Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies... How do you lose the thighs?!? page 14

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    For anyone who might be interested, here is an article comparing/contrasting Bar Method, Physique57, and Barre3.

Looks like I got extremely lucky by living in Portland .... because Barre3's emphasis on posture and elongation is precisely what I need.

Madonna picks barre3 by Sadie Lincoln.* * Which barre workout is right for you? - mizzFIT

The comments are interesting and insightful.
    Last edited by TigerLily; 08-06-2011 at 09:42 PM.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Me too. I have what would usually be considered a Man Job, and part of it is vaulting over walls, lifting iron gates and the like. I'm one of those people that tells women they're not going to bulk up unless they get on steroids.

I'm thinking you're right. It's a guy that believes we all work out with pink 1 pound dumbells.
    I said most not all. I am talking about the same women you tell that they are not going to bulk up if they do anything more intense than the yogaspinzumba class.

Quote Originally Posted by chima_p View Post
    I said most not all. I am talking about the same women you tell that they are not going to bulk up if they do anything more intense than the yogaspinzumba class.
    You know we ran those chicks off a long time ago, chima.

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    You know I did classical ballet for over 10 years when I was younger, and every week had an extra lesson called warm up, which is the same as these barre method exercises. To be honest I was at a very good school and was with many that went professional. There were many with really good physiques and very good muscle development, and there were some strong thighs.

I think the shape that you get from something like Barre 3 or the bar method is what makes it different. Changing your muscles like this will take time but I certainly think for women generally that the muscles look great.

I am nearly 40 and as I lose weight I can see the ballet muscles coming back from when I was younger and they look good. I consider myself very lucky that my mother sent me to a good ballet school as it has been a benefit that I will carry for the rest of my life.

Tigerlily it sounds like you have a great class and my only piece of advice is make sure the teacher pays attention to you and your posture as there are a lot of teachers of dance and yoga that do not have a single notion of correct posture. Ask questions.

This is of course not spot reducing, but if you have underdeveloped or not the best shaped muscles (and I do believe it helps with shape) then there is nothing wrong with doing some focused exercises, that will be revealed as fat is lost.

Of course there are limits as to change but I think most people (including men) would see good changes if they included regular isometric / barre exercises.

Do not compare these type of exercises with your weekly dance class in the church hall, they are not the same.

Another great exercise if you have a body of water near you is to tread water, great for arms and legs. And 50 ballet plies a day in second position.

I must say I am a little surprised at some of the comments. Just because n=1 does not mean you cannot be open minded.

Thanks for posting the you tube clips.
    Life. Be in it.

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    Body weight exercises are proven time and time again, old school effective. Do you really think tribes are jetting themselves off to the local goodlife to rock-out with a bunch of dumbells? Obviously the best goal is to get anyone off the couch but, chima, lets see you drop down and do proper 1-arm push-ups or pistol squats. Functional strong is what strength should be about. Being able to do those things will give you the body (and useful) strength that you need.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    ANy strength training beats no strength training. Whatever rocks a lady's boat: dumbells, bars, body weight... The only disadvantage of the body weight is that weight goes down as one loses weight, so you will have to compensate with adding a free weight anyway. So, might as well do free weights. I like body weight excersises, so I do them as support. For me, one of the prudest and the most disbelieving moments in my life was when my chin flew over the bar on a chin-ups. It still a magical feeling. But there is something about that rythm of working with a barbell for me that just tickles me.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

geostump is online now Senior Member
    @MamaGrok, Ohio is very flat from the western edge to the mid-central part of the state. Doesn't really get hilly until you hit Appalachia and about 10-15 miles north & east of where I live, you get the beginnings of rolling hills. Where I live is fairly flat farmland. I'm about 25 miles NE of Columbus which really doesn't have much in the way of hill going for it.
    Georgette

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    I'm just posting this cause I thought it was interesting. The Borders book store near me is going out of business, so I bought Taubes' "Why We Get Fat" and Ferris's "4 Hour Body." This is one of the bonus chapters on the 4HB blog.

Ferris did an experiment using a topical cream and actually saw 'spot reduction' results (so it would still be true that one can't 'spot reduce' through exercise). Don't know that I would ever try this myself... again, just found it neat to read and thought I'd share:

Spot Reduction Revisited: Removing Stubborn Thigh Fat

It's been several months since I checked into that, sjmc, and I'm not aware of the latest. But back then I could find no positive testimonials anywhere, and the few testimonials I could find at all were negative. There were also big problems with getting the product, many complaints about a big backlog. It's got a whopping 2-star rating on Amazon.

But Taubes' claim to Ferris that aminophylline does the trick has intrigued me, and I had considered experimenting with making my own cream using aminophylline. I was checking into it, but became discouraged by all the negative reviews and dropped it.

Now, there are some products that have remarkably high ratings by many women for cellulite removal .... but that is a different topic entirely.
    Last edited by TigerLily; 08-08-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Might as well rub coffee grounds with olive oil in. At least it will exfoliate the dead skin. Come, folks, let's be realistic here.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast