a strike against them because they are hard to get the proper form on. Being a clumsy inflexible woman, I prefer as simple form as possible. Being a If you can do them well, I would sure go for them, and any other lunges and split squats for the lower leg training as well as for step-ups, side steps and side lunge and row. They are all good and functional.

However, when you do other heavy lifting, and plenty of other stuff, your inner/outer thighs, aka stabilizers get a workout for free. Squatting on BOSU is one of my favs now for giving my inner thighs something to think about, and they double as a heck of a stretch.

Anyway, I am trying to keep fair and square on my minimizing the # of exercises performed per workout program & will stick to it for a couple of month before trying more. I have read plenty about too many different things reducing an overall effect.

Today I am ice skating outdoors for my lunch break, and swimming. Last time I swam, my tricep & shoulder were *hurting* - am still feeling it. So, while I am going to give a shot to 38-40 min front kroll, I might leave the pool defeated!

Friday will be the first time I am lifting Max/Failure for the Bench, I am so curious to see if I can push 92 lbs bench. I have been salivating over 95 lbs, the first serious plate FOREVAR, and if I can lift 92, I will try 95 next. Which makes me wonder if a swim this afternoon is a good plan, or should I recover the arms more. Decisions, decisions.
    Last edited by Leida; 12-13-2012 at 06:01 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Thanks for the note on the pain - important to know!

Y'all lunge away - back when I was super fit, and I got my legs super strong with gobs of squats, lunges, ad/abductor leg lifts, having more muscle just meant more size! For me, that is. I had all the fat AND all the muscle. More power to anyone who finds success with spot reducing!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't look at it as spot-reducing, which is not a valid expectation. It is more of finding a strategy for mind, body and mouth, and achieve the best possible result with minimum required efforts. I am very fond of Ferris' concept (20% efforts giving 80% of the desired result), however, I think that nutrition, diet and psychological strategy is highly individual. The ideal is a plan that is there but invisible, simple and does not interfere or gods forbid replace life. While a degree of change is expected, going with the nature and natural inclinations maybe a good idea, rather than being drastically against the natural tendency. For a while I thought that the less natural/appealing the approach is, the more successful it will be since it is so drastic. But my experience with the high fat VLC was very much against this idea. Too bad. In a way Primal plays a lot with drastically changing things, calling black white etc.
    Last edited by Leida; 12-13-2012 at 09:12 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    ...unlimited clean carbs following the desire is not a bad way to go. ....weighing every celery stick and avoiding eating veggies. I am giving up the pursuit of eating only once or twice a day or limiting carbs.
    I started to post this earlier, and then I dont think I did, so forgive me if I did here already. (it has been a long day already) Anyways, PHD's philsophy is do not count the low calorie vegetable, their calories nor their carbs. Eat them unlimited. They only provide enough glucose for their own digestion.

That frees up more room for fruits and starches. He has a weight loss formula, which is slightly different than maintenance where he likes more fat.

I do try to eat a 16/8 but within my window I probably eat 2-5 times. Kind of depends on what I eat & my activity. Then some days, like when my day starts at 3am, I might want something sooner. The frequency within my window might change later once I reach my goal and add a bit more fat back in.

The new release is good. It has info that was not in the first book.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I never really did VLC, so I have no clue about it. I suppose I just would casually follow things and see if they work.

And then I do what works.

In terms of thighs, I mostly do squatting positions and lunges in yoga, which tend to work things just fine if you do the muscle work of it properly.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    That's not what I read Leida reporting. I got the impression she was averaging around 1500-1700 calories a day while being very active.

I would certainly agree that 1000 calories a day chronically is way too low for someone of Leida's height and weight.
    Less than 1000 is what I saw on her journal page. She goes sub-1000 for a few days, then eats around 2000+ for one day. Seems like a really disordered way to treat yourself.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Less than 1000 is what I saw on her journal page. She goes sub-1000 for a few days, then eats around 2000+ for one day. Seems like a really disordered way to treat yourself.
    No she doesn't, and Leida has confirmed that. Perhaps you are projecting something?
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast