Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies... How do you lose the thighs?!? page 19

Ketonkoerper is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    5'7" and 117lbs? My thought is you have a bit of fat concentrated in one area and you fixate on it. That is so very slender. You have wider set hips from your measurements and that might accentuate or exaggerate what is really a very small frame.

You're good, I guess that's exactly my situation. I have most of my fat stored on my thighs and that contrast is what makes the fat seem to stand out. And I have wide hips.

Maybe you're shorter, but I'm 23, for me it's easier to maintain this weight. Age makes such a difference. When I was 16 I could eat crap all day long and I was skinny. Now only a few years have passed and so much has changed. If I change my way of eating only for a week I can slowly see the pounds piling on.

Not sure what hip thrusts are. Do you mean this? http://followthelita.files.wordpress...ining_u129.jpg
    5' 7'' - current weight: 117-119 pounds - starting weight: 132 pounds
    English is not not my native language, so if you find mistakes, please tell me. I'm always happy to learn

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketonkoerper View Post
    You're good, I guess that's exactly my situation. I have most of my fat stored on my thighs and that contrast is what makes the fat seem to stand out. And I have wide hips.

Maybe you're shorter, but I'm 23, for me it's easier to maintain this weight. Age makes such a difference. When I was 16 I could eat crap all day long and I was skinny. Now only a few years have passed and so much has changed. If I change my way of eating only for a week I can slowly see the pounds piling on.

Not sure what hip thrusts are. Do you mean this? http://followthelita.files.wordpress...ining_u129.jpg
    I'm 47 now! Just wait. Let's get one thing straight: YOU ARE STILL SKINNY! Or thin. Or whatever you wish to name it. You are. Some of us (me included), for some reason, want to stay built like a prepubescent for our entire lives. Most of us (again, me included) go through puberty and develop fat stores that are PROTECTIVE and BEAUTIFUL.

BUT, I wish I had been 23 when I started eating well. You will surely reap the benefits.

Hip thrusters (for me) are when I'm lying on the ground with my legs bent; feet a few inches from my rear end. I lift my butt into the air and 'thrust' the hips up while keeping my upper back/head on the floor. Do 15 with both feet on the ground and 15 each with one leg held as straight up into the air as possible. Keep arms at side to maintain balance. Several sets.

Oh, just what the link shows. But I keep my feet flat.

*your English is great*

~Pam

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    I'm 47 now! Just wait. Let's get one thing straight: YOU ARE STILL SKINNY! Or thin. Or whatever you wish to name it. You are. Some of us (me included), for some reason, want to stay built like a prepubescent for our entire lives. Most of us (again, me included) go through puberty and develop fat stores that are PROTECTIVE and BEAUTIFUL.
    That sounds exactly like me . I just think I looked my best during or in the middle of puberty, now losing weight is maybe my way of dealing with it. At the moment I would call myself slim, for skinny I have not enough bones showing

I think so too, I'm so glad I have the internet. Without it I would still torture myself with some strange diets.

I think this exercise is good, I tried it before, but stopped when it wasn't exhausting anymore. I didn't know how to add weights to it. I'll try it again with one leg held up

Thank you, I really try to learn as much as I can about English. Maybe I should rephrase that. I just want people to know that it's not my native language if they should find any mistakes.
    English is not not my native language, so if you find mistakes, please tell me. I'm always happy to learn

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    You can do something similar to the hip thrusters with your legs on a stability ball. Works the hamstrings and the "core".
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Leida is offline Senior Member
    On the diet side, the one thing that might help is to tip the balance towards O3 fats from O6. One of the hypothesis of the fat deposition on thighs is that you store the component for childbirthing in the fat on the thighs that you get from O3 foods. The less O3 you get, the more fat you store.

So, don't eat pork, chicken skin, but instead eat plenty of salmon, sardines and grass-fed beef & lamb. Chose macadamia nuts and flax seed over the other nuts.

Overall, though, the super-curve you have now with the 14 inches difference will change after you have given birth. You will accumulate more fat around the waist and less on your hip. In many cases women actually would lose hip and thigh fat after child birth and breastfeeding. But, you will pad out the waist. It's the joys of the pear shaped figure.

My best advice to the fellow pear-shapers sufferers is not to concentrate on the exercise for the thighs, but instead on the upper body to even the shape out and make it more hour-glass. Biking and skating (ice and inline) is said to help with thighs by creating more bloodflow to the stubborn fat area and helping mobilize fat.

The problem with the strength routine that target muscule of the upper leg (hip thrusters, deadlifts, squats, lunges, etc) that they will help the muscule grow without mobilizing the fat. So, they will make the leg look bigger. I have read about the PT who trained runway models, and he made them do lunges and no squats to avoid the quad over-growth (that would make the leg heavier). Any weight you want to apply, you want on the back of the leg, on the hamstring, to give it a sweep, rather than bulk on the quad. Kettlebell swings are very good because they combine the emphasis on the ham and the dynamic powerful cardio motion and are naturally HIT.
    Last edited by Leida; 11-21-2012 at 05:45 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You can do something similar to the hip thrusters with your legs on a stability ball. Works the hamstrings and the "core".
    Ooooh. That one is good, too.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    trained runway models
    I'm sorry but this phrase made me laugh.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Leida is offline Senior Member
    The theme of the show was athletism, with the models carrying around the weights and all that, so they were too look more like fitness models. I believe he has the point about not overgrowing the quad with squats, because of the women's propensity in general to be quad dominated AND to accumulate fat on the thigh and hip. Deadlifts are a better exercise for a pear-shaped woman, as it has the same or greater effect on the core and focuses on the back of the leg rather than a thigh. Split squats are also a Good Thing. I would not squat 3x a week once you've build up to squatting your BW and stalled. It just grinds after that with no much progress and exhaustion as a result. 1-2x a week is plenty for heavy squats.
    Last edited by Leida; 11-22-2012 at 07:02 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Meh, women with thighs and calves can wear skinny jeans, you just need ones that are cut properly. I love mine. I think my muscular thighs and calves look fantastic in leggings and slim-cut jeans (even with the fact that I don't ever wear heels either), and I get loads of attention of the positive kind when I wear them.

I wear a bikini when I feel like it too. I'm no twig (5'8", 150 lbs, 20% fat) but why should I hide away? Maybe I'm not the hottest thing on legs, but I've decided that I am going to enjoy my body and my life and stop avoiding things because someone might cluck over my cellulite.
    Same. But I'm 5 ft 7, 128 (last I checked which was over a year ago now, i think), and 18% body fat (or so -- haven't tested in months). 36-26-37 are my measurements, too.

Part of this is just being happy with yourself. I have so many little capillary breaks on ym face, on my body. . . what so what? most people don't even notice. And, I discovered a place that can do the lasers properly and at least attend to the ones on my face. Still, all good. I don't wear a bag on my head because my capillary is broken.

I learned that weight doesn't matter much. The measurements are much more important. What does it help when I get down to nearly 115 pounds, but the fat on my thighs won't move an inch? I think if I lost more weight I would look like a clown, I noticed a few days ago that I lost a lot of muscle on my stupid diet. Now I'm eating more and try to build it up again.

I don't really buy the pear shaped women storing fat for giving birth theory. All women are supposed to give birth. Why on earth would some store their fat only on their thighs? That's impractical. I also think that my body has restricted access to this fat supply as I would lose muscle and all the fat on my upper body before I would even lose one mm off my thighs. I think it's some kind of disorder, I read that it could be estrogen dominance.

I think my O3 to O6 ratio isn't so bad, but I'll pay more attention to that. Does anyone know a site where I can track my calories and where this ratio is calculated or something similar?

Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast