Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies... How do you lose the thighs?!? page 21

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I am kindda surprised. While some of these pictures sure look like abnormality to me, this one that is exactly how I look like, I can't believe someone would call it a desease. Am I suppose to believe that I am sick?

Cure Lipedema — Lipedema
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    I was surprised too, I always just thought I was pear shaped until I ran across the thread here on MDA. I had never even heard of lipedema before. I'm still not sure that's what it is, but it certainly seems like it.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Lipedema is more than just fatter-than-average thighs. It also involves pain in the legs and tends to be fat distributed over the thighs and lower legs. If your lower legs are not fat, you don't have pain, and your thighs are simply a little disproportionate, chances are you just have a predisposition to store more fat on your thighs. Lots of people are not perfectly proportioned without it being a disorder.

Honestly, not everything is about a disease state. Lipedema is a very real condition and can be quite serious, but it's not the same thing as chubby thighs and self-diagnosis in this case is pretty ridiculous. If you really think you have it, I suggest consulting a doctor rather than a bunch of websites with photos that may or may not be actual lipedema cases and in some cases very questionable medical credibility and/or a motive to sell cosmetic surgery and other services.

We're not all built like the fit model used to make clothes and it's silly to expect everything off the rack to automatically fit every person. Having trouble buying pants doesn't mean you're deformed; it just means that the pants aren't cut right for your figure. That's what alterationists are for.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Leida is offline Senior Member
    That's what I was trying to say, just did not word it properly. Some of these pics are very misleading. Heh, assume healthy until proven sick.
    Last edited by Leida; 11-29-2012 at 01:05 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Leida, I figured you were saying the same thing I was

I saw that same picture the other day, and honestly, my thighs look a bit like that too, but that looks like a lot of the women I see at the pool or the gym. My fat doesn't hurt, and I do lose fat off my thighs, it's just more slow there than in other places. Also, part of what makes my thighs big is the size of the muscles. Even when I was a skinny teen with an eating disorder and dangerously low body fat, I still had solid thighs but with almost no fat on them.

I don't have a disorder; I just have a tendency to store fat on my upper thighs and build solid muscle in my legs. Genetics are like that.

I used to know a woman with lipedema, and it was very, very different from fat legs.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I have big huge legs. It is hard to find pants that fit. It hurts like hell to get a massage on my legs. But I don't think I have lipedema.

I honestly think at some point we women have to stop criticizing ourselves and just take a seam ripper to our jeans and fix them. It's the manufacturer's fault, not ours.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm ... I feel we should agree to celebrate our womanly thighs as opposed to obsessing about losing them.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Amen, sisters. I am not built like a teenage girl. Why should my pants be built that way?

Honestly, when guys try on pants and they don't fit, they generally just go find another pair that does or they go to a tailor and have them taken in. Why do we place so much of our self-worth on whether a given pair of pants is cut right for our bodies?

Owly's Journal

jacmac is offline Senior Member
    I so agree Owly, I could not have said it better!

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I think that Lipedema site is a scam.... the photo compares 2 fit looking women, nothing that looks like a difference between a size 8 and 18. It may be a real issue, but the photos are not of people suffering from it.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast